Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do they Squeak and Pounce?

DYNO14 Guest

Default Re: Why do they Squeak and Pounce?

Pretty neat to read all of your experiences. I cringe at the things they can get into that isn't very clean in the wild. Seems to work for them though. I never bought her any of the squirrel food the pet shops have. I read all the ingredients and saw some small bugs in there. Put it back on the shelf. I think those people are just out to make a buck anyways. All of her nuts are fresh or hand picked without any traces of small pin holes. All organic veggies and fruits. She won't touch anything that might stick to her lil face like banana's. I've been very picky with everything I've given her and to make sure it was free of any bugs or any toxins. I'm going to walmart to pick up the green organic mix now and some eggs. I've offered her boiled eggs but not the shell. My concern is not enough vitamin D. She does get unfiltered sunlight every day.

Play time is a run as fast as you can and pounce on my hand friendly. She kicks me and jumps straight up in the air. I let her win all the time and sometimes challenge her to make her a little stronger because another squirrel might not give her a break in loosing all the time. When she's tired she just lays out flat to take a break. We slow down with the message then and she reaches in to lick my nose and play with my face and hair. She has whole conversations with her light chatters and get so excited when I open the door to her home.

I think she's almost a year now. I'll sure miss her when I release her. I don't like a caged animal though.

Thank you everyone. Your experience and knowledge is her lifeline and I want her as healthy and strong as she can be. So glad I found you.

Thanks for sharing your exp and story with us of your little one..... I really enjoyed reading it.

Kristal Guest

Oh, and another thing I just thought of (Someone else would have suggested this in the morning, though )

Try to get some formula into her. She was weaned a bit too early (not your fault as you did not get the best advice), but maybe she is still young enough to get a bit of growing in. This is the formula that you want to use for squirrels:

http://foxvalleynutrition.com/prod/d...p?CID=1&PLID=1

There is a recipe for a treat called boo-balls in the nutrition section which is made with this formula. It's a good formula and it is nutritionally complete, so having some as a supplement throughout life will be very helpful in preventing any nutritional deficiency, including vitamin D. I put it into crunchy, nut sized cookies for my guys and have done so since they weaned. And, of course, the formula is really rich in calcium, too

Also since I neglected to say so in the first place, sorry

Kristal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DYNO14
    Pretty neat to read all of your experiences. I cringe at the things they can get into that isn't very clean in the wild. Seems to work for them though. I never bought her any of the squirrel food the pet shops have. I read all the ingredients and saw some small bugs in there. Put it back on the shelf. I think those people are just out to make a buck anyways.
    There is ready made squirrel food somewhere? Wow, I had no idea.

DYNO14 Guest

Got her some organic "herb" salad mix. She isn't sure of it. Stayed clear of it for a little while. Snuck up on it as she slowly stretched down the cage. She finally played with it but I didn't actually see her take a bite. Got some eggs and tossed the egg and rinsed the shells real good. She wouldn't touch them. I've tried carrots, celery and Romain. Not a fan of those either. Not a fan of many vegetables. She loves avocado. I'm careful with that so she doesn't get fat. Likes green beans, snow peas and corn on the cob. Cilantro? Do they eat that? Really is it good for them? I would think it would tear up their lil bellies.

Favorite fruits are blueberries, pears, green grapes, and apples.

I've given her nuts barely cracked open to make her work for them and sharpen and keep those teeth trim.

I'll cut back on the nuts.

I had to give her a water bottle from the outside of her cage. She spills it in a bowl when she runs all over the place. A natural source of water just didn't work out.

I don't think I can make the Boo Balls just yet. They look like they take practice in getting all the measurements right. Does anyone sell them I can trust?

The stores sell this cheap bag of sunflower seeds with cracked corn and they call it "squirrel food"

I know people thought I was nuts but I would sit in my back yard, go to the parks or find a place where the squirrels hang out at. I watched them play and when they looked for food I would creep up on them to see what they were eating and pick some of it and bring it home to her.

Why does all the websites say to give them corn, make peanut butter balls and everything else they really shouldn't have? More than one vet told me their diets are mostly grain. I was afraid I was hurting her by giving her vegetables. I do give her organic ferret treats every now and then. Are those ok?

Are they able to find all of the food I give her in the wild? Do wild squirrels develop fatal diseases also?

Thank you again for all of your help and welcoming me!

DYNO14 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NaturesGift
    Mine generally wean between 12-16 weeks. I let them stop.

They are not Necessarily bad as a treat every now an again. But untill she is clear of the possibility of MBD I wouldnt give them to her.

you can offer mealworms. Some like em some dont lol

I buy an organic "herb" salad mix from walmart and my kids go CRAZY over it.

But you can try the clover and dandelions.

Im sure others will chime in with other natural yummies for her.

It's still a No Way to the Organic Herb Salad Mix and Dandelion leaves. Yes to the Dandelion and later Yes to the egg shell. Clover plants somewhat.

Kristal Guest

Dandelion is pretty rich in calcium, iirc. My guys loved it when it was in season. For calcium chews, such as eggshells, bones or antlers, they just browse them. I always leave some in their cage for them to gnaw on when they like and put some antler bits and small, cleaned bones in their bed as they seem to like to gnaw on them when they wake up in the night. Mine never touch the chicken bones, but they like the denser beef bones.

Sure they like to over-eat things that are not good for them in excess. In the wild, seeds and nuts would be especially valuable, coveted and contended over for their high calories, but also because they can be stored for lean months later on. In the wild they also eat things like bugs, bones, antlers and eggs (shell included) that counterbalance the higher phosphorus that they get from nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds are like crack for squirrels. They go crazy for them.

For the boo balls there is really nothing to it. Just read the thread. But get some FV formula if you can as it is good to get some in their diet. It's nutritionally complete, and the fact that Baby was weaned too early may have left some mineral deficiencies that will show symptoms later.

And that "squirrel food" sounds horrible! It's probably as bad as ducks subsisting on chunks of white bread. I suppose it is sold more for our entertainment in feeding them than for their nutrition.

Oh, and also just keep trying with the things that you know are healthy. Cut the seeds and corn back to occasional treat level, and Baby should have more appetite left for the healthy stuff

DYNO14 Guest

Pictures taken today.
    I hope the link works

Does she look healthy?
    http://s802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/dyno14/

How do I clean the bones so she doesn't get any kind of poisoning?

Kristal Guest

She looks beautiful to me I don't think we get the fox squirrels here. Where are you in the US? I think there are some regional differences in size, or at least one person on this board said so...

I give them soup bones, so those are simmered until the meat falls off, almost, and then I pick off anything that remains before giving it to them. I give them the little oxtail bones. Ox tail is the cut that is best for broth as it is really flavourful and otherwise useless, so that is what I have it for... I think steak bones would also be alright. Just simmer them in some water after eating the steak and any meat sticking to the bone should fall off or soften up, at least.

Kristal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DYNO14
    Pictures taken today.
    I hope the link works

Does she look healthy?
    http://s802.photobucket.com/albums/yy310/dyno14/

How do I clean the bones so she doesn't get any kind of poisoning?
    Well, according to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_squirrel#Description

She might be a bit small. It's possible that she did not get to grow as much as she would have otherwise due to weaning too soon. If memory serves, foxers wean at 18 weeks or later in the wild.

There are many other members who know more about fox squirrels than I do, though. Natures Gift and Jo Shmoe come to mind right away as people who know foxers. Her coat is beautiful and she looks happy, though Still and all, MBD is not something that you can see on the outside until quite late when symptoms show. It's better to be safe than sorry. I would suggest that you get some fox valley formula, if you can, and supplement her diet with it Who knows, she might still be young enough for a late growth spurt. According to wikipedia they are not mature until they are 1 year old.

Tickle's Mom Guest

She is gorgeous

Beautiful baby! I would just like to point out that Best Life's post may have been onto something. If your little girl has any food stashes, especially of nuts of seeds, that is something that could make her aggression levels go up. She wont like it, but if she has any excess food stored in her cage, I would clean them out. Many-a good squirrel will get snappish when it comes to defending their stores. However, I do agree that part of it is just that she is wilding up. My girls arent down for being held anymore either, and havent been for some time.
    A 100% Survival Rate is Impossible, but Making Sure 100% of Our Little Babies are Loved is Guaranteed

"...I Love Not Man The Less, But Nature More." - Robert Frost

"When Life Leaves Us Blind... LOVE keeps us kind" -Linkin Park

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12