Thread: Question: proper squirrel nutrition w/ little resources

margarethmt Guest

Default Question: proper squirrel nutrition w/ little resources

Hello,

I just bought a 3 mo old squirrel from the local pet shop (I am an American living in China, squirrels are sold as legal pets here).

How can I feed my squirrel a proper diet? I will not be able to purchase rat blocks until one month later (I'll be making a trip to the US), and they are not sold here in China. The pet shop owner was feeding him sunflower seeds and fruits, but I know that is not a proper diet.

I have been feeding him fresh fruits and veggies, hardboiled egg white, and a few almonds (I cut back on the sunflower seeds). What else can I supplement to his diet? I need a temporary healthy diet (a home recipe would help) for one month before I can get access to rat blocks.

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Question: proper squirrel nutrition w/ little resources

Rat blocks are NOT a stable diet for squirrels. they need more then that..they need fresh fruits veggies and nuts are more of a treat. There is a section here on the forums called Nutrition...well worth the time reading through. Were will yor squirrel be when you travel to the US? Many times squirrels become a one person pet and will not take kindly to sitters...it can be hard to find a good squrrel sitter that your squirrel will accept.

My opinion squirrels should not be pets they belong in the wild. Any squirrel you see in a pet store was very likely stolen from the wild, I have not heard of them breeding in captivity.

margarethmt Guest

thesquirrelboard.com lists rodent blocks as comprising the bulk of squirrels' diets (75%) and veggies 2nd (20%).

http://thesquirrelboard.com/squirrel_nutrition.htm

I will only be gone a few days (less than one week). They are bred in captivity here in China to be sold as pets, from Dongbei province.

Quote Originally Posted by margarethmt
    thesquirrelboard.com lists rodent blocks as comprising the bulk of squirrels' diets (75%) and veggies 2nd (20%).

http://thesquirrelboard.com/squirrel_nutrition.htm

I will only be gone a few days (less than one week). They are bred in captivity here in China to be sold as pets, from Dongbei province.
    Welcome!

They may say they breed them, but, IMO, most likely they lie, especially, if squirrels are legal pets (i.e., they know they won't be held legally accountable for having/selling 'pet' squirrels). If squirrels don't breed in captivity in the rest of the world, it shouldn't really be any different in China. Even if there is a chance of probability, a very small chance (1 out of ...?...1000000) of getting a pair to breed in captivity (flukes can happen), it will be a very rare chance and definitely not sufficient to maintain successful business. To keep business going there must be a constant flow of goods (in this case, babies) and it's just very improbable.

Anyways, that aside, the rodent blocks suggested here on TSB are different from just any rat block. They are intended specifically for squirrels' nutritional needs. These blocks can either be purchased from www. henryspets.com, or made from sratch - there are recipes in our Nutrition section.

If some of the ingredients are unavailable in China, substitutes can be found. There are people from Eastern Europe who couldn't find all the ingredients and ended up finding substitutes... but I don't remember details here.

Please feel free to post all your questions - people here will be happy to share their experience and knowledge.

Regardless of whether or not the squirrel was bought (legally or legally since it IS in China), we want to help you get that baby on the right track.

Could you possibly take a picture for us?

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

"The winds of Heaven blow between the ears of a horse"

Quote Originally Posted by astra
    Welcome!

They may say they breed them, but, IMO, most likely they lie, especially, if squirrels are legal pets (i.e., they know they won't be held legally accountable for having/selling 'pet' squirrels). If squirrels don't breed in captivity in the rest of the world, it shouldn't really be any different in China. Even if there is a chance of probability, a very small chance (1 out of ...?...1000000) of getting a pair to breed in captivity (flukes can happen), it will be a very rare chance and definitely not sufficient to maintain successful business. To keep business going there must be a constant flow of goods (in this case, babies) and it's just very improbable.

Anyways, that aside, the rodent blocks suggested here on TSB are different from just any rat block. They are intended specifically for squirrels' nutritional needs. These blocks can either be purchased from www. henryspets.com, or made from sratch - there are recipes in our Nutrition section.

If some of the ingredients are unavailable in China, substitutes can be found. There are people from Eastern Europe who couldn't find all the ingredients and ended up finding substitutes... but I don't remember details here.

Please feel free to post all your questions - people here will be happy to share their experience and knowledge.

Um, actually, rat blocks ARE good for them. Both Mazuri and Harlan Teklad make a lab rat block that are very inexpensive and very good quality. My squirrel eats Harlan Teklad blocks daily, along with HHBs and other things.

Margarethmt— Hi Welcome to the Squirrel Board. Thank you so much for saving this squirrel from a local pet shop. May I ask what kind of squirrel it is? Can you post a picture?

You are correct that rodent block is Good for squirrels, you can actually buy them online through one of the members here, here website is http://henryspets.com and perhaps she can mail it to China for you, or, you could make the recipe yourself.

I’m Not a rehabber, but I have PMd 4skwerlz our nutrition expert here to let her know about your question.

Once again, thank you so much for saving this squirrel from eating only sunflower seeds.

Look forward to seeing your squirrel, oh boy or girl? And what is his/her name?
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

margarethmt Guest

Smile Re: Question: proper squirrel nutrition w/ little resources

Everybody,

Thank you so much for all of the helpful replies and warm welcome!

I have not taken pictures of Peanut (boy) yet, but will post them once I do. I am very curious what breed he is, since I couldnt find any info on him online. I look forward to your inputs!

He looks like a smaller variety of the common Grey. Grey overall, with white underbelly, but he does have a streak of red sandwiched between the grey and white coat. His tail is dark brown, almost black. The shop also had a "red" version of his type. But they weren't like the US's Red Squirrels, more like a dark brown with hint of red.

I have visited HHP's website-- so glad they ship internationally! I have already place an order online.

Looking forward to more of your inputs, I am sure I will come back to this forum again and again with questions

Margarethmt—
    Peanut sounds handsome can't wait to see what he looks like! I wonder if he's like a tree squirrel! I'm so excited. We only have grey squirrels and chipmunks where I live, so it's nice to see different squirrels.

Do you have any questions about what kind of veggies and things or anything else, just ask, everyone is really Nice and Helpful around here.
    OK, I'll see you later.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

So happy you got such good advice! ( I think the comment about rat blocks not a good stable diet was meant that it isn't good for then to ONLY get the blocks.
    squirrels love variety )

I can hardly wait to see your little buddy and glad you saved him from the pet store
    Tribute to my dear Wheezer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfmpVgdwCi8
    New favorites squirrel video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu22KiUQFmY

I decided to pull some of my favorite links for you about nutrition—here they are:

1. Nutrition: The Squirrel Board > Help Needed! > Squirrel Nutrition

2. Food Date Chart Update: Calcium to Phosphorus Ratios: This is great because it lists all the foods right there for you with the Calcium to Phosphorus Ratios—look at that first, I like this one: The Squirrel Board > Help Needed! > Squirrel Nutrition > Food Date Chart Update: Calcium to Phosphorus Ratios

3. Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels: The Squirrel Board > Help Needed! > Squirrel Nutrition > Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels

4. HEALTHY DIET FOR PET SQUIRRELS: The Squirrel Board > General > Breed Specific, Pet Squirrels, and UK Information. > Pet Squirrel Forum > Pet Squirrels Forum > HEALTHY DIET FOR PET SQUIRRELS >
      Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
      Natural sunlight. 1 hour per day in an outdoor cage or screened porch during the warm months provides Vit D and will help keep your squirrel healthy. An open window screened with aluminum screening or hardware cloth is another option. Indoors, a full-spectrum light (FSL) for 8 hrs per day is the next-best thing; although it does not provide Vit D, it is believed to have other health benefits.
    5. Homemade Squirrel Block Recipe-Revised 01/31/10: The Squirrel Board > Help Needed! > Squirrel Nutrition > Homemade Squirrel Block Recipe-Revised 01/31/10

6. Henry's Healthy Blocks: (or you can buy them pre—made) The Squirrel Board > Help Needed! > Squirrel Nutrition > Henry's Healthy Pets

I hope I didn’t include too much stuff, but I wanted to pass along the information I thought was most helpful!
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Rainy9 Guest

Is this similar to what your squirrel looks like?
    http://www.mikedowney.co.uk/blosxom/...irrel_grab.jpg

margarethmt Guest

What kind of squirrel is this?Name:  DSC04092.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  229.9 KB

What a beautiful little thing...
    don't know what kind...bone structure seems different from grays...or any other NA squirrels...
    However, it looks somewhat like a Eurasian red whose ear tufts have been cut off (wouldn't be surprised if they did cut off the tufts at that shop for whatever reason)...
    but this is just my guess... would be very interesting to know what kind this is.

WOW...very cool looking squirrel... Good Luck with your diet ingredients...
    I have a Variegated, Tri-Color Tree Squirrel named Rama Rota. ( Black-White and Gold) He eats a lot of veges and fruits... many are odd looking fruits and are UNIQUE to this country. I live in Costa Rica and a lot of items are not readily available so you have to improvise.
    What is your squirrels name ??
    More photos--when you get a chance--He's a BEAUT !
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%
    Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING ( of Costa Rica )

What a beautiful baby! Thank you sooooooo much for saving him from what CAN happen when people sell creatures for profit to people who get creatures they're not prepared to care for. Can't wait to see more of the little guy.

Hello Margarethmt!

Peanut looks a handsome guy!

I'll put in more wood branches, woody furnitures, leafs, to simulate a natural habitat so little Peanut won't be home sick...

In addition, I think it is good to add cloth, and tie to a high edge.
    That way Peanut can get some exercise done with a little climbing to do.

Last but not least, include a soft toy about his size.
    I'll love to see him wrestle that thing! hAHa!!
    Peanut can use a spare blanket to keep warm

Lets do more to furnish his house! Some squirrely interior design

2 TSB

SiS, this is a very old thread.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    SiS, this is a very old thread.
    I hope he'll come back after a long time to find his thread is not empty, that his pet is doing well, and there are people interested

Hopefully he'll be back with pics and give us some updates:wott

I do hope the pet is doing okay, that is one beautiful squirrel

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.