Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Injured Squirrel in Ottawa, Ontario

laura brazil nut Guest

Default Help! Injured Squirrel in Ottawa, Ontario

We just found a young squirrel who can't seem to move his back legs. We're not sure, but he may have fallen out of a tree. His mother was calling desperately for him, but she left when it got dark. He was on the road clinging to the side of the curb, and he looked terrified. There are many cats in the neighbourhood, so we picked him up, put him in a box, and we now have him in a dark quiet spot in our apartment.

Our main concern is trying to find someone who can take the little guy in. Can someone help us to find a rehabber or wildlife rescue near Ottawa who can take in an injured squirrel? We live downtown and don't have a car.

Does anyone know if there is hope for him recovering, or is it likely that he will be put down?

Also, what should we do for him while we are trying to figure out where we can take him? Can we feed him, or give him water? He's young but not a small baby squirrel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tickle's Mom Guest

Default Re: Help! Injured Squirrel in Ottawa, Ontario

Hang on and someone with experience will be on shortly. Thanks for rescuing him.

Sorry-yes, you can offer him water for sure. If you have a heating pad, place his container half on/half off and make sure he is kept warm. Sending messages out for you now.

First, thank you for rescuing him. He would surely have met an awful death with those cats around.
    Canada in general is very tough regarding squirrels and treatment for them...there are few rehabbers or vets who will take in squirrels. That said, I will contact everyone I can think of in your entire country to see if we can get some help for you!
    In the meantime, you should keep him dark, warm and quiet and away from kids or pets. If his eyes are open and he's fully furred he may not need supplemental heat, but a younger baby should have its container half on a heating pad, half off. Don't think he can't escape just because his back legs don't work; they can climb trees like that! Secure his container well. Start with feeding him Pedialyte using a 1cc or 3cc syringe...SLOWLY. You can also make homemade Pedialyte:
    2 cups warm water
    3 tbs sugar
    1.5 tsp salt
    a little apple juice or apple sauce for taste.

AFter he's had fluids you can offer small chunks of apple, sweet potato, broccoli, or buds and branches from local trees.

Let me see who we have who might help you....BRB

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laura brazil nut
    We just found a young squirrel who can't seem to move his back legs. We're not sure, but he may have fallen out of a tree. His mother was calling desperately for him, but she left when it got dark. He was on the road clinging to the side of the curb, and he looked terrified. There are many cats in the neighbourhood, so we picked him up, put him in a box, and we now have him in a dark quiet spot in our apartment.

Our main concern is trying to find someone who can take the little guy in. Can someone help us to find a rehabber or wildlife rescue near Ottawa who can take in an injured squirrel? We live downtown and don't have a car.

Does anyone know if there is hope for him recovering, or is it likely that he will be put down?

Also, what should we do for him while we are trying to figure out where we can take him? Can we feed him, or give him water? He's young but not a small baby squirrel.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Always warm a baby first (one hour). Then you can offer him pedialyte.
    Here is a link that will help you.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21626
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=11782

Thanks for rescuing him.

First of, don't bring him to any wildlife centre or any of that - with no movement in back legs, they will put him to sleep 100%. Although, squirrels with similar injuries do recover sometimes, they won't want to wait that long and provide the kind of individualized care he needs.
    SO, PLEASE KEEP HIM - YOU WILL GET MUCH GUIDANCE HERE! (at least until we find someone trustworthy who could take him from you).

I am in Toronto. I wish I were closer.
    You said you don't have a car, but do you know anyone who does?... who could meet us half the way if we came to pick him up?

In the meantime, I will look for other ways to get him here (because we have a member who has experience with injured squirrels here)...
    I will have to talk to someone, but I won't see them till tomorrow;-(.

In the meantime, please see if there is anyone you know who could drive and meet us half the way.

Thanks!!!!!

I will be back as soon as I talk to a good acquaintance of mine here, how might be able to help.

Just want to say again:
    Please, don't give himto anyone, don't surrender him to anyone! Let's try and get him here! THanks!

PS. Tickle's Mom - thanks for directing me to this thread!

astra rocks for the squirrels, AGAIN!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

lilidukes Guest

for saving this baby!

Most important is to keep him/her contained limiting it's movement. We don't want it to injure it's self any more.

From experience with injured squirrels they usually will not take any food or drink for up to the first 24 hours. So don't sweat that. Offer water or rehydration fluids. Baby needs quiet and warmth.

Best wishes to all

Tickle's Mom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by astra
    Thanks for rescuing him.

First of, don't bring him to any wildlife centre or any of that - with no movement in back legs, they will put him to sleep 100%. Although, squirrels with similar injuries do recover sometimes, they won't want to wait that long and provide the kind of individualized care he needs.
    SO, PLEASE KEEP HIM - YOU WILL GET MUCH GUIDANCE HERE! (at least until we find someone trustworthy who could take him from you).

I am in Toronto. I wish I were closer.
    You said you don't have a car, but do you know anyone who does?... who could meet us half the way if we came to pick him up?

In the meantime, I will look for other ways to get him here (because we have a member who has experience with injured squirrels here)...
    I will have to talk to someone, but I won't see them till tomorrow;-(.

In the meantime, please see if there is anyone you know who could drive and meet us half the way.

Thanks!!!!!

I will be back as soon as I talk to a good acquaintance of mine here, how might be able to help.

Just want to say again:
    Please, don't give himto anyone, don't surrender him to anyone! Let's try and get him here! THanks!

laura brazil nut Guest

Thanks everyone. It's nice to know so many people love squirrels!

It would be great if someone can take this squirrel in. He's a feisty little guy, so I think he's a good candidate to make it through this with the right care. I also know that the likely alternative is to have him put down, and we really don't want that to happen.

We'll ask around for a possible ride. Unfortunately most of our downtown-dwelling friends are not car owners. We'll ask around anyway - perhaps a friend of a friend - but it's unlikely. (We asked around on a previous occasion when we rescued an injured bird and we didn't have much luck. Most people are not willing to go out of their way for an injured bird or squirrel.)

We live in an apartment and have a cat, so we don't have the ideal setting for keeping a squirrel for very long. Right now, he's in our storage room which is quiet, warm, well-ventilated, dark - and safe from our cat.

We brought him in last night around 8:30. I had one peek at him and he was very upset - making little snarling noises etc. How soon should we try to feed him something? Any suggestions on feeding him without hurting him or getting bitten? Is the pedialite mixture just for little baby squirrels? Because he's not a tiny baby, but has all his fur grown in. I don't have a syringe but assume that I can get one at a drug store. He's big enough that we were going to give him some nut meat, but someone suggested vegetables. Is that better than nuts?

Thanks again for your concern.

laura brazil nut Guest

Also, I just found the links to information posted by Momma2Boo. Very helpful info - thanks.

Can you post a pic?
    Yes to the syringe and the pedialyte...
    making it slighty warm will encourage him..rather than cold..
    be patient, go slow...you'll do great once he understands what's going on...
    if he is able to stand and sit up, also offer him/her a flat non tipable bowl of plain water.

have you seen poops or pee?

laura brazil nut Guest

The little guy is looking a bit better this morning than he did last night. He must have been exhausted when we found him - his back legs were sprawled out sideways - he looked very sad. But now he's on his tummy with his legs tucked under him. He's also dried out after having been in the rain yesterday. He's bright eyed and alert. Apart from his legs, he looks quite healthy.

I don't have a picture of him - he's a black squirrel so not easy to photograph under the best of circumstances. And he's still pretty frightened.

We may try to get a photo later when we feed him. I've never fed a baby squirrel, so I am a bit nervous about it. I don't want to hurt him, but I don't want him to make a run for it - even with his bad legs. I also don't want to get fluid in his lungs which I understand is really bad for them.

holding him upright and not tilted back is advised and SLOW is key..
    I recommend a 1cc syringe and a 3cc at the max if possible.
    You may want to wrap him in fleece or tshirt cut into pieces...no towels, the little nails can snag causing injury..
    do you have his container half on a heating pad set on low?

what are you feeding him? pedialyte?{please make sure everything is warm, but not hot.]
    is he hydrated, did you do the pinch test?
    did his skin tent?

I will post a link to a thread where there are three purple sub titles...
    these are written by 3 dynamo rehabbers and are loaded with baby sq info and are people friendly...
    from feeding to aging

oops...here's the link...

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21626

SORRY TO ASK SO MANY QUESTIONS...
    hoping your sq and astra can hook up...

laura brazil nut Guest

We haven't fed him anything yet - I'm just on my way out now to buy some squirrel supplies.

I definitely hope this little squirrel can hook up with Astra or someone else who can look after him.

I've sent out e-mails to friends. Also, my husband is playing in an outdoor music festival today, and if possible, he's going to make an announcement asking if anyone with a car would be able to help out an injured baby squirrel. It's a long shot, but who knows. We're crossing our fingers.

Thanks for all the support.

just to let you know: I've spoken to two people, waiting to hear back... will post as soon as I hear smth

hoping for the best, easiest solution...
    you all are great!!!

laura brazil nut Guest

Astra, I really appreciate you asking around. We're doing the same here.

I just finished giving the little guy some pedialyte. He was thirsty and really went after the dropper.

How often do we give him the pedialyte? Should we let him drink as much as he wants, or should we stop at some point, even if he still seems to be thirsty?

We put some bits of apple, broccoli, and pecans in the box with him but he didn't seem too interested in eating anything.

There were some blood stains on his bedding and his legs aren't any better. He seems able to move his feet a bit, but his legs have no strength. I hope he's not in pain.

Thanks again everyone

pedi is recommended for no more than 24 hours.
    be careful with the dropper, some say they are easy, some say dangerous...
    If no one is found soon, you will need to get goats milk {fresh is prefered, but canned will work. fresh is found in the dairy dept of grocery} and a full fat yogurt, i use vanilla, but plain is fine.
    Do not let him gorge himself, less more often is best for absorbtion with the pedi.
    Can you post a pic..were you able to age him?
    Is he on heat pad? half under the container, set on low, allowing him access to non heated area?
    I hope you can find a ride.

laura brazil nut Guest

Hi Jackie.

I didn't remember to take a picture. But I think this squirrel is just about at the nest-leaving age. Mom was still around, but he's a pretty big youngster.

I believe we'll be able to get goat's milk. How do we feed him goat's milk and yogurt? Do I mix that together and feed it to him with the dropper or syringe?

He's not on a heating pad. Our storage space is the only reasonably safe, dark, quiet place we have to keep the squirrel, and there are no outlets in or near there. A covered hot water bottle is the best we've been able to do.

We really need a proper home for this little guy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast