Thread: squirrels and rabbits?

Hybrid View

MoMo - mom Guest

Unhappy squirrels and rabbits?

hey! new member, worried to death. taking care of my momo squirrel for 4 months now (will release in spring) and received yesterday a rabbit, from someone that "got tired" (!). could not refuse, of course. my momo does not appreciate it too much, she kind of fussed at it, and got very jealous. she is my princess, and do not want to get her unhappy, or sick from some germs (if any - cookie seems healthy, though) or mess with her future release (as in making her too friendly to bigger animals). ont he other hand, cookie needs his love and wondering around the house. please advise!!!

Somebody's Mother Guest

Default Re: squirrels and rabbits?

squirrels and rabbits have their own personalities. it may be that momo is going to continue to ignore and resent cookie. my guinea pig has never warmed up to a squirrel. he didn't like the grey squirrel but he is okay with the flyer. but i think that is because the guinea pig sometimes gets in the bottom of the flyers cage and gets to eat the carrots and broccoli that fall to the floor.
    you might try offering some of the rabbit treats to momo so she can see an advantage to the newbie.

MoMo - mom Guest

that sounds like an idea! anyway, thanks for getting back to me. It's nice to know I am not alone in here

Somebody's Mother Guest

my dogs insist on having a monkey biscuit when the flyer gets one. they love them more than dinky does.

Timber Guest

Momo mom, on the whole I don't think rabbits and squirrels get along very well. I have Timber a 3yr.4mo. old squirrel who was about 2 when I took in a 24 hour old pinkie cotton tail. He hates her. I thought it was simply becasue he was jealous but then this past summer I got Wahdee when Scrabbit was about a year old. They don't get along either and I thought that for sure they might get use to one another since i have them in the big cage together. Well not exactually together. Each has its own smaller cage set inside their big cage which is where they all get time in to run and romp and exercise. But i can't allow them out together because they don't get along. And believe me if the rabbit gets annoyed enough it will rip a squirrels belly wide open with its back claws. Unfortunately I have seen this done before in 1972. Be careful.

MoMo - mom Guest

so I guess I will let my princess rule and mr. rabbit will leave his cage when momo goes to sleep. I will have a full day trying to please both of them!
    also, do you guys know anything about rabbits? he is very...well behaved - does not leave cage, even when door is opened. and you know, after spending time with Momo, thi seems at least strange.

anyway, thank you for resolving my dilemma!
    you people are a wonderful bunch!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MoMo - mom Guest

sorry for the size of the picture, it's the first time I post here!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.