Thread: Coordination issues and bloody nose?

Default Coordination issues and bloody nose?

Hi all,

I used to be on here until my brain-damaged girl died about three years ago. But.. someone found out that I used to deal with squirrels and called me on the afternoon of the 15th saying "there's an injured baby squirrel in front of my apartment."

He's a young fox squirrel (they were introduced into this town, strangely) - old enough to be on his own and everything but he was apparently running, rather uncoordinated-ly, around a parking lot, trying to hide under cars (but he wasn't very good at hiding). He made a valiant effort to get away from me but I eventually got him in a shirt and in a box. Upon inspection, his nose was bleeding, but that stopped within a few hours.

Since then, he's been very inactive, and he won't take solid foods or drink out of a dish so I've smashed lots of good foods and liquefied them and have been feeding him through a syringe, which he is getting better at taking. Mostly he will sit in his box tilted to one side a bit like this:

Mostly the problem seems to be he can't coordinate all his limbs at the same time. He's not good at holding his head up, but he can. He also has trouble moving his front legs and most of the time they are clutched under his chin or dragging underneath him, but he can also definitely move them because last night he had a bout of energy and walked, quite normally, around the room. Also when I hold him up to feed, he won't plant both back feet on the ground, one always turns inwards and I have to hold onto that foot too.. but then again he is fully capable of moving them normally when he wants to! So I don't know what's going on, and if he's in real danger or just needs time and rest and nutrients to figure it out? Any help would be greatly appreciated because he's got me stumped!

mugzeezma Guest

Default Re: Coordination issues and bloody nose?

If you found him in a parking lot chances are he was hit by a car?

This sounds like head trauma to me and there is little you can do except keep him hydrated and warm.
    I would be syringing Pedialyte into him.
    Do a pinch test between his shoulders if it tents up and stays he is in serious need of fluids.
    Be careful not to aspirate.
    You may want to get some Ensure Plus vanilla or pecan flavor and syringe that into him.
    Keep him in a cage with a heating pad on low or a rice buddy.
    you can try VetriDMG i think its called... there is another homeopathic remedy with arnica in it that you can try as well ...It's in another thread...I'll check to see where it is.

mugzeezma Guest

http://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/index.html

Try the Pet Heal and or EaseSure....another member is using these on her neuro squirrel.
    Also check out Ewildagain

http://www.ewildagain.org/Homeopathy/homeopathy.htm

You may want to contact Shirley Casey about how much Arnica to use

At first my pre-vet-student friends were recommending anti-inflammatories if his brain was swelling and causing the issues but then they said if he has survived this long there's not much point giving those to him anymore. They did give me antibiotics just in case (oxytetracycline) but I have not given him any yet. What exactly are your suggestions targeting?

He's not dehydrated, that's one of the first things I checked, and he will let me put lots of water into him.

mugzeezma Guest

Steroidal anti inflammatory meds are typically only recommended 24 hrs post trauma.
    The links I sent are supplements for neurological issues neuro issues
    The homeopathic remedies Arnica in particular were recommended in a conversation I had with Shirley Casey of Ewildagain. She has case studies and has had good results with it. According to her some recovered enough to be released. There is no sure fix that I know of. Only time will tell how bad off he is.

I see. Ok I see that EaseSure is for neuro issues. I'm having trouble finding arnica on that site, but I can buy it elsewhere - what sort of dosage are we talking?

And.. I had a neurological-issues squirrel for 4 years. I loved her more than anything but I really do not want to go through it again. But you don't think I have much of a choice? (I was told since he was invasive and going to be a problem to fix, he'd be euthanized by the nearest rehab center.)

Random but I'm buying EaseSure from that site and it gave me a coupon code for a future order so I figured I'd share: paonnr. Just in case someone wants to use it. Hope that's not against the rules or anything.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Novelle
    Random but I'm buying EaseSure from that site and it gave me a coupon code for a future order so I figured I'd share: paonnr. Just in case someone wants to use it. Hope that's not against the rules or anything.
    THe PetHeal is has the arnica in it...you can get Arnica at Whole Foods too.

Off the top of my head I would say use 1 drop/day but I have to go back and check
    Yes I think that Ca does euthanize invasive specifies at Wildlife centers...I know ours does and with the head tilt? This guy won't get much more that the box
    Contact Shirley Casey at Ewild for proper use of Arinca and dosing.
    With all homeopathy
    DO NOT TOUCH with your fingers.

You could contact BHO - she is a member here with experience in homeopathic meds for squirrels with neuro issues. She's been helping me a lot.

Click on the Members List (top menu bar), find BHO and send her a private message.
    She can guide you which homeos for what and in what dosage.

Great, thanks for your help! I will do that.

I didn't know about not touching it!

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Novelle
    Great, thanks for your help! I will do that.

I didn't know about not touching it!
    Apparently exposure to your skin will effect the potency.

Hi everyone,

Barclay is still pretty wonky but today he impressed me by finally showing near-complete control over his head! I took a video of him reaching towards my hand and watching me - I will try to attach it but no promises because me and computers don't usually get along. http://tinypic.com/r/2vsrx3c/7

Also, he bit me! It was more of a nibble but it was very intentional, and it made me happy. I hope this means he is on his way towards eating solid foods.

Tickle's Mom Guest

Looking good - he is soooooo cute

First of all, Thank you so much for caring for this little guy. He sure is cute. I just wanted to add on here that if he was found in a parking lot he might have drank water from a puddle that was contaminated with car fluids or stepped in car fluids and then cleaned his feet. Toxins can cause neuro issues. Was there any sign of head injuries besides the bloody nose?

I have had lots of neuro squirrels. I find that once you get them renourished they will show some improvement. I have not had any that made a full recovery to where they were completely normal. These cases are usually nonreleasables and need a forever home.

Good luck with him and keep us updated. You're awesome! Keep up the good work!

What a sweetie. I will keep my fingers crossed for a great recovery.

Prayers for Barclay!!
    Great save!!
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola