Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Squirrel with Broken(?) Leg and Skin Condition

Squirrel Master Guest

Default Re: Squirrel with Broken(?) Leg and Skin Condition

I didnt recognize Crippy at all when i first saw her with her injury and someone in the office neighbourhood claimed that she was new. So i cant help at all with determining her age.

I saw Splitty this am and he/she was scratching and im sure she has caught something from Crippy so would be good to treat her sooner than later

I have yet to see another squirrel scratch but I will keep an eye out for it!

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Master
    I didnt recognize Crippy at all when i first saw her with her injury and someone in the office neighbourhood claimed that she was new. So i cant help at all with determining her age.

I saw Splitty this am and he/she was scratching and im sure she has caught something from Crippy so would be good to treat her sooner than later

I have yet to see another squirrel scratch but I will keep an eye out for it!

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfriend
    Is there something that I could put on her skin to soothe it that is safe? is hydrocortisone cream ok to use? I think I have some for an ear infection that keep fighting off.
    How strong is the hydrocortisone you have for your ear?
    For the amount of skin you have to cover you need something much milder.
    We're working it out off forum right now.
    Someone will let you know soon.

mugzeezma Guest

I am going to go ahead and say what I would do personally. You will have to decide what is the right thing to do of course.
    IMO
    any OTC Hydrocortisone cream .5% some have Aloe in them so look around.
    A lot of them have 1% ,,,due to the amount of surface area affected and the fact that HC is absorbed into the blood stream I wouldn't use this more than 2-3 applications in as many days.
    Yes licking is a factor but it is absorbed into the bloodstream through the skin anyway.
    My reasoning for suggesting this is that her skin is rough, wrinkly, dry and reactive from all the infestations...allergic dermatitis in appearance. All the bites from mites and lice over time have caused this.
    She is also very stressed from being captured on top of having a broken limb and everything else.

I would apply this very thinly in a darkened room very quietly and slowly massage it in.

Some may disagree as I have said before, this is what I would do.
    Also redose with revolution in 2 weeks to make sure all the critters are gone.

I have:
    Hydrocortisone acetate 2%
    Hydrocortisone cream USP .5 %
    pure vitamin E skin oil

What are the dosages?

It doesn't seem to have aloe.

Sorry I went back and readthat you put the dosage fot the .5 %. I will apply that one.

mugzeezma Guest

Hydrocortisone cream USP .5 %

-Dampen fingertips with very warm water
    -Squeeze out a dose the size of a pea and rub it between your fingers so it's thin and smearable
    -Lightly wipe it onto the most irritated parts.
    Even a very thin layer should help.
    You really don't need a lot.
    Once a day for a couple of days should be good enough.
    After that you can try Aloe or vit E

Eating regular healthy foods and resting will do her more good than anything
    You might want to try Mrs Skuls FV smoothie recipe:

1 TBS of Formula
    2 TBS of Water
    1 TBS of Heavy Whipping Cream
    1/2 tsp of Vanilla Full Fat Yogurt

or some Vanilla Ensure Plus in a bowl to kick start her.

I feel so bad for this little girl.
    Wild animals are so stoic even though we know they are in serious discomfort.
    I know this has been said so many times already but it's true.

you're an angel

Thanks. I will get on that right away. She is such a sweety! She willgrumble when I come in the room. The first day she didn't even do that so she must be feeling a little bit better. But as soon as she sees me open the cage she will come right up to me and get whatever trea that I am offering her. What a sweetheart she is.

Runestonez Guest

I know this post is a wee bit late...
    as to the Ivermectin dose...
    the one rehabber here we were talking to has found a different way to dose squirrels...I haven't had to try it yet...
    She uses a 1/3 cc syringe with a really small needle...the sort you would use for insulin injections...
    she uses the liquid form of Ivermectin.
    she pushes out the tinest drop from the syringe and drops it on the inside flap of the ear and then rubs it into the ear skin.
    Apparently it is absorbed through the skin and works as effectively as the paste...as just as quick.
    She likes to use it on squirrels that have lots of lice and ticks, mange etc...
    she also uses it for raccoons too...same application...
    Have any of you ever tried using it this way?

I have used Ivermectin in the past like this. It worked really well on Mr. Tilty. I don't have any more of that and don't know where to get any. I do have Revolution and Advantage. THese are what used on this gal. THe skin that has alrady lost he hair is nice and dry now and the crust is coming off fine. THe Skin seems to be clearing up in these areas very nice. The affected areas that still have hair on them are still gommy with crust. It is a moist sticky crust when the fur is still on. Te skin dries up in a good way when the hair is gone.

mugzeezma Guest

I have used Ivermectin in the past like this. It worked really well on Mr. Tilty. I don't have any more of that and don't know where to get any. I do have Revolution and Advantage. THese are what used on this gal. THe skin that has alrady lost he hair is nice and dry now and the crust is coming off fine. THe Skin seems to be clearing up in these areas very nice. The affected areas that still have hair on them are still gommy with crust. It is a moist sticky crust when the fur is still on. Te skin dries up in a good way when the hair is gone.
    That's probably why they shaved the squee @ WWC. They have the meds to sedate there. I don't think it would be wise unless you did!
    BTW
    Advantage
    there is another thread you may want to check out about that product...I know I won't be using it!

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...742#post582742

Here are easy ways to get ivermectin paste, no vet needed: Go to a feed store [such as Agway's here in the states] and buy it in a tube for worming horses. Just ask for their wormers and make sure you buy ivermectin as there are other wormer products. If you can't find any feed stores [google for your area], you can order it from any horse supply catalog. You can order online and have it shipped overnight. I don't know about the shipping, but the medicine is generally ~$10. Dover's Saddlery is a great online company.

Once you get the tube, open it as per directions and squirt it out into a container with a lid. Make sure you stir it as a little liquid will be at the top of the tube that settled out and it needs to be mixed in [therefore don't just squeeze out a little off the top of the new tube--mix mix the whole contents first!]. This remainder of the tube can then be stored covered at room temp.

Dosing: For an adult rat, which are generally 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 lbs, and about the same as an adult squirrel, they only need an amount about the size of an uncooked grain of rice. Very little. Put it inside a treat and watch to make sure she eats it. One dose should be all that's necessary. We sometimes dose rats one more time one week later.

If a rehabber needs to tell us a different dosing for squirrels, please do.

Good luck!

Just wanted to say that she is still doing fine. She is a sweety. She will grumble and scratch at me when I have her in a towel but toss grape in there and she stops to ea mid grumble. A little scrtchin's calm her right down. I could scritch her for hours as long as I keep her eyes covered. throwing the odd nut in thre helps too. She will take water from an eye dropper too. Whenever my husband or I go into the room to feed her she will gimp her way to the front of the cage and gently take it from us. I love this little girl.

mugzeezma Guest

Just wanted to say that she is still doing fine. She is a sweety. She will grumble and scratch at me when I have her in a towel but toss grape in there and she stops to ea mid grumble. A little scrtchin's calm her right down. I could scritch her for hours as long as I keep her eyes covered. throwing the odd nut in thre helps too. She will take water from an eye dropper too. Whenever my husband or I go into the room to feed her she will gimp her way to the front of the cage and gently take it from us. I love this little girl.
    Soon enough she will begging for your attention. I'm so glad you have her in your care.

squirrelfriend .... you're amazing.....

kisses to all the furry babies.....

Silvana..

tip for flyer parents.... Flying Squirrels need meat every single day (mealworms/waxworms/cooked chicken breast)

lilidukes Guest

Scratches and good food they way to any squirrels heart,

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.