Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirrel with Broken(?) Leg and Skin Condition

Squirrel Master Guest

Default Squirrel with Broken(?) Leg and Skin Condition

Hi everyone, I have been trying to register on thsi board for weeks but due to technical issues with the registration page, I am very late in asking for help on here. There is a squirrel outside my work and he has been injured and has a broken/injured leg which he sort of walks over and it drags underneath them, but it has been 3 weeks now and he seems to manage with it, not sure what can be done about it now or if it will ever heal. Also, he has a large patch of fur missing and is constantly scratching the area and the skin is very wrinkly and pinkish and there are flakes in his fur in the area that surround this patch. I have attached some pictures. I want to try and help this little guy out asap if possible as winter is soon coming and i am concerned he may freeze and also continue to suffer with this skin condition which i know drives him wild. If there are any more questions I can answer them. If anyone can suggest what I can do, how I can help or treat this condition or point me in the direction of someone who can, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mpetys Guest

Default Re: Squirrel with Broken(?) Leg and Skin Condition

I'm sorry that I am no help but I am sure some of our experienced rehabbers will be online soon and offer help. Thank you for trying to help this little one.

Michele

This little guy is going to need some help. There are too many problems going against this guy. If you can get a haveaheart trap, trapping him will be the best bet to try to get him some help. The skin condition does look like the start of Mange...usually in a healthy squirrel they can overcome this condition but with a bad leg and winter coming he will have problems. Do you deal with any Vets that are willing to treat a squirrel?? I know up in Canada that is a problem.....some will just euthinazie them...so please ASK before you take him in. There are other memember here on TSB that live in Canada....we can all pull together to help this little one.
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

See all of the forest, not just the trees

He probably has a form of mange. It can be treated topically with Revolution, if you are able to get close to him, but if not you can dose a nut with Ivermectin and give it to him twice, 10 days apart. Hopefully others here who have dosed wild squirrels will chime in -- ivermectin is a powerful drug and I don't trust myself with the calculations.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

It looks like mange. HE needs to be taken inside and helped. Can you catch him? I have meds for the mange and can take him in until he recovers or until spring. Do you have access to a Have A Heart trap? If you can catch him do youhave a cat or dog carrier you can put him in? I will pm you my info.

squirrelfriend, our Canadian Advance Rescue Team, to the rescue again!

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Squirrel Master Guest

WHOA, so many response and so fast!!! Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions and THANK YOU to Squirrelfriend for offering to help!!!! I have been trying to find help for weeks now and have felt so helpless as I know vets and human society would euthanize. I just saw the little guy outside so hopefully with some help, I can get him trapped and into the safe hands of squirrelfriend

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    He probably has a form of mange. It can be treated topically with Revolution, if you are able to get close to him, but if not you can dose a nut with Ivermectin and give it to him twice, 10 days apart. Hopefully others here who have dosed wild squirrels will chime in -- ivermectin is a powerful drug and I don't trust myself with the calculations.
    In adult rats, which are similar size [1-2 lbs], we use about the size of an uncooked grain of rice, per dose, of the oral paste.

Easy to get---just go to a feed store and buy a horse wormer tube. Costs about $10 or so. Make sure you empty the tube and stir it first.

Good luck and I hope you can catch the little sweetie.

I am going to go and try to catch him in a little while. I hope I can get him.

lilidukes Guest

Just want to wish you good luck with this one.

Got him! First try! I had to wait a while for him to show up but once he did it was easy. He is sooo crusty! Poor little thing. Don't know if it issue or female. Leg is messed up. I don't think he's a releasable. That's ok. He can have a forever home with me.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfriend
    Got him! First try! I had to wait a while for him to show up but once he did it was easy. He is sooo crusty! Poor little thing. Don't know if it issue or female. Leg is messed up. I don't think he's a releasable. That's ok. He can have a forever home with me.
    Good work SF
    I'm glad you can help this guy out...he wouldn't have made it through the winter.

Does He have mange?

lilidukes Guest

good catch!

Squirrel Master Guest

WOO HOO!!! Very happy to say that Squirrelfriend was able to catch this little guy. Thanks for everyones word of support and efforts in trying to help Crippy out! Its nice to know there are other people out there that care for these little critters!

Cheers to Squirrelfriend for her determination in catching Crippy! This little guy has been on my mind all day everyday for the past 3 weeks and I can finally relax knowing he is in good hands!!

THANKS EVERYONE

I love that name, Crippy.

YOU ROCK SQUIRRELFRIEND!!!!!!!! I'm glad you were able to catch the little squirrely - I have no doubt Crippy will be spoiled rotten. Way to go!!!!!!

Well she is washed and medicated. he as fleas, mites and TONS of lice! Unbelievable amount of lice! She is extremely crusty. I felt both legs but can't feel the break. I am itchy from treating her. Not to worry though. That will go away in a day or two. I have taken some pictures to show the crustines. When cleaning her tons of hair was comming off. The top of her head to half way down her back is bare now. I will post the pics in a few minutes.

Well she is washed and medicated. he as fleas, mites and TONS of lice! Unbelievable amount of lice! She is extremely crusty. I felt both legs but can't feel the break. I am itchy from treating her. Not to worry though. That will go away in a day or two. I have taken some pictures to show the crustines. When cleaning her tons of hair was comming off. The top of her head to half way down her back is bare now. I will post the pics in a few minutes.
    poor little one! definitely, wouldn't make it through the winter

In these pics you can't see her leg but yu can deffinitly see the crust.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I took some samples of crust and of the external parasites that I could see. I have them in a vile. I will take pics off of the microscope later today to see what I can.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.