Thread: Possible Pox outbreak in St Pete, FL

Hybrid View

JessicaLynn Guest

Default Possible Pox outbreak in St Pete, FL

I don't think I'm jumping the gun here. I recently posted a question about Mange/Pox on Jr, my youngest released. I research for a living (wanted to pursue vet school, but I would've eventually killed a neglectful "owner" or two!), so I try not to make assumptions until I'm pretty sure of something. Jackie in Tampa is now backing me up by giving me all the help and info she can. When I first found the Board I was glad to see that there was somebody so informed and caring in my vicinity, but I could've never guessed that she would be such a determined angel <3

Anyway, I'm noticing MANY more sores on my baby, but that could be because he's wanting so much love while I make him stay inside with me. My oldest, Sir Steve ( long story ) is now a sweet, sickly squirrel as well. He only has a bump on his ear and an itchiness issue, thank goodness, but I've seen three other squirrels today with a bump or two. They are now enjoying echinacea water, and I plan on giving them anything else I can.

I'm doing my best to keep thorough documentation. Today is day one of Operation Pox Buster (yes, we need a better name for it!)
    With all of the wonderful work everyone has done, it deserves to be compiled even further with thorough case studies. Once I can get Jr through his first round of meds (still working on that part, unfortunately) I'll elaborate.

If there's anyone in the area, please feel free to PM me with reports of any presence/absence of symptoms. I'd love to be able to help, even if it's just with documentation.

Default Re: Possible Pox outbreak in St Pete, FL

Wishing you success in your battle against pox. I hate that disease. You have a strong Squirrel Angel fighting at your side. The earlier you start meds, seems like the better the outcome.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

It was nice to see you again...wish the visit didn't include pox...
    every year at this time...it rears it's ugly head.
    The mosquitoes aren't as bad tonight as last night..errrrr!!

Sounds like both your boys are healthy and that does make a difference imo. It would seem so, as their immune system is compromised.
    It was good to see you again!
    Most people really irritate Rocky, he was so sweet and calm! He didn't even growl! must be the blonde hair!!
    get the nutella out!!!! and get those boys well asap!

JessicaLynn Guest

Thanks you two! Jackie, I really did have a wonderful time! Although it was because of the same unfortunate disease, this visit was definitely a lot happier. I have hope for my boys. Jake, a third one I told you about, came by to say hi this evening. He looked good.

Jr didn't want Nutella tonight. I had to jump into my neighbor's yard to finally talk him into coming down and refrain from scratching for a bit. He was a little cranky, and I had no choice but to use a syringe for the first doses. After he wiped his mouth off ALL over me and drank some e-water, he seemed happy to hang out on my shoulder and eat a couple of nuts. Hopefully he'll be hungry enough in the morning to try a different approach. I'd like to think that the meds are at least helping a bit tonight, and he'll start feeling a bit better soon.

Today has really worn me out, but I plan on keeping close track of progression of illness (or lack thereof!) and the meds. I want to see if I can get any of my friends at school to help, as well. I'll try to convince them that this has relevance in some of their studies, which I wholeheartedly believe!

Thanks again, and goodnight!!!

lilidukes Guest

JessicaLynn I recently sent jit a link to a site for an immune booster. I have had great luck with it. It is prescription. Check out http://www.healx.co.uk/booster.html I have Sunshine Factor and Booster and use them both daily.

Much luck in your fight against the worst enemy ever to squirrels

JessicaLynn Guest

Thank you, lili!

I'll definitely check it out; anything that might help is so very much appreciated. I know the lengths you will go for your babies, I'm always so happy to hear that there are others out there with such big hearts. I know that I'm in for a struggle, especially after last night's fiasco with Jr (although he may have just been playing me- he knows how to wrap me around those adorable little toes...). I may usually be a spectator here, but I've learned everything from you all. I'd love to be able to contribute, so I hope both the outcome and the research proves positive and useful!

pattil Guest

Unhappy Re: Possible Pox outbreak in St Pete, FL

I live in NE St. Petersburg and saw a wild squirrel in my front year yesterday with what I think was a severe case of POX (after some researching on the internet). He had pox marks all over his entire body and one eye looked like it was blind. Other than that he acted like a normal squirrel, running on the ground and up into the trees. I hope this will be an isolated case and the rest of our squirrels will not catch this virus. I had never seen this before, has anyone else started to see this in NE area of St. Petersburg?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.