Thread: How to Attract Squirrels to Yard?

Question How to Attract Squirrels to Yard?

My family has finally gotten settled into our new house and I am ready to start buying items to get my back yard ready for the local squirrels to visit when Spring arrives... and with that I would love to hear some advice from other squirrel lovers to what should be placed in my yard to best attract the squirrels with.

Default Re: How to Attract Squirrels to Yard?

What never fails for me is a bird feeder....not that I put it up for the squirrels, obviously - hee hee - but they always spot the feeder and show up. Once they know there's a food source available, I get them off the bird feeder and start feeding them nuts and fruits that are good for them.

Thumbs up Re: How to Attract Squirrels to Yard?

Sounds good..... Place a Bird Feeder and They Will Come.

Squirrels are in areas where there are established trees. If your area has established trees, likely there will be squirrels. You can encourage them by offering lodging, food and water. You can either make or buy squirrel nest boxes and put them at least 15 ft up in a tree. You can also offer fresh water every day along with their favorite foods, sunflower seeds, apple, corn, walnuts, hazelnuts. You'll be overrun with furballs if you provide these basics

Quote Originally Posted by Busysqrl
    If your area has established trees, likely there will be squirrels.
    Oh yes we do indeed had established trees and many local squirrels - I see them running out across the electrical poles every morning to go look for food to eat for the day and then again every night when they are returning back home to the safety of their nest before dark sets in.

You shouldn't have any trouble attracting them then

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody
    My family has finally gotten settled into our new house and I am ready to start buying items to get my back yard ready for the local squirrels to visit when Spring arrives... and with that I would love to hear some advice from other squirrel lovers to what should be placed in my yard to best attract the squirrels with.

I just gonna bust in here and say that I have a big old foxer that has staked out the back yard for years. every now and then I toss something out the kitchen window towards his tree.
    Today i threw a bag of cranberries and some cracked corn and sunflower seeds out the window.
    Five minutes later there were five of the biggest, fattest, fluffiest, Foxers ever...and more were running across the golf course... I lost count
    It was hilarious....no wonder my grays take off when I release them

Throw food out and they will come running.

That's so true, especially with foxers, the munchmouths of the squirrel world

I would love to see a big fluffy foxer in my yard, but I am in Central Florida so I dont see that happening.... well at least not any time soon.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Busysqrl
    That's so true, especially with foxers, the munchmouths of the squirrel world
    I wish I had a decent camera... this was unreal!!!

I know there were some big litters this year...big crop o foxies...seemed like they came in groups and a few came singly.

yes
    provide food and fresh water and sit back and enjoy.

Do most of you use open pans of food/nuts and fresh water to feed the wild squirrels with or do you use the wooden display shelves with the glass bottles or the see through squirrels feeders to feed them with?

mugzeezma Guest

Do most of you use open pans of food/nuts and fresh water to feed the wild squirrels with or do you use the wooden display shelves with the glass bottles or the see through squirrels feeders to feed them with?
    Want some Foxers??? I'll send you about 20! or toss out some cranberries!

I just toss it out the window. There is a better spread pattern so they have to move around and look for it.
    Those teeth of theirs will destroy anything you put out if it's not metal or ceramic.
    I think Crittermom has a good method.
    She feeds at the same time daily so they come running!

Thumbs up Re: How to Attract Squirrels to Yard?

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    She feeds at the same time daily so they come running!
    Good Ideal - and I remember when I stayed with my Granny on her farm when I was a little girl... those animals knew when it was feeding time and came runing when they heard the gate being open and if you were late getting to them the cows where usually at the front gate moooing for you -

Feed around same time, place food and water around same location too. these guys are good with smell and spacial memories

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegsMommy
    What never fails for me is a bird feeder....not that I put it up for the squirrels, obviously - hee hee - but they always spot the feeder and show up. Once they know there's a food source available, I get them off the bird feeder and start feeding them nuts and fruits that are good for them.
    SO TRUE!! Bird feeders are the best squirrel magnets. But I think you have to get a really expensive one and be sure that it has LOTS of ridiculous "squirrel proof" contraptions on it. Then, when you DO see squirrels coming, run out into your yard screaming and waving your arms around wildly. You'll be overrun by the little boogers in no time! (and your neighbors will probably never bother you, either!)
    Linda

I took 2 heave duty hard plastic bowls and screwed them into a tree using washers. Strong enough to hold 2 full grown foxes without bending.
    The water freezes here but it slides out easily of the plastic. I also feed twice a day. In the morning and at around 3 pm.
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola