Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walter the Squirrel with Pox

Default Walter the Squirrel with Pox

Hey All,

Meet Walter - he's a 4-6 month old squirrel who I got from the vet who is the lone survivor of a family slaughter thanks to a dog. 3 days into my care and Walter broke out in a lesion under his eye and guess what....SQUIRREL POX. I've been working with a rehabber who has dealt with pox before and so far the care Walter has been receiving appears to be working as Walter's sores are scabbing over...but we are not out of the woods just yet. I wanted to post the pics so we can all learn about pox and from pox. Here's Walter....
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Default Re: Walter with Squirrel with Pox

Awww poor little baby..... I will be reading along to see how he does and to educate my self.
    Thanks for sharing.

I'm saying a prayer for Walter - and thank you for sharing - this is something we should all learn. I will be following too.
    Nancy
    Illinois Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

take a peek at my website for fun happenings and cute critters!

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/index.html

Thank you to all that made the Rehab Cottage dream come true

mugzeezma Guest

As you may already know Pox is spread by ectoparasites.
    I often wonder if a dose of revolution will kill off ecto and endo parasites.
    If nothing else it will remove any parasites that are taxing his immune system.
    Good nutrition and a low stress environment are VERY important as there is no absolute cure.
    Looking forward to updates.

Oh, NutmegsMommy...

... just no words for all you have taken in and taken on in the past several months. Bless you for having such a kind heart, and for sharing your experiences with the rest of us on TSB even at the most difficult times. I appreciate seeing the pictures of Walter; I had never seen squirrel pox before and would have had no clue what it looked like. I'll be following Walter's progress, taking notes, and praying for you both.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Best Life
    Oh, NutmegsMommy...

... just no words for all you have taken in and taken on in the past several months. Bless you for having such a kind heart, and for sharing your experiences with the rest of us on TSB even at the most difficult times. I appreciate seeing the pictures of Walter; I had never seen squirrel pox before and would have had no clue what it looked like. I'll be following Walter's progress, taking notes, and praying for you both.
    Well said Best Life

You are just the best! You certainly have gotten your share of squirrels with issue, bless your heart. I'm praying sweet little Walter makes as full of a recovery as is possible with that nasty disease. Thank you for all you're doing for him and all the other sweet babies in your care

Wow, you are so right - on for sharing this knowledge and pics too, I had no idea they could get pox. " I love you Walter and I am so sorry about your sores, kisses. " Thanks again NutmegsMommy.
    Teresa
    The Lady On Bay County Florida, Animal Rescue Center, Volunteer

http://adoptbay.com

lilidukes Guest

NM when you get a few extra minutes from your busy family could you fill us in on the line of treatment you are using. what meds etc.

Sending healing thoughts for Walter and for you.

Walter's Treatment:

This was a hard choice to make as there were several routes I could go. Because it presented so early - and knowing that stress can make it worse - I consulted with Karen Clark, since she is familiar with the vet I got Walter from, and we opted to do the following treatment plan which would cause Walter as little stress as possible:

2 treatments of revolution to kill off any vectors as I have other squirrels in care right now and we needed to reduce the risk as much as possible.

Convenia - Walter gets a Convenia shot every 10 days as long as sores are presenting to prevent any secondary infections - this works good as there is minimal handling during the shot's administration because Walter gets sedated. He goes out like a baby and wakes up as if nothing happened - he can’t wait to get home and get a treat - he’s funny.

Walter is in a quiet room and the only contact I have with him is tending to his food and liquid needs and changing his blankies - we have a system down and he's fine with it - doesn't charge me or anything - he‘s very shy and spends about 99.9% of his time hiding under his blankie - he comes out to eat, drink and pee and poo on the opposite side of the cage - he‘s such a good little boy. Now I will admit that sometimes at night before bedtime, Walter does get some scritches - but it is through the fleece - never direct contact - and he never goes on top of the fleece - it’s the hammock part he hides under all of the time. And I wear gloves J

Walter drinks Echinacea tea while we await this immune booster formula to arrive - here is the link to the immune barrier. It is the california academy of health http://www.caoh.org/liqimbarecbe.html It has Echinacea in it.

Walter also loves Ensure Pecan Flavor - blueberries, grapes, kale, apple, sugar snap peas, and other high oxidant fruits and veggies - I’m trying to build up his immune system as much as possible - that’s key.

I think that about sums it up for Wally-World’s treatment - that’s his nickname. Hope this helps. I'll continue to post updates and pictures.

Thanks for the update.....
    I am watching this thread closely so I may learn in case I ever have to deal with pox in the future (knock on wood).

You and Walter are in My Prayers & Thoughts... Good Healing Vibes

Oh his poor little squirrely boy bits! Bless you for helping this poor boy
    A 100% Survival Rate is Impossible, but Making Sure 100% of Our Little Babies are Loved is Guaranteed

"...I Love Not Man The Less, But Nature More." - Robert Frost

"When Life Leaves Us Blind... LOVE keeps us kind" -Linkin Park

mugzeezma Guest

Sounds like a solid treatment plan

Pick up some Parvolan or Parvosol to disinfect
    That's the stuff sprayed the pox cages with at WWC
    ...actually any ICU cage when changing out animals.

I'll be looking forward to Walters progress. Having had babies with pox and loosing a released yard buddy I shudder and wouldn't wish it upon a single squirrel or person.

I'm praying for little Walter, looking forward to his recovery. He looks and sounds like such a sweet boy, I'm happy he found an angel to care for him a
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

lilidukes Guest

Thanks for the info. I have never had to deal with pox and anything I can learn before I do is an advantage.

Nutmegsmommy you rock

I have good news to report. Walter's left eye pox appears to be shrinking a lot in the past few days and it's looking really good I also noticed that the sore on his back foot is scabbing over and not growing any larger. Walter is due to go back to the vet next week for his next Convenia shot, so I will get more pics then while he's sedated since Walter hates to have his pic taken. Shame too - cuz he sure is one handsome little guy

Default Re: Walter the Squirrel with Pox

WE have pictures of Walter unsedated - YEAH!!!!! It was tricky, but I got em'. You will note that the lesion on his left eye is almost gone. YEAH!!!!!!! He's quite a handsome little guy - and soooooooooooooooo shy Enjoy the pics - the first picture, it looks like he's smiling And in the second pic, that is what he does - he hides under his blankie and will only come all the way out after I baby talk to him for a minute - nah, he doesnt' have my heart hee hee.

**He's still got a lesion on his foot, but I took a peek at it yesterday and it looks like it is on the mend too so Walter may just be a survivor afterall - GO WALLY-WORLD!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Oh, he's ADORABLE!! You're the best, NMM!!

Wow! He looks terrific! Curious - what is the span of days between the first pictures you posted of him w/lesions on 04/04, and the picturs posted today?
    Is his treatment still the same as listed on that date? I know convenia had been discussed before, as far as it metabolizing very quickly in squirrels... so the every 10 days regimen is obviously working? Are any topicals recommended for the lesions?

I know, lots of questions, but I'm really just amazed at the progress!

Did you receive the 'Liquid Immune Barrier' yet, and how is it given? (and more importantly, received)

My dear, you are quickly becoming wise beyond your years , whatever that may be. We are all very fortunate that you are sharing all of this info you have been seeking out and collecting from various terrific resources! I suppose the #1 and most important part of Walter's treatment goes without saying... completely unconditional TLC Thank You!!
    Linda

Oh geez... just had to scroll up and look at that adorable, happy face again! What a treat he is!
    Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast