Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: comotose squirrel?

Default comotose squirrel?

Hi everyone,
    Well, I work at a vet office, and someone brought in a baby squirrel yesterday afternoon. He is roughly 7 to 10 days old. I was told that he fell from a nest very high up, and looking at him, he has quite the contusion on the top of him head- very bruised looking. One of the vets looked at him and offered some Dex SP 2% for swelling, which we did. Too small to get a vein for Mannitol, So I have been giving him drops of Dextrose 50%, and SQ fluids. Have kept him warm and put him with my other little guy that is close in age. I'll name him Randy. Randy is very limp and pale and I can't seem to stimulate any pee out of him. Is there any suggestions for this liitle guy, anyone? Do I just wait it out and do what I'm doing now? I tried to give him some formula this AM, but darn near asphyxiated him. He's ok, but I was feeling desparate for his nutrition status. I just wish there was something else I could do.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: comotose squirrel?

sometimes you cannot turn them around..sad as that sounds...
    my advise is slow...drop by drop..
    will he, is he able to swallow..
    if i am close and you would like to passhim to someone, i am an old stay home mom and will try.
    have you rubbed molasses or log cabin om his gums, sometimes bring up blood sugar will spark some life.
    God bless you for trying

Hi!
    I'm glad you're helping this baby.

IR has a great check list / instruction "manual" for first found babies. I hope someone here can find it and post it because I can't seem to locate the stickie.

The baby is probably not be peeing because s/he is so dehydrated. Don't worry about that now.

I'm sorry to hear the little one is so hurt. I am hoping s/he'll come around. It will probably take awhile to see improvement.
    Others are surely posting right now with more info!

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre
    Hi!
    I'm glad you're helping this baby.

IR has a great check list / instruction "manual" for first found babies. I hope someone here can find it and post it because I can't seem to locate the stickie.

The baby is probably not be peeing because s/he is so dehydrated. Don't worry about that now.

I'm sorry to hear the little one is so hurt. I am hoping s/he'll come around. It will probably take awhile to see improvement.
    Others are surely posting right now with more info!

Is this what you were looking for?

EMERGENCY CARE FOR BABY SQUIRRELS
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21626

And then there is this one:
    I FOUND A BABY SQUIRREL, NOW WHAT??
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=11782

Pierre, if you click on "emergency" (or any category for that matter) look down at all of the threads, the stickies are the first ones posted in each section.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I am doing what I know. I just feel so helpless for this little guy. I don't think he is swallowing. He does seem to be moving his arms and legs more and I am trying to stimulate him with caresses. Jackie, I am located in Citrus county Florida.

lilidukes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie in Tampa
    sometimes you cannot turn them around..sad as that sounds...
    my advise is slow...drop by drop..
    will he, is he able to swallow..
    if i am close and you would like to passhim to someone, i am an old stay home mom and will try.
    have you rubbed molasses or log cabin om his gums, sometimes bring up blood sugar will spark some life.
    God bless you for trying
    jit just very recently save one by using the molasses followed by a wee bit of FV!

Okay, I have molasses. FV? I guess my brain is not working yet! what is FV?

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Patty
    Fox Valley Formula

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Patty, if the baby will take fluids by mouth -- even drop by drop -- I would focus on getting him/her hydrated with Pedialyte or Ringers over the next 4-5 hrs. If he won't take anything by mouth then you'll need to sub-Q. Dehydration is the primary cause of lack of appetite and lethargy so that must be addressed first.

BTW if you haven't sub-Q'd many baby squirrels, we generally find the skin around the shoulders and haunches on either side to be a good place.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Here is their site:
    http://foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asp

Or you can just purchase it from one of our members.This is our members site:
    http://henryspets.com

You would need the 32/40 formula. This cannot be purchased in stores. Perhaps you are close to a member that can give you some until your order arrives...

It seems like a drop in the mouth is okay; I think anymore than that at a time is not good. I think his brain has really been affected, just the way he moves his arms and legs and postures. I have been giving him LRS under his skin mostly around his upper back area where there is more 'give' in the skin. I do have Fox Valley formula, but I guess I have to wait right now and do the glucose/molasses until he comes around more. I do think it is helping to have a litter mate in with him for stimulation. They love to be touched and to touch.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

dip the nipple or q tip in molasses...smear it on the gums...
    the mouth is the most absorbant membrane in mammels...
    do not dilute or anything...just get it on or in his mouth, a wee dab will do it..bringing his sugar levels up will cease any glycemic seizures and stimulate appetite...
    even in a sq that is very lethargic {I actually think this is the best medicine when they are lethargic}
    oral hydration is also better than Sub Q as long as they can swallow...drop by drop is life saving..
    I agree with the pedi advise IR has given...
    if the sq is emaciated, I would start adding dilute formula, as nothing thrives wthout nutrition and formula is hydration, yet pedi is a must in the beginning to get the electrolytes headed in the right direction...

brain damage posturing is sooo obvious to someone who knows what they are seeing, this is heartbreaking of course. But many sq live happy lives and over come the obstacles if it's meant to be.

Good luck and thank you...
    kiss the little monkey, let him feel your heartbeat...love heals

Hey everybody! Randy, the little boy squirrel is coming out of it!!! He is moving his arms and legs better and is holding his head alittle better. He still is pretty flaccid (sp?) but really seems to be taking a step forward! I am so happy! Thank you all for your help and words of wisdom and encouragement. I will be posting some updates tomorrow.
    Jackie -- the girls at work teasingly call me the squirrel kisser! I don't mind; I'm a kisser - I've always kissed my children alot, and now that they have grown up and are not at home now, well, the squirrels have to put up with me!!!

lilidukes Guest

good news! Please kiss that baby for me at least 100 times a day. Squirrels Love kisses especially the belly ones.

That is great news! Your hard and loving work is paying off. I'll be checking back on little Randy. Good luck

Great news, Patty! You're doing beautifully....Randy's in good hands
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by lilidukes
    good news! Please kiss that baby for me at least 100 times a day. Squirrels Love kisses especially the belly ones.
    What she said. And 100 more kisses from me too.

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat
    What she said. And 100 more kisses from me too.
    Better add 100 more ... I want in on some of that action.

Patty ~ Randy

Hey everybody! Randy, the little boy squirrel is coming out of it!!! He is moving his arms and legs better and is holding his head alittle better. He still is pretty flaccid (sp?) but really seems to be taking a step forward! I am so happy! Thank you all for your help and words of wisdom and encouragement. I will be posting some updates tomorrow.
    Jackie -- the girls at work teasingly call me the squirrel kisser! I don't mind; I'm a kisser - I've always kissed my children alot, and now that they have grown up and are not at home now, well, the squirrels have to put up with me!!!

This is proof that taking it personal makes a big difference! Way to go, as one person said we (rehabbers) are mother nature's back up plan! Keep us update and post up a pick or two when you get a chane.....
    You can love them, raise them and let them go.....after that, they are in mother nature's care...........Welcome to the nut house!

Home to Leroy & Lisa ... ...some just know they have it good I guess!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast