Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: Lethargic squirrel

Question Help: Lethargic squirrel

I have a 9 week oak grey squirrel I have been rehabing since he was 2 weeks old. (And I have rehabbed other squirrels previously for release- but this particular issue I have not previously encountered). He's on puppy Esbilac (and has been doing quite well with a normal growth rate curve). He's now also has rodent block (which he seems to not really like) and a variety of fresh veggies (from the approved list). Last night he refused the milk for the first time yet was still very active. However is acting very lethargic today. Just not his active self. He did drink ~10 ml of the milk this morning. He is also drinking water out of his bottle and urinating. There's less stool than normal. He's also being very cuddley and just wants to be held (which is NOT normal for him).

Any ideas what might be wrong? MBD maybe? Constipation?

Thanks,
    Oneocean

Default Re: Help: Lethargic squirrel

keep him warm ... on a heating pad or in your shirt....

hydrated....

where in florida are you ?

i'll give you the number of one of our members

what is your email address? i'll need your phone number too (can be emailed).

at this moment you can't receive private messages.

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

OK it is not a stool issue. I've not had to deal with MBD with any of my other squirrels. What are the symptoms?

He's alert, just not very active.

Sorry- I'm new to this forum. I'm outside of Tampa

Is it possible he fell or hurt himself?
    It's best if you connect with an experienced rehabber
    and go over all the details of his diet and environment
    to see if a cause can be identified.

For now yes, keep him warm and comfortable.
    "I always thought someone should do something about that, then I realized I was someone” ~ Lily Tomlin

"The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

we have jackie a very experienced squirrel person in tampa .... i need to give you her phone number ....

do you want to email me??? silvana2065@hotmail.com

i can't give it to you on a public board.

at this point many things might be wrong... for one esbilac is no longer made for squirrels and is no longer recommended ...

he does need hydration and warmth but this is an emergency.

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

He's warm.

There's no way he could have hurt himself in the cage he is in now. We were just about to move him into the larger cage this weekend when he started actng this way.

Can anyone tell me the symptoms of MBD? I have been able to get some Ca into him diluted in H20.

Thanks
    D

OK, no MBD while on formula and rodent block - plenty of calcium there. The rehabbers we have here - the many folks in Florida, will help you, not try to confiscate your baby, so please do post an approximate area.

In the meantime, I would return him to an environment where bottom heat is available and I would do some rehydration feedings. I you do not have any pedialyte, make this:
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 Tablespoons sugar
    1 quart water

And syringe feed to him warmed like formula. Keep him warm and give him fluids for the next fw hours and let us know how he does.

if he's been getting formula until this week then he's been getting calcium from the esbilac .........i don't think that mbd is the problem right now....

Emergency Treatment for Metabolic Bone Disease (updated 3-31-09)

Get calcium into the squirrel IMMEDIATELY, not later, not tomorrow, NOW. Delaying treatment can cause death or permanent paralysis.

You will need:

--Tums or calcium pills (any kind)
    --a syringe, eyedropper, or spoon

Crush one Tums or calcium pill and add a little water or fruit juice. Use the syringe, eyedropper, or spoon to force-feed the mixture, a little at a time, until it is all gone. Feed a total of 600-800 mg of calcium, and spread it out through the day and night to keep his blood calcium levels as steady as possible.

If the squirrel is having seizures, weakness, or paralysis, the symptoms will usually improve within a few hours, but this does not mean the squirrel is cured. It will take many months to rebuild the calcium in the bones.
    Long-Term Treatment for MBD

The next step to curing MBD is to fix the diet.

1. Remove ALL seeds, nuts, corn, and treats.

2. Follow the Healthy Diet For Pet Squirrels, which can be found at the top of the “Squirrel Nutrition” forum. (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16093) Your squirrel MUST eat rodent block or squirrel blocks every day. If your squirrel doesn't like rodent blocks, you can try crushing them up with peanut butter or avocado temporarily. You can also make a tastier version of squirrel blocks using the recipe at the top of the Squirrel Nutrition forum.

3. In addition to the Healthy Diet, you will need to continue giving extra calcium every day for several weeks. Either use the syringe/eyedropper or you can try putting the calcium on a small piece of fruit.

Week 1: calcium = 500 mg per day
    Week 2: calcium = 250 mg per day
    Weeks 3-8: calcium = 100 mg per day

The cause of the acute symptoms—weakness, lethargy, seizures, paralysis—is a drop in blood calcium levels. If these symptoms return at any time, you will need to give another emergency dose of calcium.
    More Tips
    MBD causes brittle bones that break easily. Try to keep your squirrel away from high places, where he might jump and break a bone. Also, if he is in a tall cage, either place him in a smaller cage, or pad the bottom very well.

Heat is very soothing for a squirrel with MBD. A heating pad turned to low and placed so they cannot chew the pad or cord, or a rice buddy (a sock filled with dry rice/beans and microwaved for about 20 seconds) will work.

Silvana..

i've sent jackies phone number by email.

Silvana..

Thanks for the help!

He suddenly had several bowel movements in the last hour (that were normal firmness) and about 1/2 hour ago I gave him a crushed tums in H20 and he's getting more active. Not sure which is helping, but he seems to be perking up a bit. Maybe he was slighlty constipated or had a tummy ache with starting to eat solid foods?

He should be getting plent of Ca from the formula right now. He's not really eating much of the rodent block. Previously I've ground them up and added to the formula to transition squirrels- but this one just doesn't seem to like the taste at all. Any ideas how to get him to be more interested in them? I saw the recipe for Boo balls and am going to try to make some of those.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

hi,
    do you know how much he weighs?
    how much are you feeding him and how often?
    can you post a pic?
    ty gs1

He seems to be doing much better.

He's 270g
    feeding ~13-20 ml 3x/day plus solids available.

He's been on the upper side of the formula amount since week 4 for his weight.

I'm working on weaning for the past 2 weeks, but he's not really taking to the rodent block, just carrots and greens, occationally pumpkin seeds and walnuts. Doesn't touch most of the veggies yet.

just quoting someone else... "you don't wean them ... you keep trying to push formula until they won't take it anymore"... then you move to bowls or booballs made with henrys healthy blocks....and fox valley (lol... my favourite)....

some will take fox valley in yogurt (vanilla full fat kind)

it's insurance against mbd ... and also for their first few weeks in the wild...

Silvana..

4skwerlz one of our members has made a squirrel block for growing babies...

http://www.henryspets.com/products/S...h-Formula.html

If you wanted to make your own block recipe.... this recipe is for adults but i'm sure that with the addition of fox valley formula (as in the boo balls recipe below) it will be perfect for a growing squirrel....

(i always think it's better that people make boo balls with henry healthy blocks.... i prefer henryspets quality control and human grade ingredients over the commercial pet food manufacturers )

(http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21233)

Squirrel Block Recipe (Revised 01/31/10)

Makes approximately a 4-week supply for a 1-pound squirrel.

Preheat oven to 205 degrees Fahrenheit

Dry ingredients:
    72 g Pure Whey Protein Isolate for adult formula (for growth formula, use 168 g).
    200 g finely ground nuts (any kind; peanuts, pecans, or almonds work well)
    2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
    1 tsp non-iodized salt (Optional)
    1 package (45 g) Henry's Healthy Vita-Mins*

Wet ingredients:
    1 whole egg
    1 tsp vanilla or almond extract (optional)
    1/2 cup water, or a little more, as needed (this is for growth formula only; do not add water to the adult formula unless the dough is too dry when mixed)

Instructions:
    Place dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.

Add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until dough sticks together. It will be fairly dry, like pie crust dough. Wearing gloves or with your bare hands (oiled), press the dough down and then start to knead it. Once the dough forms a ball, place it onto a lightly greased surface and knead a few more times until smooth and uniform in color. Roll dough out into a roll about 12 inches long and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. While still warm, cut into 60 pieces with a sharp knife

Allow the blocks to cool for at least 2 hours. Then place in zip-lock bags and store them in the fridge or freezer. They will keep in the fridge for several weeks. They will keep in the freezer for several months (unopened and with as much air as possible removed from the bag before sealing). Some squirrels enjoy eating them cold or frozen, but you can also put a cold block into the microwave for about 5-10 seconds to warm it up.

Feed 2-3 per day for a 1-pound (453 g) squirrel. Different squirrels will have different energy requirements.

Visit the Henry's Healthy Pets website: http://henryspets.com

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26131

BOO BALLS.

Here is the recipe and instructions (it is equal amounts of powdered rodent block, FV dry formula, crushed pecans):

50 grams rodent block (crushed to a fine powder) I use two (25 grams each) , Kaytee Forti-diet and Harlan Teklad 2014 or 2018.

50 grams powdered Fox Valley squirrel formula

50 grams crushed pecans

Mix ingredients together.

Mix organic baby food fruit (100 grams) and 20 grams Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil together and warm for 20 seconds in the microwave. Add this wet mixture to your dry ingredients until well blended. It will seem very wet. (I use Earth's Best Organic Apples & Plums).

Put in the refrigerator for 5 hours (Overnight is even better). This lets it set up. It softens/moistens the rodent block and dissolves the FV.

Once you are ready to serve it take out about a 1/2 tsp (5 grams) of the mixture and roll is in your hands but not so much that it will melt the coconut oil. Give it to your squirrel. This recipe feeds two squirrels for about a week.

Silvana..

It is very possible he had an upset stomach or bowel so keep an eye on that for sure.
    Sounds like you are doing everything else right so far.
    As they eat new foods there may be some adjusting to them.
    Definitely stay in touch here or directly with Jackie for support.
    I hope he bounces back quickly!

I agree on the weaning, to let it happen naturally.
    I do cut back on the number of times in the day that I offer the formula,
    but not on the quantity.
    They start to slow down on their own as their food consumption increases,
    and therefore there is no stress for them in feeling like they are being deprived of something they want.
    The longer they take the formula the healthier the babies usually are!
    "I always thought someone should do something about that, then I realized I was someone” ~ Lily Tomlin

"The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing" ~ Albert Einstein

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Oneocean
    He seems to be doing much better.

He's 270g
    feeding ~13-20 ml 3x/day plus solids available.

He's been on the upper side of the formula amount since week 4 for his weight.

I'm working on weaning for the past 2 weeks, but he's not really taking to the rodent block, just carrots and greens, occationally pumpkin seeds and walnuts. Doesn't touch most of the veggies yet.
    Keep feeding formula...
    He's not ready to wean. I think boys take longer. He's still at a very tender age.
    You can offer soaked rodent block covered with formula in a bowl, change it every day because it gets funky.
    He's hungry and needy and doesn't want to wean but ate too much and his tummy got upset...it happens
    Love him up
    keep him on schedule
    offer a bowl of water or water bottle

the longer they stay on formula the better

First of all, I love your name Oneocean

I'm not a rehabbing expert but I can say that I've had experience with rodent block and it's typically full of corn and other fillers that very well could have caused the constipation.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm thinking he just had a bit of a tummy ache and wasn't feeling well, therefore not wanting any food. He's back to normal and doing well.

So here's my question now- he's been on Esbilac puppy and doing really well (up to the solid foods upset stomach). (and Yes, I do know the issues with esbilac but am having really good success with it). However, I need to get more powder- should I stay on the esbilac since he's been doing so well on it or change him to FV? If I change him to FV- what coversion ratio should I use to change him over slowly?

Thanks,
    ~D~
    <; )))<< ~~~~ <; )))<< ~~~
    ~~~~ <; )))<< ~~~~ <; )))<< ~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast