Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symptoms of metabolic bone disease???

gingchamp Guest

Default Symptoms of metabolic bone disease???

Can someone please tell me the symptoms of metabolic bone disease?? My Rosie is very sick and I have no idea what it could be!! She's very lethargic, droopy eyed, and has little interest in eating!! Please help!

Default Re: Symptoms of metabolic bone disease???

I just sent a PM. Hopefully someone will be here soon to help you.

I'm not an expert at MBD but at least I can recommend that you provide something soft and warm to lie on. It's a bit like people with severe arthritis, their bones hurt very badly and the warmth helps to relieve some of the pain at least.

What does her diet consist of usually? How old is Rosie? How long has she been this way?

Do you have any Tums or calcium pills handy?

I'm not sure of the dosage you'd ned but I know that if it's MBD they'll ask you to provide some calcium, so you might as well check to see what you have handy.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Hi GingChamp
    Can you tell me what the diet consist of? How long has she been feeling bad? When did she eat last?
    Do you have some tums antacids, or Calcium powder?
    What kind of a squirrel do you have?

gingchamp Guest

Rosie is about 16 months old. Her diet consists of a variety of nuts (Both store bought and ones I collect in the wild) and plenty of veggies like avocado,yams, green beans, frozen peas,broccoli,and some fruits (she prefers veggies).She also has several types of calcium blocks and a mineral/salt wheel. She started acting lethargic about 3 days ago. Today she really has me worried.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17677

Emergency Treatment for Metabolic Bone Disease (updated 3-31-09)

Get calcium into the squirrel IMMEDIATELY, not later, not tomorrow, NOW. Delaying treatment can cause death or permanent paralysis.

You will need:

--Tums or calcium pills (any kind)
    --a syringe, eyedropper, or spoon

Crush one Tums or calcium pill and add a little water or fruit juice. Use the syringe, eyedropper, or spoon to force-feed the mixture, a little at a time, until it is all gone. Feed a total of 600-800 mg of calcium, and spread it out through the day and night to keep his blood calcium levels as steady as possible.

If the squirrel is having seizures, weakness, or paralysis, the symptoms will usually improve within a few hours, but this does not mean the squirrel is cured. It will take many months to rebuild the calcium in the bones.Long-Term Treatment for MBD

The next step to curing MBD is to fix the diet.

1. Remove ALL seeds, nuts, corn, and treats.

2. Follow the Healthy Diet For Pet Squirrels, which can be found at the top of the “Squirrel Nutrition” forum. (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16093) Your squirrel MUST eat rodent block or squirrel blocks every day. If your squirrel doesn't like rodent blocks, you can try crushing them up with peanut butter or avocado temporarily. You can also make a tastier version of squirrel blocks using the recipe at the top of the Squirrel Nutrition forum.

3. In addition to the Healthy Diet, you will need to continue giving extra calcium every day for several weeks. Either use the syringe/eyedropper or you can try putting the calcium on a small piece of fruit.

Week 1: calcium = 500 mg per day
    Week 2: calcium = 250 mg per day
    Weeks 3-8: calcium = 100 mg per day

The cause of the acute symptoms—weakness, lethargy, seizures, paralysis—is a drop in blood calcium levels. If these symptoms return at any time, you will need to give another emergency dose of calcium.

More Tips
    MBD causes brittle bones that break easily. Try to keep your squirrel away from high places, where he might jump and break a bone. Also, if he is in a tall cage, either place him in a smaller cage, or pad the bottom very well.

Heat is very soothing for a squirrel with MBD. A heating pad turned to low and placed so they cannot chew the pad or cord, or a rice buddy (a sock filled with dry rice/beans and microwaved for about 20 seconds) will work.

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

Quote Originally Posted by gingchamp
    Rosie is about 16 months old. Her diet consists of a variety of nuts (Both store bought and ones I collect in the wild) and plenty of veggies like avocado,yams, green beans, frozen peas,broccoli,and some fruits (she prefers veggies).She also has several types of calcium blocks and a mineral/salt wheel. She started acting lethargic about 3 days ago. Today she really has me worried.

mbd is usually the first thought because it is so easy for the squirrel to get.

in order for them to digest nuts etc... calcium is leached from their bones.... (4skwerlz has a better explanation)

if the squirrel isn't getting enough calcium mixed with the proper combination of phosphorus etc... it is still not getting enough calcium to their bones...

squirrel diets are really, really hard....

if you start the mbd treatment with the calcium tablets... it won't hurt her...

how is her peeing/pooping etc...

what happened the last week... anything sprayed...did she get into any kind of poisons... did she chew something that might have been toxic etc...

where are you ..nearest city etc... if in case we have rehabbers nearby that can help you.....

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

What formula did you raise her on? Is she a handicap Squirrel? Does she eat the calcium? You said 3 days. Did she Throw up? Is she still peeing and poohing? Could any of the nuts have been moldy? Do you peal the avocado? Could she have gotten into something Poisonous? Do you feed any kind os Rodent block, or Squirrel block?

formula like fox valley and full fat danone yogurt is good for calcium too....

but again ... talk to 4skwerlz ..and other experienced rehabbers.... mrs skul too is excellent... she's dyslexic but she's great over the phone... (well she's great anywhere.... )

Silvana..

what kind of rodent block does she get? The kind you find at pet stores for rats and mice? If so, that may not have enough calcium/nutrients in there for her... therefore you may be looking at MBD.

Does she get branches, plants for outside? Anything that could possibly have had toxins on it? Things that come from outside "might" have toxins which could cause a kind of poisoning... which would cause the lethargy and weakness too. You menttioned nuts from outside... I'd be worried about those, sometimes they can be moldy and we can't see that. I would remove those immediately as a precaution.

I'm not an expert on their illnesses, am only throwing out ideas as to the possible causes of her feeling so bad. I hope others can help you better...

Keeping you and sweet Rosie in my prayers, hoping she makes a prompt recovery.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

gingchamp Guest

I think I might know the cause of the MBD!!! My husband has been feeding her nuts continuosly throughout the days recently!! Ive told him to stop because shes no longer wanting her veggies!! I happened to buy a bottle of tums today. Going to give her the tums/water mixture immediatly!!

Take a 2plain tums and dissolve in 1 cc of water. About 1 TBS water. Do you know the milligrams of the tums? Do you have a syringe? You can also make a past and rub on her gums. Do you have and maple syrup or Molasses? You can rub that on the gums and start giving the tums water.

PS Make sure the tums don't have and extra vitamin in it.

gingchamp Guest

Okay that did not go well. she threw a fit and i think more of mix ended up on her rather than in her. could i crush a tums and mix it with peanut butter or something???

GingChamp
    If it is MBD after giving the tums mixture you will notice a real big difference. I am going to go ahead and post a few cites for you. This is something you will need to order/buy for her diet. We try to keep offering Baby Formula to all Captive Squirrels and Flying Squirrels. This is a extra boost to there system if she does not eat her veg every day. I will post the nutrition for you to read later on. This will help keep her diet straight. You need to only give Yams /Sweet potatoes a few times a month. There is a lot of sugar in them. Also 1 piece Fruit a day.

I think I might know the cause of the MBD!!! My husband has been feeding her nuts continuosly throughout the days recently!! Ive told him to stop because shes no longer wanting her veggies!! I happened to buy a bottle of tums today. Going to give her the tums/water mixture immediatly!!

a couple of days probably wouldn't hurt unless she's been borderline for a while...and to be honest ... preventing mbd in squirrels is so hard.. it's almost impossible unless you see them eating their blocks... and not stashing (and stashing will create mold at least in hhbs which are my favourites - no preservatives etc... anyway this is all longterm.)

anyway ... it's very possible mbd but it doesn't mean that we also stop looking at other things....

Silvana..

Okay that did not go well. she threw a fit and i think more of mix ended up on her rather than in her. could i crush a tums and mix it with peanut butter or something???
    mrs skul just posted about molasses or maple syrup.... it's not easy... i know... maybe a paste would be easier so you don't get liquid in her lungs...

edit: yes ... smooth peanut butter mixed with something? oil??? i don't know... you dont want to choke her either .. peanut butter on the roof of her mouth etc... but would the calcium be absorbed....

omg ... i don't know.... maybe not.... not peanut butter... not a nut butter ... but what about applesauce? ... sweet yogurt? ...

Silvana..

Just hand her a tums and see if she will eat it. You can mix it with applesauce, or a sm amount or Peanut butter. But you will have to keep offering her some water. That is going to keep her hydrated and help move the calcium along.

edit again.. listen to mrs skul...not me....... she knows what she's doing...

goodnight... hope to find good news in the morning..will be thinking of you....

Silvana..

gingchamp Guest

I handed her a tums....and she started eating it!! very surprised and relieved!! did i read that i need to still be giving her formula?? esbilac puppy formula was what i had her on as a baby

Gingchamp we have a Bad T storm going on right now. If you notice the Green feet by my name disappear. Please don't worry. I will try calling in some help until I get back on. Did she take the tums when you offered it to her? Did you try the tums past?

No Esbilac right now. Just offer her as much water as she will drink with the Tums. Do you Know the Milligrams of the tums?

PS On the can of Esbilac is there a golden retriever on it? Is there a white puppy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast