Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to feed a grey squirrel?

unknown123 Guest

Default What to feed a grey squirrel?

Hi everyone im new to these forums and have had a pet squirrel for almost 2 years now. For the past two years i've been feeding him rodent blacks ALOT of nuts like almonds and vegitables here and there. Looking at the food thread i've realized i been feeding him way too much nuts.

Im not very sure what to feed my squirrel can anyone tell me what you feed your pet on a daily bases? thanks alot

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: What to feed a grey squirrel?

We have a nutrition forum..sorry I cannot help, I have to feed babies and flyers...here's a link!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/f...play.php?f=191
    you can find stickys with The healthy diet etc..
    sqs need lots of calcium, so try reading some threads related to calciumm suppliments..
    I recommend Henry's Healthy Blocks...
    henryspets.com
    someone will be here soon with info for you!
    We love pics!

here is an example of what I feed diesel on a weekly..hope this helps

monday
    2 henrey blocks that you can find at henryspets.com (blocks made for squirrels)
    about three rodent blocks
    baby arugula
    kale
    radishes
    and like two pieces of strawberry
    like 5 superworms

Tuesday
    2 henrey blocks
    about three rodent blocks
    mushroom
    tunrip greens
    cucumber
    and a pecan (in shell)

wednesday
    2 boo balls (you can find recipe in nutrition thread)
    rodent blocks
    zucchini
    collard greens
    asparagus
    and some blueberries like 5
    5 mealworm

thursday
    2 henrey blocks
    rodent blocks
    bok choy
    brussels sprouts
    green beans
    like three pieces of cantaloupe

friday
    2 henrey blocks
    rodent blocks
    cilantro
    watercress
    radicchio
    5 superworms

saturday
    2 boo balls
    rodent block
    cabbage
    chicory
    green beans
    and a couple of raspberries

sunday
    2 henrey blocks
    rodent blocks
    mushroom
    kale
    baby arugula
    a chestnut

I try and give him 3 different veggies a day and limit fruit so he doesnt develope diabieties....he get ALOT of out cage time so make sure you little one is so they don't become over weight I believe that is an issue with them becoming overweight... I hope this helps I don't know if you will be able to have that many variety in veggies...I happen to always have all sorts because I have many animals that eat the same veggie (sugar gliders, flyers, hedgehog...etc

I try not to give him more than 2 nuts a week and I give him the worms for protein since he doesn't like chicken...if you go on the website henryspets.com there is a list of safe foods for them thats were Ipick all my food is from that list and alternate them around ..I hope this helps let me know if you have anymore questions...also make sure you have alot of things your little one can chew on i have organic pig ears in there, antler, branches, pinecones, etc...on that list it also has some examples of what is safe for them to chew on under wild food.

You have to correct your little one's diet asap so you don't have any issues with MBD...

unknown123 Guest

thanks this helps alot. I'll try to get some blocks by next week and will go shop for vegitables tommorow. i never knew squirrels ate worms 0.0

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by unknown123
    thanks this helps alot. I'll try to get some blocks by next week and will go shop for vegitables tommorow. i never knew squirrels ate worms 0.0
    I feed mine meal worms. you can buy them in most petstores, some hardware stores (i know Ace Hardware sells them), or even online. They come live or dead, although I think live might be better for them. I can't feed live, just knowing that they're in my room will make me feel like they're crawling on me all night..

Glad you are here! Please read the nutrition threads. Especially the MBD info. If you think that your squirrel has had a poor diet for a while it will not hurt to do the MBD treatments. Don't take a chance. It is very hard to transition a squirrel back to rodent block from nuts. They will hold out a long time but you have to hold out longer. You have to get creative sometimes. Start with the boo balls. I sometimes have to alter the ingredients
    a bit to spark interest. Even sometimes I bake them at 225 degrees for 20-30 min. or even add baby food flavors they like.(squash, peach, oatmeal banana, anything for them to start eating them. Mine like sesame seeds too.) Once they begin to eat them you can slooooowly transition back to or close to the original recipe. You have to have tough love to get this diet in order. So be sure to read the nutrition sections and ask as many questions as necessary.

Marty, Licensed Maryland Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

They come live or dead, although I think live might be better for them. I can't feed live, just knowing that they're in my room will make me feel like they're crawling on me all night.. [/QUOTE]

you would hate coming to my place I breed my mealies

Here is a list of the best foods to feed squirrels:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16093

My babies seems to enjoy....
    Sweet Potatoes
    Dark Mushrooms
    Radish
    Kale - Greens
    Carrots
    Corn on Cob
    Apples & Walnuts
    Assorted Nuts in Shell
    Celery with Creamy Peanut
    HHB & Rodent Blocks

Looks at the list and dont be afraid to mix it up..... variety keeps them wanting.

unknown123 Guest

I'd love to order HHB's but at the moment ordering stuff online isnt an option. Could i use rodent blocks from petsmart to feed a squirrel? If so which kind is the best.

Yes, you absolutely can. I would use the KayTee or Mazuri rodent block. Both
    can be purchasd at PetSmart. I think Petco too. You can use those in the boo ball recipe. There are some other good ones that other members recommend. I will look for those other brands and let you know. The important thing is to get some kind to start with and get them interested in them. Now that will be the tough part as I explained in my last post to you. Good luck and ask all the questions you need.

Marty,, Licensed Maryland Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by unknown123
    Could i use rodent blocks from petsmart to feed a squirrel? If so which kind is the best.
    I use Harlan Teklad (2018) Rodent Block one of the Best Brands out there - but I'm not sure IF you can get them at the local Pet Stores..... I buy mine online.

Some may disagree but frozen veggies are awesome and dont go bad! I freeze grapes and buy other frozen fruits. Some stuff is fresh but the things I feed all month long are frozen.
    R.I.P Dingo, my sweet little lover

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat
    Yes, you absolutely can. I would use the KayTee or Mazuri rodent block. Both
    can be purchasd at PetSmart. I think Petco too. You can use those in the boo ball recipe. There are some other good ones that other members recommend. I will look for those other brands and let you know. The important thing is to get some kind to start with and get them interested in them. Now that will be the tough part as I explained in my last post to you. Good luck and ask all the questions you need.

Marty,, Licensed Maryland Master Wildlife Rehabilitator
    You can use the Kaytee Forti diet ... be sure it is the Pro Health. I prefer Harlan Teklad but I think you can only get it online so go with the Kaytee until you can get the other.

If you can run a food processor or blender you can make Boo Balls. Really simple and most squirrels like them.

Good luck.

My Little guy just started Losing his hair It is thining out.He is a very active little guy.But i want to kick what every is causeing him to lose his hair in the butt before he gets real sick. Can you help me he is about 6 months old now.My cat is the one that gave him to us he just Brought him home.My cat does not even kill mice he seems to bring evey thing home alive.My heart was broken when i seen it was a baby squirrel.So we took it from him and are looking after him now.We named him Peanut.Just want to make sure he get every thing he needs to be healthy. He is missing something for his hair to be thining.I am worried about him.Can you Please help me.I feed him lots of Veggies Friuts And nuts He Just Loves Peacans.But I Am having a hard time finding Rodent Blocks.Can you tell me if it is a block or is it Pellets.I am going to get him some millworm for him i never knew they ate them .I give him his nuts after he eats his greens.I give him Almonds Peacans Walnuts some time peanuts but he dont seem to like the peanuts.Can i give him Baby food out of the jars.Please need help to keep him heathly and Happy
    Last edited by Pixie; 10-14-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Miss spelled words

Go online and order blocks (hhb's) from Henry's Healthy Blocks. You will need to cut nuts out for a bit, as he will choose them over everything. Nuts should be treats only, not a major part of the diet (on a squirrel inside, as they cannot eat what wilds would normally eat.) In a diet with a high nut content, you are asking for MBD. Thinning fur can be one of the first symptoms of it. But it could also be caused by mites, as well. Do you feed any mushrooms? They need vitamin D to help absorb calcium. What specifically do you feed on a normal day? Describe in detail what you would feed in one day. And also, when he was on formula, what type did you use?

Sorry, jusr read more of the posts. I use Mazuri blocks as well.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Oh, I was responding to Pixie...yikes, confusing..sorry.

Pixie, are you in Milton,MA?
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Yes i am in Milton.I feed Him only nuts and greens and vegs,I love the little guy so much.I gave him Puppy milk.he has been off milk for like two months.I just found ur site and thought i would ask some people that knew what they were talking about.I wrote down the recipe for boo ball I am missing the Rodent Block.I can't find it any where.If you could help me i would be indeaded to you you mama.Please help me keep my little man heathly and happy.I can't get the stuff off the internet as i don't have a credit card.So can you name a store that sells the stuff i need.I have found Rodent block Pellets so if they are ok please let me know.I have never ad to look after such a great little man as my peanut.In need of help Pixie

One more thing Mary Should i start to treat him for MBD Please help me keep my Little Love healthy and Happy and pain free.You have me Scared now.Pixie out

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie
    Yes i am in Milton.I feed Him only nuts and greens and vegs,I love the little guy so much.I gave him Puppy milk.he has been off milk for like two months.I just found ur site and thought i would ask some people that knew what they were talking about.I wrote down the recipe for boo ball I am missing the Rodent Block.I can't find it any where.If you could help me i would be indeaded to you you mama.Please help me keep my little man heathly and happy.I can't get the stuff off the internet as i don't have a credit card.So can you name a store that sells the stuff i need.I have found Rodent block Pellets so if they are ok please let me know.I have never ad to look after such a great little man as my peanut.In need of help Pixie
    You should be able to at least get the Kaytee Rodent Block (make sure it's the blue bag) at Petco.
    “You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.” Paul McCartney

Thank u I am getting a card so i can get the stuff off the net.I have never had a need for one till now.Thank u for ur help but no one has answer me about rodent block.Is it a block or is it Pellets.I can find the pellets but not a block.If some one could answer that i would know.If i am getting the right stuff..I have found rodent block for Rats and mice Is this the right stuff.Please can any one answer that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.