Thread: Loss of appetite...

mandymc Guest

Default Loss of appetite...

My fox squirrel Hank has always had a great appetite. He has never left food in his bowl, until the last few weeks. He is about a year and a half old and I am feeding him a healthy diet according to TSB, but he doesn't seem very interested in his food. He's eating a little bit, and he doesn't turn away fruit or nuts, but he has lost some weight and I'm getting worried. He eats only a little of his veggies or his blocks, the Kaytees or even the Henry's blocks he loved. Could it be a hormonal thing? Maybe he wants a girlfriend. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you so much!

Default Re: Loss of appetite...

With him losing weight its some thing you diffidently have to watch as we dont want him to continue to loose more weight.
    \\\\\\\
    Have you tried just placing a few items in a bowl per feeding and making him eat it before you give him any thing for his next feeding?
    I would suggest that first, as not to create a PICKY EATER.... and you can check out this lick:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=27996

Have you ever taken this little guy to the vet for a check up?
    .... if NOT, maybe its time.

You need to check his teeth.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

mandymc Guest

He has lost a little weight, but he was probably a little overweight to begin with. He looks pretty healthy and is active. I have been holding back things like fruit and nuts until he eats his veggies and blocks. I will try to check his teeth. Maybe I should check with my local vet to see if she would be willing to see him. I'm not sure what the rules are here, but I think my husband mentioned to them that we have a squirrel and they didn't act like that was a big problem. From the people I've talked to, it seems to be pretty common around here to have had one at some point. I've actually done a little educating with people who told me they had squirels. The first thing I ask them is what they are feeding them. You wouldn't beleive how many people think you can raise a squirrel on corn and nuts - even peanut butter cookies! I send them to TSB. You guys are life savers - literally!
    Thanks for your help!

mandymc Guest

Just checked his teeth. They look ok. He just took a Keytee block and gobbled it up. When I cleaned out his house earlier, I found 4 Henry's blocks he didn't eat. He has always eaten his blocks really well. He's just always been a little piggie, so it's unusual for him to not gobble everything up. I thought maybe he was tired of the same ol thing so I've tried different types of lettuces and different veggies. He is eating some, just not with his usual gusto. So far today he has had a Kaytee block, 2 striped sunflower seeds, two small peices of lettuce and a green bean. Oh, and a couple multigrain Cheerios. Guess that's not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mandymc
    He has lost a little weight, but he was probably a little overweight to begin with. He looks pretty healthy and is active. I have been holding back things like fruit and nuts until he eats his veggies and blocks. I will try to check his teeth. Maybe I should check with my local vet to see if she would be willing to see him. I'm not sure what the rules are here, but I think my husband mentioned to them that we have a squirrel and they didn't act like that was a big problem. From the people I've talked to, it seems to be pretty common around here to have had one at some point. I've actually done a little educating with people who told me they had squirels. The first thing I ask them is what they are feeding them. You wouldn't beleive how many people think you can raise a squirrel on corn and nuts - even peanut butter cookies! I send them to TSB. You guys are life savers - literally!
    Thanks for your help!
    Ask your vet first before you bring him in. I have two foxers...both a year old...and both are losing weight right now. Look outside at the wilds....its their "skinny" time. Not only are they losing all the fur they had this winter....they are sliming down as they are storing more food instead of eating it. Check his cage to see if he is just making bigger stashes...as its instinct even when in a house to prepare for winter. Both of my foxers right now only consume half of what they do in spring and winter. But their stashes are getting bigger and bigger. My male has lost weight too...again...normal for this part of the year.
    Does your squirrel look more orange to you right now??? If so...then a lot of what you see as weight loss...may be shedding. Now is the time when they shed...and prepare for a new winter coat which is more of a brownish than orange. Ever notice how he looks darker in the winter??
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

Quote Originally Posted by mandymc
    Just checked his teeth. They look ok. He just took a Keytee block and gobbled it up. When I cleaned out his house earlier, I found 4 Henry's blocks he didn't eat. He has always eaten his blocks really well. He's just always been a little piggie, so it's unusual for him to not gobble everything up. I thought maybe he was tired of the same ol thing so I've tried different types of lettuces and different veggies. He is eating some, just not with his usual gusto. So far today he has had a Kaytee block, 2 striped sunflower seeds, two small peices of lettuce and a green bean. Oh, and a couple multigrain Cheerios. Guess that's not so bad.
    LOL...yep....he's just making bigger stashes. I wouldn't worry...it what he was wired to do!! If your foxer will actually eat rodent block...then I would say he's probably just fine. Mine wont touch it.....no way...no how. Unless its a Boo ball....then they are gone in a flash!
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

Just a warning it is illegal in Mo to have a pet squirrel. So if your going to take him to a vet make sure the vet is safe or he can be confiscated and pts and you fined.

I would personally agree with 4S and check his teeth.

mandymc Guest

Thanks guys! I feel better. I'll keep an eye on him, but he seems fine. It probably is a normal behavior for him. He ate pretty well tonight. He has always eaten his Kaytee blocks heartily and the HHB's when I started getting them too. He seems to prefer the Kaytees right now, but he may be planning to save the HHB's as a nice winter snack!