Thread: Bare spot on thigh

lisak37 Guest

Default Bare spot on thigh

This is my first post. Looking for some good advice. Last April, we rescued a baby squirrel when her tree and nest came down in our yard. She has always been very healthy and happy. However, I have a question. Recently, she has developed a circular spot on the inside of her thigh that is bare (losing the hair). I suspect that it itches and she nips at it. She has no other such spots and is perfectly healthy otherwise. I purchased some "YUK 2e" to try to discourage her from mouthing the area. It didn't seem to help. I suspect it may have spurred her to 'clean' the area more. I was wondering if it would be OK to try hydrocortisone to prevent what I think may be a recurring itch. Glad to hear any other suggestions, also.

Default Re: Bare spot on thigh

Hi lisak37
    Can you POST some Pictures? It could be a lot of things. If it is itching her. I would Buy Some Revolution and Dose her with it. Between the shoulders. Please don't use the stuff you buy from Wal-Mart. It needs to be REVOLUTION!!!
    You get this from a Vet for Dogs, or Cats. Get the one 5 to 10 lb. I would at least put 1/2 the Tub on her. It will not hurt to use the whole thing.
    If you have pets then use the rest on them. It might be Ring Worm, Mange Mites. This will cause her to itch and bite at it. Waiting g for some pictures.
    Good luck Christal

lisak37 Guest

I don't know if you can tell much from this picture. It took a lot of work to get it this good. Looking at the picture, there appears to be hair growing in the center of the bald spot, but there is not. It is bare.

Name:  pic.png
Views: 86
Size:  224.5 KB
    Last edited by lisak37; 11-23-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: attach picture

Well, something caused an irritation.
    I'm kind of suspecting an insect bite of some sort.
    If you see hair growth beginning again, there may not be cause for concern.
    I know you're probably watching it like a hawk, so I won't mention you do so.

Hi Lisak
    Is She still scratching and Bitting at it?
    Is she Scratching and Itching all over her body?
    Did you call your Vet and get some Revolution?
    I would not put anymore of the YUK 2e on her. No Hydro-cortisone, I do Not think is safe to be Ingested. "She will like it off." You can give Children's Benadrill for allergies. See if that will help. If it is Mange Mites, Using The Revolution, You would see improvement in 24 to 48 hr.
    It does not look round enough to be a RingWorm. Could she had scraped or pinched it in between something. While ripping out the Furr.
    What kind of Cage is she in? Can you post what her diet consist of? What Formula did you feed her?
    PS
    You can take a cotton Ball with a little Alcohol, and Rub it over the spot.
    See what that does. "It might sting a little so blow on it for a few seconds."

Umm, no dear, I don't think alcohol would be a good idea.

Looks like ringworm to me too. Or an insect bite.
    "If God Brings You To It, He Will Bring You Thru It!!"

Without compassion, nothing else really matters

lisak37 Guest

I will try to get some Revolution and see if that will take care of it. Thanks for the advice!