Thread: Help baby squirrel weak, hardly moving

Default Help baby squirrel weak, hardly moving

Hi i have 2 baby squirrels about 3 weeks old. i just switched over to fox valley food yesterday and today one of my babies is weak, hardly moving and has a very small appetite. I;m concerned i'm thinking MBD or dehydration. This is my first time dealing with baby squirrels. Any feedback on what to do would help. Thank you

Default Re: Help baby squirrel weak, hardly moving

Quote Originally Posted by Lilsammii13
    Hi i have 2 baby squirrels about 3 weeks old. i just switched over to fox valley food yesterday and today one of my babies is weak, hardly moving and has a very small appetite. I;m concerned i'm thinking MBD or dehydration. This is my first time dealing with baby squirrels. Any feedback on what to do would help. Thank you

Can you post any photos, that would help a lot. How much are you feeding them, do you have them on low heat? Do you know what they weigh, how did they come to you? Were they cat caught? How long have you had them? We have great people around your area, so we'll get you help.
    Sorry for so many questions, this will help us determine the problem. This is not MBD for sure.
    Cound they have aspirated? Did milk ever come out of their nose? What kind of formula were you using, what size syringe?

lilidukes Guest

Hi, do the pinch test on his neck if the skin doesn't go right down he is dehydrated.

Baby can't absorb formula if not hydrated.

Keep them on heat!!!

i have photos on my phone if you give me an email i can send you a photo. i am feeding them about 2-3 ccs. yes i am keeping them on heat, i am not sure how much they weigh. they were brought to me from a friend cause they found them. they were not cat caught. i had them for 6 days. i am bringing them to a rehabilitater on monday. he aspirated a while ago when i was first feeding it. i was using esbiliac now i switched to fox valley 32/40. the baby was fine until i switched. yes he is heated. 1 ml syringe very small.

i have photos on my phone if you give me an email i can send you a photo. i am feeding them about 2-3 ccs. yes i am keeping them on heat, i am not sure how much they weigh. they were brought to me from a friend cause they found them. they were not cat caught. i had them for 6 days. i am bringing them to a rehabilitater on monday. he aspirated a while ago when i was first feeding it. i was using esbiliac now i switched to fox valley 32/40. the baby was fine until i switched. yes he is heated. 1 ml syringe very small.
    nmognoni@nycap.rr.com you can send the pictures to me and I will post.
    How often are you feeding? It should be 5-7% of their body weight per feeding. Are you stimulating them? Just wondering why the one is not acting right now? Do they appear bloated?
    The one that did aspirate, do you hear any clicking when he breathes?
    When you switch formulas you should do 1/2 of what you were feeding them and 1/2 of the new formula mixed together. Do that for about 1 whole day and then go to the straight FV.

When you switched the formula did you do it gradually?
    A sudden change in formula could cause digestive upset.
    "I always thought someone should do something about that, then I realized I was someone” ~ Lily Tomlin

"The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

he seems like he is getting better and moving more . do you think it coulda been cause he was cold as i was feeding him. he bowel movement is fine and pee. havent had a problem till just now. i didnt do it gradually i just switched.

he seems like he is getting better and moving more . do you think it coulda been cause he was cold as i was feeding him. he bowel movement is fine and pee. havent had a problem till just now. i didnt do it gradually i just switched.
    When you feed, keep him as warm as possible. I keep a little blanket wrapped around them and lay them flat on the table on their tummy on another blanket...OR hold them upright in your hand in a blanket.
    Make sure the formula is really warm too. Not sure why he would have been acting sluggish. Glad that the pee and poops look fine, just make sure that he keeps going.

hi Samantha, it's Maura
    the cold could have been the problem. We should be careful never to let baby squirrels get cold, and never to feed them until they are warmed up. Their bodies can't process the food properly until they are warmed. Stick with us here -- you've done great so far and we'll help you through to the next step.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Here you go, they are just too adorable!

Sorry they are so small this is the way they loaded.
    Is that carefresh bedding that they are on? Perhaps you should to put some fleece, or flannel in there, so that they are not right on the bedding. Just thought that was what it looked like...not sure if that is good for them to inhale as it is quite dusty....

I agree about the fleece -- but Samantha, they look GREAT! Nice chubby 3-wk olds.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '