Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walter the Squirrel with Pox

Default Re: Walter the Squirrel with Pox

NM, just curious: any reason why Walter wasn't treated with acyclovir? I had good luck with it treating Shanti, but his case was not a bad one....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Hi Best Life,

The pictures were taken on the 3rd of April and posted on the 4th of April.

Yes, Walter’s treatment is still the same - have not changed a thing.

Yeah, I heard the same thing about Convenia and was concerned to use it for that reason, but the vet and Karen Clark assured me that it was the recommended plan and they had seen positive results with little contact with the infected animal - which helped to decrease the stress, which in turn would hopefully keep the pox from getting worse. Stress is a big issue with pox, apparently.

Jackie has a list of topical information which works really well - I just opted to not handle Walter unless absolutely necessary - and so far his wounds have not needed any intervention from me - they scab up and heal over fine J

I don’t mind the questions at all - I’m amazed by his recovery too - of course one of two things could be at play here. I caught it early. Walter has a really strong immune system. Or, a combination to the two. Or, because he’s not had to deal with the outdoor elements, being in the A/C, getting good foods loaded with immune boosters, etc.. Or the treatment plan works. Who really knows for sure why - I’m just glad he’s doing good.

I have not ordered the Immune Booster yet to be honest with you, because Walter has been recovering so well on the treatment plan I have him on I figured why change it - if I see him get worse, then most definitely I will be ordering it. But for now, the echinchea tea seems to be doing the trick.

(My dear, you are quickly becoming wise beyond your years , whatever that may be.) - oh if you only knew - hee hee.

(We are all very fortunate that you are sharing all of this info you have been seeking out and collecting from various terrific resources!) I’m happy to be sharing Walter’s experience with everyone. I think we all learn from one another and it’s good - it helps to save a lot of fuzz butts.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    NM, just curious: any reason why Walter wasn't treated with acyclovir? I had good luck with it treating Shanti, but his case was not a bad one....
    Hi IR,

I discussed the Acyclovir with the vet and she was hesitant to put Walter on it - I think because there were some bad results with cats or something. I don't really remember what she told me. She did give me some of the medicine though just in case. I have not used it to date.

Just checking on little Walter. . .how's he coming along?

Thumbs up Re: Walter the Squirrel with Pox

Wow! You have done an amazing job dealing with the pox, Walter is looking really good!

Hi All,

Walter and I are back to give an update on the Pox Issue by request. I've heard there have been a few Pox cases with not so good outcomes I hope our journey may be able to help those in the future.

To date Walter has been Pox Free!!!!!! We did have a little scare a few months after treatment was completed - a tiny sore did appear near the eye, but it went away within a few days. I resumed the prior treatment of tea, super quiet time and plenty of high antioxident foods and Pecan Ensure.... minus the convenia shots and all went well. Walter would say it was the walnuts (for treats) I gave him that did the trick....hee hee.

I am sooooooooooooooo Thankful to Karen Clark She rocks!!!!! I believe her treatment plan to be the best for treating Squirrel Pox. The proof is how well Walter turned out Now I'm not saying it is full proof...but I think her treatment plan works best to treat presenting symptoms because there is little stress involved in the care and handling of the ill squirrel and I believe stress is a huge factor in Pox..kind of how stress is a factor in making shingles and other type viruses worse in humans.

Squirrel Pox is going to run its course...all we are doing is trying to make the journey a little bit easier and hope it doesn't get worse, but we can't cure it - it is a virus. Least that is what I read. There is so little information on the web about Squirrel Pox...nobody really knows for sure if it is the treatment that helps a squirrel survive, the squirrels natural immunity or a combo of both - if the squirrel carries it for life, etc.... Hard to say. I am just super thankful for Karen's smarts and Walter's survival He's such a qt pie.

Walter and I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving and we'll talk to you soon. Here is a pic below of Walter today...Mommy had just made his new hammock and Walter scrunched it back in the corner, along with his new Christmas Stuffed Animal Gingerbreadman Mommy found for him at Petsmart (not pictured).....minus the squeaky toy inside, of course

Toodles....NutMegs Mommy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegsMommy
    Hi All,

Walter and I are back to give an update on the Pox Issue by request. I've heard there have been a few Pox cases with not so good outcomes I hope our journey may be able to help those in the future.

To date Walter has been Pox Free!!!!!! We did have a little scare a few months after treatment was completed - a tiny sore did appear near the eye, but it went away within a few days. I resumed the prior treatment of tea, super quiet time and plenty of high antioxident foods and Pecan Ensure.... minus the convenia shots and all went well. Walter would say it was the walnuts (for treats) I gave him that did the trick....hee hee.

I am sooooooooooooooo Thankful to Karen Clark She rocks!!!!! I believe her treatment plan to be the best for treating Squirrel Pox. The proof is how well Walter turned out Now I'm not saying it is full proof...but I think her treatment plan works best to treat presenting symptoms because there is little stress involved in the care and handling of the ill squirrel and I believe stress is a huge factor in Pox..kind of how stress is a factor in making shingles and other type viruses worse in humans.

Squirrel Pox is going to run its course...all we are doing is trying to make the journey a little bit easier and hope it doesn't get worse, but we can't cure it - it is a virus. Least that is what I read. There is so little information on the web about Squirrel Pox...nobody really knows for sure if it is the treatment that helps a squirrel survive, the squirrels natural immunity or a combo of both - if the squirrel carries it for life, etc.... Hard to say. I am just super thankful for Karen's smarts and Walter's survival He's such a qt pie.

Walter and I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving and we'll talk to you soon. Here is a pic below of Walter today...Mommy had just made his new hammock and Walter scrunched it back in the corner, along with his new Christmas Stuffed Animal Gingerbreadman Mommy found for him at Petsmart (not pictured).....minus the squeaky toy inside, of course

Toodles....NutMegs Mommy
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

mpetys Guest

Good to see you back NutmegsMommy. I have to give a shout out to NM. I don't know if she ever told the story of how she got Walter or if I ever did. I was supposed to get Walter but I had family coming down for a week to visit and while I had a houseful of squirrels, I just didn't feel like dealing with a new one until they had left. NM offered to keep Walter for a week until my company left. What a wonderful offer. But, during that week, it was discovered that he had pox, so she ended up caring for him. I felt so bad that she was doing me a favor and ended up with a sick squirrel! But so grateful that she has given him such wonderful care and brought him through this.

Thank you NutmegsMommy for being a lifesaver to both me and Walter!!!

Not only are all the little squirrels here amazing, its the people too.
    You all are incredible, wonderful, sensitive, caring souls and I might add very helpful to those of us who are just starting out.
    Thank you , never knew about pox.

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegsMommy
    Hi All,

Walter and I are back to give an update on the Pox Issue by request.
    To date Walter has been Pox Free!!!!!!

Toodles....NutMegs Mommy
    Great News...Great Lookin' Dude...
    Thanks Sooooo Much for Caring Sooooo Much
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What a doll and what a GREAT STORY!!!! You and Walter are quite the inspiration!!!
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12