Thread: Paralyzed Squirrel

Hybrid View

KristenPerkins Guest

Default Paralyzed Squirrel

I have a baby squirrel who was attached by a cat and is paralyzed from the waist down (legs and tail), he is able to potty on his own and has a healthy appetite. We just found him last night and he is very alert and pulling himself up the side of the cage. How can you tell if they are in pain, he doesn't seem to be able to feel, but I just want to make sure he is not in any pain.

Also, I am looking on how to build a squirrel cart (wheel chair) so that he does not have to drag his body on the ground and get sores. I've searched the internet; however, I only see them for dogs and cats. Has anyone ever made one? Any advice?

Arrow Re: Paralyzed Squirrel

Have you tried eHow.com - they have articles for every thing you could think of.

Here is one I found on eHow:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4883033_make...heelchair.html

Default Re: Paralyzed Squirrel

I wish I could be of help to you re. the cart but at least I wanted to say that your little fellow is indeed lucky to have fallen into the hands of soemone like you who is willing to give him a chance at a happy life.

Bless your heart for this.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

The famous Lazmobile was made from a child's toy:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ight=lazmobile
    Virginia Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator (formerly Georgia)

If this baby was attacked by a car, it needs antibiotics NOW. Do you have a vet who can prescribe preferably Baytril? Like, today?

lilidukes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KristenPerkins
    I have a baby squirrel who was attached by a cat and is paralyzed from the waist down (legs and tail), he is able to potty on his own and has a healthy appetite. We just found him last night and he is very alert and pulling himself up the side of the cage. How can you tell if they are in pain, he doesn't seem to be able to feel, but I just want to make sure he is not in any pain.

Also, I am looking on how to build a squirrel cart (wheel chair) so that he does not have to drag his body on the ground and get sores. I've searched the internet; however, I only see them for dogs and cats. Has anyone ever made one? Any advice?
    Kristen, for the time being forget the cart, time for that later.

First if this squirrel was attacked by a cat it needs antibiotics now. And with a spinal injury there a meds that need to be given ASAP. Pooping is good but is he peeing on his own. This is very important he might need to have his bladder expressed for him. Is he peeing in a different spot than where he sleeps or is he always wet? If he is always wet he might be expressing his bladder just by laying on his stomach. Keep him very clean he will require baths sometimes multiple times a day.
    As for pain are his eyes clear and shiny not weepy or cloudy. Does he make any noise while sleeping? Grunts or teeth chattering?
    He needs to be on Meticam it's for swelling and pain at the least.
    Keep him in a low cage no climbing for now.

Kristen, I'm not saying you can't be his care giver what I'm saying is that this boy needs a vet or an experienced rehabber NOW to assist you.

Best of luck to you both

I will send PM's to our members in TX and see if anyone is close enough to help you --
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

there are currently two threads on paralysed sqs in Texas...midas360 nand KristenPerkins...
    are these the same sq?
    Hoping we have a member close enough to help

KristenP, shoot me a PM, and I'll see what can be done.

Hi I had a similar problem recently I had an fully grown ( strong & otherwise healthy) Adult squirrel brought into the animal hospital, which had originally been attacked by a Magpie, she had a wound to her neck and was dragging her back legs, first we thought the Magpie attack/wound had somehow caused the paralysis in her back legs but then on treating the wound we began thinking that perhaps she was attacked BECAUSE of the back leg paralysis as she was a weak target, as magpies don't normally attempt to attack a strong healthy adult. She was on originally on Metacam (for pain relief and any inflamation and Baytri to stop infection for the wound) She would scream in pain when we tried to get walk/move to much at first and the Vet really thought that it was going to be euthanasia as she was so bad but i told her that despite everything she was taking critical care fluids via syringe off me and eating the occasional piece of fresh sweet corn. I then said that I knew it was a long shot but would there be any chance of trying out Prednisolone (steroids) as we had nothing to loose and i had heard good reports of wild deer and foxes with similar probs being treated with this it was good for shock too. So the Vet agreed for me to give the Squirrel 0.1ml of Preds every 48 hrs.( after stopping the Metacam of course). Well 24hrs after the first shot there was a massive improvement she was eating & drinking via syringe lots more she was moving about more and now after 1 and 1/2 wks she is using her back legs properly and although gets tired is quite feisty with it! but she is Wild remember! lol i have the bite marks to prove it lol. Hopefully She still ONLY needs a little more time to fully recover and build herself back up, She is having a check up today I will keep you informed. xxxxxxxxxx hope this gives you some hope and help. xxxxx
    Lisa.xxx (aka.ljhpsauce) SquirrelOnMyShoulder.com (Wildlife/Squirrel Rescue & Rehab) in Manchester.UK.:Thankyou. XXX

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Quote Originally Posted by ljhpsauce
    Hi I had a similar problem recently I had an fully grown ( strong & otherwise healthy) Adult squirrel brought into the animal hospital, which had originally been attacked by a Magpie, she had a wound to her neck and was dragging her back legs, first we thought the Magpie attack/wound had somehow caused the paralysis in her back legs but then on treating the wound we began thinking that perhaps she was attacked BECAUSE of the back leg paralysis as she was a weak target, as magpies don't normally attempt to attack a strong healthy adult. She was on originally on Metacam (for pain relief and any inflamation and Baytri to stop infection for the wound) She would scream in pain when we tried to get walk/move to much at first and the Vet really thought that it was going to be euthanasia as she was so bad but i told her that despite everything she was taking critical care fluids via syringe off me and eating the occasional piece of fresh sweet corn. I then said that I knew it was a long shot but would there be any chance of trying out Prednisolone (steroids) as we had nothing to loose and i had heard good reports of wild deer and foxes with similar probs being treated with this it was good for shock too. So the Vet agreed for me to give the Squirrel 0.1ml of Preds every 48 hrs.( after stopping the Metacam of course). Well 24hrs after the first shot there was a massive improvement she was eating & drinking via syringe lots more she was moving about more and now after 1 and 1/2 wks she is using her back legs properly and although gets tired is quite feisty with it! but she is Wild remember! lol i have the bite marks to prove it lol. Hopefully She still ONLY needs a little more time to fully recover and build herself back up, She is having a check up today I will keep you informed. xxxxxxxxxx hope this gives you some hope and help. xxxxx
    loved reading this...thank you for giving her your best!

ditto, Lisa! Good to see you here. Skul, thanks for being there!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

KristenPerkins Guest

Found a vet that see's squirrels, but he has jury duty today. Will try again later today. Went home at lunch peed and pooped him with a warm wet cotton ball. Then I washed his hind legs and put him in his little burrowing place.

I know he is in pain; so will keep trying the vet.

The story behind him is that we found him with 2 other baby squirrels, the momma came back for the two others and would not take him. So we nursed him to good health, named him Skipper, he was about 8-10 weeks and then he was ready to go, so we released him (about a month or so ago). He was happy as a clam, we watched him play with the other squirrels and he always stayed up in a tree.

Saturday night my neighbors found a squirrel laying half dead in the street, they brough it inside and put him on a heating blanket and called us. I wasn't sure if it was Skipper, so we brought him home anyway, and sure enough the next morning, I took a bottle in and the squirrel we had taken home the previosu night, and he knew how to drink out of the bottle and crawled up into my shirt, like he used to do. Then we knew it was Skipper that got attacked by the cat.

So he is really a sweet and docile squirrel, and I am so attached to him, that I just want to nurse him back to health and let him live his life out with us.

Ask the vet for Baytril, for the infection that WILL result from the cat bite, and see if you can get an injection of dex (dexamethazone) which is a steroidal anti-inflammatory and may help with the paralysis. Dex cannot be given with any of the anti steroidal meds such as metacaml, however.

The need to antibiotics is HUGE. That he will become infected from a cat bite is about as sure a bet as you can take. If the vet cannot see him, beg them to give you the meds TODAY. Any vet knows how BAD a cat bite can be, and antibiotics need to be started pronto, not tomorrow...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.