Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Symptoms of metabolic bone disease???

gingchamp Guest

Default Re: Symptoms of metabolic bone disease???

one tablet is 750 miligrams

gingchamp Guest

on the esbilac i believe is a golden retriever puppy

Hear is a few site you can visit later when things settle down. You have to get her Started on either Henry's Healthy Blocks. Or A Rodent Block for Rats. The Henry's is made just for Squirrels This is a complete diet, as long as you feed a Healthy Vegetable and Leafy green diet. Tell your HB. NO MORE NUTS!!! """My Squirrels would boycott and hold this computer hostage, if I stopped giving nuts.""" Just a nut a day as a treat. I will give a whole nut for them to open. After the Vegatables have been eaten.
    http://henryspets.com
    http://foxvalleynutrition.com/main/prod.asp
    http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/

gingchamp Guest

Thank you so much for all your info! This is a wonderful forum with amazing people! Im so happy to know that there are other people out there just like myself! Most people I know think Im crazy for loving and caring so much about squirrels!

Esbilac has changed the formula. The Golden Retriever is still the old formula. That is good. Go ahead and mix up a small amount and see if she will take some. We Recommend FoxVally. What a lot of members do is mix it into some yogurt. This needs to be a full fat yogurt. (The one recommend is YoBaby Vanilla Yogurt, made by SpringVally.)1TBS formula to 1/12 TBS of Full fat yogurt. This can be added on the side of the Veg dish. You can put it in a bottle cape, or offer it as a treat through a syringe. You have my number Call me tomorrow I will explain. If you would like, PM a phone number for me to call you. It will not cost you anything. I don't mind helping you out with all of this in the weeks to come.

How is your Little girl doing? Did she eat the whole Tums? Did you find out what the MG were on the Tums? If she finished the Tums offer her some water. You can also offer her half a Tums. If she does not eat it. That is fine.

NUTS NUTS That is what we all are here at TSB!
    By the way Welcome to the Squirrel Board.
    I know you will be right at home hear. When you get a chance check out some of the cites. Nutrition being one of the first one to read. There is a lot of wonderful information available. There are a lot of Rehabbers and License Rehabbers with good advice.
    You just have to be patient and read through the information. Loads of help!
    Now What is your Squirrels name? What kind is she? Tomorrow we will find if someone who is up close to you that can help if you ever need it. Don't worry No one will try taking your baby Girl away from you. We don't work that way hear.
    We just try to guide you in the right direction of Nutrition and when you need help we offer it. Even in Illegal states.

PS
    YoBaby is made by StonyField. It is a organic yogurt.

GingChamp How is your Little Girl doing? She should be showing a little improvement. Is she drinking any water?

GingChamp
    I need to go feed my babies and a critical Flying Squirrel. I will leave the computer on. I will check back in about 30 min.
    If you need anything just post the question. I will be back shortly. If you need to get off. Just post that is what you are going to do.
    I will alert a few other Senior Rehabbers, that you will be checking in tomorrow.
    Please If your Squirrel starts feeling much better. DON"T Leave. Keep posting updates for a few weeks. She is not out of the woods.
    This is just a band aid over the problem right now.

Hang tight, be back in 30 min.
    Christal

Just saw this thread. Is it okay to give Tums smoothies 750 mg peppermint flavored to a squirrel?

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ellymae
    Just saw this thread. Is it okay to give Tums smoothies 750 mg peppermint flavored to a squirrel?
    750mg calcium carbonate
    Actually you need to look at the ingredients for ELEMENTAL calcium...I believe that ends up being 320mg 10mg magnesium

You will need to give her a couple tablets a day...I find thye like the berry flavor.
    I have no idea what the reaction will be to peppermint. I've offered starlight mints just to see the reastion and they always turned their noses up at it.
    I guess it depends on the squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellymae
    Yes its fine to give them the peppermint flavored Tums. I give mine one or two a week just to chew on. They LOVE them. Just not sure about the smoothie kind. I use the plain ole regular.
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

Ok, just read the entire thread....please cut out the nuts if someone hasn't told you. Don't worry....she may be mad at you....but it will save her life and she will forgive you.
    Please keep us updated....she sounds like a real sweetheart!
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

squirrelington Guest

there seems to be a litteral sea of information out there regarding mbd in squirrels sometimes the whole calcium vs phosphorus thing gets confusing to me for instance i have a beautiful boy he is roughly 9 or 10 years of age and up until 2 weeks ago was acting normal and doing squirrel things just like any normal pet squirrel would but lately he has become lethargic and dose not have his normal appetite he is also sleeping much more and is not drinking his water as much as before over the years i have included plenty of fresh vegies and plenty of nuts in his diet and have also supplemented with additional calcium from time to time although not regularly i recently found out from this web site that nuts are not the best for pet squirrels hats off to all of you for your labor of love also he has not had too much acsess to unfiltered sunlight but i have provided him with uv lights in the past two days i have been giving him concentrated doses of calcium carbonate with vitamin d my first instinct for fear of loosing him mostly was to start mega dosing him with calcium ihave refrained from doing that however because i understand that more is not always better i have heard that hhb's are a good diet option but i have also heard that they contain ultra high levels of nutrients plus added whey protien which can cause kidney failure i have not noticed a change in energy levels in the two days of oral calcium doses and i am wondering is more necessary? i have talked to some of the rehabbers in the tampa bay area but they tend to disagree as to the proper treatment regimen other than to say calcium-calcium-calcium i live and work in tampa and i think the world of these rehabbers but more input is always appreciated it would be great if i could meet some other people who are learned on this subject even just to get some food for thought on this website would be great for example how long before i start to see improvement in my precious little boy or should i pursue drastic intervention measures by the way his name is little boy i will try to get some pictures as soon as i figure out how to post them i am a realative newcomer to the world of computers once again i sure would appreciate any help the good folks here could provide god bless signed dazed confused and desperate in tampa fl.

9 to 10 years old sounds almost in the geriatric age bracket for a squirrel. Maybe she is becoming arthritic??

Émile Zola

squirrelington, you should begin the Emergency Treatment for MBD immediately, without modification or hesitation, because it has proven to save squirrel lives over and over again!

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17677

As for the whey protein issue, I would like to see the documentation for this "causes kidney disease" thing that's going around. Recently I heard that Pet Ag took whey protein out of their Esbilac formula and the results were pretty much disastrous as far as baby squirrels were concerned. One or two HHB's per day is your adult squirrel's best insurance against MBD....it definitely sounds as if she has it now, but it's not too late to reverse it. Nuts MUST GO. Remember that in the wild, squirrels only get CERTAIN nuts at CERTAIN times of the year, for only a two or three week period.....nuts nuts nuts, all year round, is completely unnatural for a squirrel and will result in poor health and MBD.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

The whey protein rumor....This is really twisting the facts.

Where this rumor probably originates:

Theoretically
    , megadoses of protein can cause kidney damage. That's "excessive amounts of protein" not "recommended amounts of protein," like in rodent block.

Ironically, if you do decide to consume excessive amounts of protein, of all the various sources of protein, whey protein is the least likely to have this effect because it is the highest quality form of protein there is; there are no waste products that must be metabolized by the body.

Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Off topic, but I'll bet you anything that Pet Ag took out the whey protein because of COST, not health-related reasons.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

squirrelington Guest

hello again everyone: just wanted to say that its day 4 now since i discovered my little boy in distress,and started emergency mbd treatment. He is doing alot better now thanks to the good advise given to me by my rehabber freinds and the good folks here at the squirrel board. I do still have some questions however,for example i am still not sure how much calcium is too much or when to start backing off. The whole how much for how long thing is a little uncertain to me.Since I began treatment he has been getting approximately 400 to 700 gms. per day of calcium plus what is added to his water which i believe is a maintnence amount along with a potassium magnesium mixture.This 300 gm. discrepency lies in the fact that when i put the calcium on or in his food he dosent always finish it all. Once again he is doing much better but i must know when to back off and to how much for daily intake any help is appreciated thanx and god bless signed: hopefull in tampa fl.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12