Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel with Broken(?) Leg and Skin Condition

Default Re: Squirrel with Broken(?) Leg and Skin Condition

These show the odd wear marks on her feet due to the way she walks because of her injury.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Geez, it's amazing what animals will live with.
    Happy with her hazelnuts, at least.
    Makes me want to cry thinking of all the little ones out there like that with no help, though.
    What have you figured out about her leg, SF?

Leg looks the same and I still can't see what is wrong with it. She keeps her body temp up fine. She is kept is a small, warm, dark room so she can rest and relax.

SHe got away from me when I was taking pictures of her. She is deffinitly not a climber at this point. I really don't know how she made it up to her nest at night or if she did for that matter.

Thank God you have her is all I can say. How was she during her bath?
    You know how I feel about you...but I have to say it again...you are amazing. You just do what you have to do, and never think a thing of it...it's second nature to you. Any squirrel that finds his way to you is blessed.

lilidukes Guest

Bless her heart, makes me wish I could knit so I could make her a sweater. I'm just following along with best wishes and prayers.
    Tea-tree oil might help with the small sores.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    Thank God you have her is all I can say. How was she during her bath?
    You know how I feel about you...but I have to say it again...you are amazing. You just do what you have to do, and never think a thing of it...it's second nature to you. Any squirrel that finds his way to you is blessed.
    Aaaaww Shucks. It's just that I can't resist these guys. They are jut too damned cute. No mater how many times they grumble at me or bite me I still love them all.

Thanks Nancy! You're too sweet.

About her bath. Lets put it this way. She was NOT happy about it. I took her into the shower with me. Luckily she cannot climb. It scares the hell out of them but sometmes it is neccessary. ook a that crust in her first pic after I got her. That stuff HAD to come off. It was nasty. It still is but not even close to what it was. It is like I have taken all the outer layers of all that crust off. The crust was about a quarter of an inch thick when got her What you see now is what is left after I got that outer layer of it off. Underneath all that crust is where all buggies were hiding too. Poor gal must have been itching like hell. I feel so sorry for her.

SquirrelFriend You Are A ANGEL!!!
    Were you able to put some Revolution on her after the bath? Do you need some Revolution?
    I have some extra!
    Bless Her Little Hart!
    I am so glad she found you!
    SQUIRRELFRIEND!
    Hero of the SQUIRRELS!

SF, is there a way to ask Squirrel Master to keep an eye on that other one, that looks like molting/early mange thing?... Just in case it is early mange indeed, so that s/he can be helped timely?

This little one does look awful, can only imagine what she's been feeling like! With all that itch (1/4" crust! ) she, probably, couldn't even get enough sleep and that must have been weakening her, too.

Interesting about the chasing away, because I have seen two squirrels here, who seemed wobbly (and hence, weaker), but they were chasing away others all the time.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfriend
    Aaaaww Shucks. It's just that I can't resist these guys. They are jut too damned cute. No mater how many times they grumble at me or bite me I still love them all.

Thanks Nancy! You're too sweet.

About her bath. Lets put it this way. She was NOT happy about it. I took her into the shower with me. Luckily she cannot climb. It scares the hell out of them but sometmes it is neccessary. ook a that crust in her first pic after I got her. That stuff HAD to come off. It was nasty. It still is but not even close to what it was. It is like I have taken all the outer layers of all that crust off. The crust was about a quarter of an inch thick when got her What you see now is what is left after I got that outer layer of it off. Underneath all that crust is where all buggies were hiding too. Poor gal must have been itching like hell. I feel so sorry for her.
    She still looks so raw...That poor itchy little body!
    Maybe a light coat of hydrocortisone cream?
    You are definitely her angel. I look forward to hearing about her new life with you.
    How old do you think she is?

Squirrel Master Guest

Awww poor lil guy losing more hair breaks my heart seeing the photos but at the same time it helps to know that C will be much safer and have a chance now that she has someone to look after her!

I feed these squireels a few times a day as they all live right beside my office building. Splitty, who is the friend that is in the photos is famous in our area and I am definitely keeping an extra close eye on him, hes like my child lol :P

I actually thought that Splittys ear(not the split one) looked a little odd at the tip of it and that is an early sign of mange or something> he is itching himself quite a bit but not like his friend that you have now.. i almost cried when i saw him rolling on the ground trying to deal with the itching. Never knew I would care so much for a squirrel but they make every work day better and always bring a smile to my face when im having a bad day!

Thansk again squirrel friend and to all who help these squirrels out!

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Master
    Awww poor lil guy losing more hair breaks my heart seeing the photos but at the same time it helps to know that C will be much safer and have a chance now that she has someone to look after her!

I feed these squireels a few times a day as they all live right beside my office building. Splitty, who is the friend that is in the photos is famous in our area and I am definitely keeping an extra close eye on him, hes like my child lol :P

I actually thought that Splittys ear(not the split one) looked a little odd at the tip of it and that is an early sign of mange or something> he is itching himself quite a bit but not like his friend that you have now.. i almost cried when i saw him rolling on the ground trying to deal with the itching. Never knew I would care so much for a squirrel but they make every work day better and always bring a smile to my face when im having a bad day!

She's a real hero isn't she?

If you can get hold of some Ivermectin paste wormer you can put a very small smear of it on a peanut and offer it to Splitty. Besides molting he looks like he's fighting off a bit of mange especially if he's rolling and scratching. Squirrelfriend may be able to guide you in the right direction as far as what to use and where to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Master

99% of ppl at my work place (leaving 1% for those, who haven't had a chance to speak on the subject, yet) hate squirrels. I am not exaggerating, they don't just dislike them, they wish them dead.
    Although, most of them are not very likable humans either.

So, it is so wonderful to know that there are ppl who care!

P.S yes, it did look like mange to me, so if he is scratching quite a bit, then, it must be

Squirrel Master Guest

Actually the one that was rolling around is the lil one that is now with Squirrel Friend Splitty just scratches here n there with his leg but it doesnt happen that often but I would like to try and do something to prevent it getting worse. Hopefully I can get my hands on some of that topical solution through a vet I know and will work/discuss with SF to ensure it is applied properly.

Oh and just to add some more info about Crippy. I had seen them in a tree more than once in the past two weeks but she definitely had issues moving on branches due to the leg. When she/he would come get peanuts from me.. it would barely be off the ground as it walked and the one leg was definitely dragging across the ground but i did notice a little bit of improvbement from 4 weeks ago when I first saw her.

Kristal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by astra

99% of ppl at my work place (leaving 1% for those, who haven't had a chance to speak on the subject, yet) hate squirrels. I am not exaggerating, they don't just dislike them, they wish them dead.
    Although, most of them are not very likable humans either.

So, it is so wonderful to know that there are ppl who care!

P.S yes, it did look like mange to me, so if he is scratching quite a bit, then, it must be
    I really, really don't understand people like that. Rats or mice I can see, since they do do property damage and may carry a few diseases that can affect us, but why squirrels? Did you ever ask them what their problem is?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Skul
    SquirrelFriend You Are A ANGEL!!!
    Were you able to put some Revolution on her after the bath? Do you need some Revolution?
    I have some extra!
    Bless Her Little Hart!
    I am so glad she found you!
    SQUIRRELFRIEND!
    Hero of the SQUIRRELS!

Thank you but I have lots for now. If all these others from her area have it and I need to dose them I might run out later. For now I am good though. Thanks so much for the offer.

I got some on her after her bath. I bathed he first then applied the meds.

Quote Originally Posted by astra
    SF, is there a way to ask Squirrel Master to keep an eye on that other one, that looks like molting/early mange thing?... Just in case it is early mange indeed, so that s/he can be helped timely?

This little one does look awful, can only imagine what she's been feeling like! With all that itch (1/4" crust! ) she, probably, couldn't even get enough sleep and that must have been weakening her, too.

Interesting about the chasing away, because I have seen two squirrels here, who seemed wobbly (and hence, weaker), but they were chasing away others all the time.
    We are already in the proccess of planning to dose them. We are just looking for some of those long Q-tips that the doctors use. The one in the pics is very friendly and a big favorite with that building. All the people that work in that building feed her and the others. I think she is te favorite. So to dose her I would just have to dab her on the back when she comes to get a nut.

Interesting about the wobbly ones chasing the others.

Is there something that I could put on her skin to soothe it that is safe? is hydrocortisone cream ok to use? I think I have some for an ear infection that keep fighting off.

I don't know how old she is but she is an adult. Maybe Squirrel Master might be able to answer that by how long they have been feeding her there.

I would not use hydrocortizone cream on open areas like this. It is okay for a topical rash but actually retards healing of large open areas.

Buy some Vitamin E caplets, poke a hole in one with a pin and squeeze the oil out - it will aid in healing and also keep the area moist and soft and will help to slough off more of that crusty mess.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    I would not use hydrocortizone cream on open areas like this. It is okay for a topical rash but actually retards healing of large open areas.

Buy some Vitamin E caplets, poke a hole in one with a pin and squeeze the oil out - it will aid in healing and also keep the area moist and soft and will help to slough off more of that crusty mess.
    nonnonono

Vit E is something I use on sunburns and winter windburn NEVER on an open wound. It's far to oily. It's a FABULOUS healing aid and moisturizer.

Hydrocortisone being a very mild OTC topical steroid will aid in healing and help the itching by reducing the inflammatory processes that have caused the loss of hair. It will also reduce the itching and weeping. Do clean the open rash with a dilute providine or betadine wash a couple of times a day. From what I see they don't look very severe.
    Use cream...water based...not ointment...petroleum based
    If the cream is white it is typically Zinc and water based. Zinc is also a wonderful healing agent. It hinders the proteins needed for bacteria and viruses to replicate as well. That's why it's recommended for colds

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.