Thread: Bot Fly Facts

Hybrid View

Default Bot Fly Facts

Botfly Larvae/cuterebra or Warble

A bot fly larva is the developing form of an insect. It is the stage after it hatches from the egg and before it becomes an adult fly. The lump in the animal's skin caused by the growing bot is called a warble, and the opening in the animal's skin is referred to as the warble pore. There may be just one larva or there may be more in different parts of the host animal's body...the larva feeds upon the animal's tissue exudate. In the early stages of development the larvae may be light colored and generally darken as they mature. The area can devleop an abcess from the chronic irritation. The Bot fly warble is often misdiagnosed as a simple abcess....

Treatment:

If the bot fly larva is not in an area that restricts movement or other functions, it can be left intact and will drop off at maturity. The sight on your animal is gruesome, but in many cases they only cause mild irritation for the animal. Once the warble drops out, clean the wound with an antiseptic and apply topical ointment if needed. On very small mammals such as mice, the warble can be life threatening -- it may need to be surgically removed.

If the bot fly is killed while it is living under the skin of the mammal, it can release a toxin whcih can cause anaphylactic shock (this is one reason why we don't try to kill it while it is still there). Oral antibiotic treatment may be indicated if a secondary infection develops in the warble.

A mature bot fly larva is large enough to be carefully removed using tweezers or forceps. Sometimes slow, steady pressure AT THE BASE of the warble can push the larva out thru the opening. Be sure not to kill the larva in the process. The warble pore can then be flushed with chlorhexiderm@ or saline solution and a topical antibiotic applied if needed.

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: Bot Fly Facts

I think I found this photo on line recently.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

here are a few disturbing photos of botflies that I found online. The one with the empty looking holes has already had his botflies leave. the last one is the larvae itself. If you have a week stomach don't scroll down because these are pretty sad looking. Poor little guys. From what I know these are not very leathal. they look worse than they really are.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

webld4u2 Guest

Sam had these last year...and yep, it is gross. I was able to get them out by using a syringe with peroxide in it. I pushed it in the hole and they came out to breathe, and when they did, I pushed it like you would a pimple, and they come flying out. It is safe and it works, and it is easy.

thumper Guest

I have removed many as well (lucky the 3 legged coyote and a cat) using a syringe (no needle) w/full strength peroxide... squirting some in then blocking it off with my thumb for a few seconds. (came out a little) then tapping the lil bastards head making it retreat deep back in and then squirting again... and out he came.... this works for a fact as I have done it on 2 animals to remove 10-12 of the lil buggers.....this do it yourself method was explained to me by my moms vet to save me money......(my mom's poodle enterprise kept him in buisness) thumper NOTE: the cat did not like it at all (big larva / small hole)

thumper Guest

08-21-2006, 01:01 PM
    thumper
    Senior Member Join Date: Apr 2006

Re: maggots

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dealt with infestation on my three legged coyote (lucky). I was told by a vet,who would not work on a WILD animal to use a seringe (SPELLING ?)and peroxide. no needle. I squrted a lil into the hole and the lil bugger went in deeper then I squrted more in and held my finger over the hole for a few seconds.he then came out, all the way out,I was shocked at how big he was.I repeated this on all the holes and got them all.then I applied some neosporin or somthing like it and he eventually healed-minus the foot. If you all rehabbers see a problem with this method on a squirrel PLEASE CHIME IN. it worked on my coyote and a cat who lost his tail.good luck!!!!! thumper

Treatment we were told to use was spread Vaseline over the warble and this will suffocate it and when it comes up for air pull it out with tweezers. Never been able to try it so I don't know if it will work. All of our wilds get them and some are very bad, I feel terrible for them but they won't sit still so I can help them.

steelydan Guest

We have raised and released squirrels successfully for several years. What do you think of adding one or two drops of Ivermectin to the squirrel's outdoor water monthly for bot prevention?

Caring in Alabama,
    Steelydan

I don't think ivermectin will prevent bot fly infestation. It may prevent mange mites from taking over, but correct dosage of ivermectin is essential and that is a difficult thing to do correctly with wild squirrels.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Doe squirrels get these from a mosquito bite or flies? Just asking because it is hor & rainy lately and I cahses a fly ( big ) one out of the house, is it froma fly landing on a squirrel or being bitten??
    <3 my "punkin"<3

From what I've read online, these are laid directly by adult botflies or can hatch from existing eggs and the maggot can find its way to a host by sensing their body-heat.

They can be transmitted by mosquitos and it was mentioned that a botfly will use a common housefly as a temporary host to lay its eggs, then when the eggs hatch the maggots will go on to find a host.

Something fun to watch on the subject >.< http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=940_1205955519
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

Former Assistant Director of The Care Foundation in Apopka, Florida
    http://www.theCAREfoundation.org

Surgical Veterinary Technician - VCA Animal Hospital, Spfld. MA

~Freya~

omg, watching that video gave me goose bumps!!!! yuck!

Default Re: warble!!!!!

Ugggg gross! Today I was visiting with my released girl. I noticed right away that she had a scab on her back, with a large swelling. Bot fly magot!!!!!!I had put some antibiotic ointment on it, and it came up for air. I clearly saw it.
    How discusting! Anyway, it is on her back above her shoulderblade. The magot is young, as I was playing with her just 30 hours ago, and it was clearly not there in any way. So I think I should not mess with it at this point? I so much want to get it out of there, but how do you do it on a squirrel that is such a wiggly girl. She is very tame. tame enough that I have removed some ticks, but the warble seems sore.
    I am in a state where I can not bring her to a vet, to give her some sleepy gas for a few minutes, so I would have to do this with her occupied with food. I would be afraid she would move and I would kill the worm. How many days til this thing matures and goes away on its own????
    How yucky!