Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do they Squeak and Pounce?

DYNO14 Guest

Default Why do they Squeak and Pounce?

I wish I would have found this forum 9 months ago. I was fortunate to find "Baby" unharmed and in good health at about 3 months old. "Baby" was suitable for a boy or a girl. The first thing I did was to call my vet. I took her over and they gave her an IV to hydrate her. No formula needed. She had nice long, big, sharp teeth. Slept in my pocket and never attempted to bite me. Very sweet now and we play for hours. Lots of toys and those get beat up.

I trained her not to bit me by stopping when she got rough and making a quick aaa noise. I can't duplicate it. It worked because she stopped also and ran away and then came back to play nice.

Now, I can't hold her. She squeaks and runs off. What does the squeaking noise mean? Is she mimicking me or do they make the noise when they don't like something? I can pet her. Scratch her shoulders, back, rub her belly almost, support her butt with one hand and pet her with the other but, I can't pick her up anymore. She has never been aggressive towards me but will sorta charge and pounce at others or the small dog I have on occasion. Never is she lose. Too many predators to get her.

I hope I am posting correctly. This is my first post.

Default Re: Why do they Squeak and Pounce?

Sadly most squirrels don't stay in that "pick me up" stage. They are not cats or dogs. They are free spirits!! And although he/she may approve of a good scratching now and again he/she is changing

Your babies hormones are kicking in. Have you considered release?

What's Baby's diet like? Did baby never get formula?

The diet is very important b.c if it's wrong that can also change how thy act.

Any pics?

M

Tickle's Mom Guest

NG is right. Tickle squeaked because she was in pain from MBD. NOT saying that's what is going on but.......pain and/or discomfort is a possibility.

Tickle's Mom Guest

And I almost forgot -
    Glad you found us.

Hi DYN014 - So glad you found TSB! I only foster orphan squirrels until they are old enough to be released back into the wild, so I'll leave the questions/answers to the experts. The more you can share about your little one, the better they can assist you. Everyone here is so nice, and there is a LOT of helpful information.

Just curious...is Baby a Gray Squirrel? Flyer? Did you get her as a pet or did you find her somewhere? She sounds adorable, and very sweet. Pictures are not required, of course, but MUCH appreciated. Can't get enough of that good stuff!!
    Linda

DYNO14 Guest

No. Baby never had formula. This is probably all wrong. The vet had me feed her peanut butter to get her protein level up. I've raised various wildlife pets. After reading I quickly ordered her some of the cubes from a website I see all through the forums. Growth and the rodent blocks. She has her tree limbs to climb and chew on. A hammock, hanging hut, a bark hanging toy with a bell, some toys an she's trained on wee wee pads to potty. Spoiled little girl.

Her diet has been a daily variety of fresh asparagus, broccoli, corn on the cob, 1 leaf of spinach once in a while(won't touch the hard corn) apples, oranges, cantaloupe, mushrooms, blueberries, avocado, (doesn't like tomatoes) green grapes, mango, peaches, pecans, walnuts, acorns, sun flower seeds, almonds, (all natural no salt) Although a good variety but not as heavy on the vegetables as I should have been. I have read where I have fallen short on some of her nutrition. The vet said mostly grain. That's what I did. That all changes asap. New diet started today. She always has fresh water.

I've learned so much already here.

I tried to release her last summer. She wouldn't have it. I left her cage open outside and when I went out to check on her she raced to me and burried herself in my neck/hair. I have a lot of cats here now and I'm terrified to release her here. I've took her outside with me and she would jump in the tree and run as fast as she could back to me, climb up my leg and into my shirt. Now I can't attempt that here because of all the cats.

So they don't like to be held when they get older? I can support her butt while almost holding her but to pick her up, shes not crazy about that.

Her teeth are good. I bought some really hard limbs of various trees for her to chew on.

She lives in a 8' tall cage. 8' wide and 8' in depth. I wanted her to have plenty of exercise so I had a nice big cage made for her. She has a jungle in there with her large tree branches. Bottom to the top. On the sides to the top of her house.

I kick everyone out of the house and I leave the door open to her cage. She will not leave it. I come in and she jumps on me and we have a whole conversation.

Last year I left her door open and the window open. She wouldn't leave.

One noise she doesn't make is the barking I've heard them do.

I do have lots of pictures. I'll try to upload some.

DYNO14 Guest

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome. As soon as I can learn how to add pictures I will. Looking for that now.

These are some recent pics in her holding cleaned her home.

DYNO14 Guest

Should have been pics in her spare/holding cage while I cleaned her home.

DYNO14 Guest

She only pounced as we approached winter as she scurried along hiding all of her acorns. No signs of MBA from everything I researched. Seems like she just doesn't want me to pick her up.

wow your vet seriously had you feed her peanutbutter The poor baby!

yea getting rodent block is a GREAT Idea as well as tweaking her diet. I wouldnt give her any sunflower seeds/peanuts..cashews.

Only "True" nuts and till we rule out MBD I would only let her have 2 a day in the evening so she gets all the good stuff first.

Try going outside and getting tree buds... as well as a variety of greens besides spinach. Differnt romaines.

Dandelion leaves... Clover plants... YUM!

She may not have been ready then. And if its MBD shes not ready now.

If its hormones she may be ready and you will see more signs as spring comes upon us.

But for now lets get her healthy..MBD kills.

Quote Originally Posted by DYNO14
    She only pounced as we approached winter as she scurried along hiding all of her acorns. No signs of MBA from everything I researched. Seems like she just doesn't want me to pick her up.
    By the time symtoms are showing its bad!!! Its best to be prepared and prevent it at all costs!

DYNO14 Guest

MBD sounds horrible. Thank you for your post. How old are they supposed to stay on formula? It was in the spring when I found her. I've raised baby ground squirrels, raccoons, groundhogs, linx, bobcats and I've always released them. They let me know when it was time to be free. My baby skunk was the hardest to release. She did not want to go.

Makes me really mad that he had me feed her the wrong food. I placed my order late last night as soon as I started reading about her diet. I got a confirmation it has already shipped.

Why are sunflower seeds bad? She loves them. I give her different foods so she isn't eating the same thing all the time. Doesn't like cashews, peanuts or pistachio. She loves pecans, walnuts, almonds, acorns and sunflower seeds. I'll take a drive to the country to look for the other foods you told me about. I often cut a branch from outside after inspecting it for bugs.

Should I get her some meal worms? I read that dirt was good also. Is this true?

I've tried all kinds of lettuce. No interest.

DYNO14 Guest

This picture was taken when I found her. Does she look like she should have been on formula? Can't get the other pics to upload. Submitted but I don't know where they went.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mine generally wean between 12-16 weeks. I let them stop.

They are not Necessarily bad as a treat every now an again. But untill she is clear of the possibility of MBD I wouldnt give them to her.

you can offer mealworms. Some like em some dont lol

I buy an organic "herb" salad mix from walmart and my kids go CRAZY over it.

But you can try the clover and dandelions.

Im sure others will chime in with other natural yummies for her.

This picture was taken when I found her. Does she look like she should have been on formula? Can't get the other pics to upload. Submitted but I don't know where they went.
    I gosh a foxer IM IN LOVE!!!!

Yea at that age she would have still been on formula

She must be stunning!

Well, there you go! Even the sweetest little squirrels will turn into land sharks if you interrupt their stashing activity! Picking up/holding = being restrained. I think they just don't like it. The cuddly "infant" stage ends way to quickly. I'm glad you're here researching the site, and the rehabbers can help you sort out the conflicting info from the vet. It's rare, but not impossible, to find a vet that knows something about what it takes to raise a healthy squirrel. Wouldn't surprise me if some of them learned it here!

...and BTW, DUH If I had a setup like Baby's, I wouldn't want to leave, either!! Sounds like the Barbie Dream Home for squirrels!
    Linda

Kristal Guest

Seeds are not great because they are very high in phosphorus and this prevents calcium absorption, I think. In any case, it is advised to keep phosphorus levels low in the diet and to try to keep a favourable ratio with calcium. I think this thread in the nutrition section has more about it.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15397

My guys go nuts for corn and sunflower seeds, too, so I still give them a little as a treat, occasionally.

The diet does not look good to me, TBH. It has good variety, but is low on calcium and too high on phosphorus. You're going to have to make some adjustments to prevent MBD, and hopefully it has not started already .

How old is your little one? Even cuddly squirrels do not like to be picked up once they are mobile and competent on their own feet. I can get away with it with two of my four, but only if they are quite sleepy or blissed out from being petted. The other two will not allow it at all, ever. The quick yelp is a scared and startled sound. They hate to feel confined or grabbed at. It wakes up their flight instincts which are very strong, indeed.

DYNO14 Guest

She is so incredibly sweet. Loving. She gets a message every evening. Reaches the front legs back so I can scratch her shoulders. Behind her ears, top of her head. She gets a lot of attention. Ok I'm off to the country in the morning with a list! Thank you so much!

OH... she is beautiful!! Do try again with the other pictures. Can't wait to see more!
    Linda

Kristal Guest

Mm, I would suggest you at least add calcium chews right away. I give my guys dried eggshells, cleaned soup bones and deer antlers to chew on. They supplement their own calcium this way.

Believe it or not, they alerted me to the need for calcium chews themselves. My runt, Babe, fished an eggshell out of the compost and trotted around with it for two hours, not letting his sibs have it and gnawing on it periodically. When he had enough and put it down, the others had a go at it. At first I tried to get it away from him because it was in the compost with mucky veggies and coffee grounds, but then I realised that they must eat this in the wild. They eat naturally shed deer antlers in the wild, too, from what others on the forum have said. I think it is pretty cool how they seem to know what they need and will get it themselves if they have a chance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast