Thread: i think he'll be alright

lp1 Guest

Default i think he'll be alright

About a week ago i rescued a baby flyer from our hosue cat. brought the cat inside and left the garage door open for the flyer to return home. i found him a couple days later, still in the garage, and decided to try to bring him up in our home, at least through the colder season here in florida, assuming he wouldnt be able to find his nest if he hadnt tried already.

im pretty sure he's between 7 and 8 weeks of age. he's been taking formula and starting to crack seeds himself. he's also jumped/glided at least 4-5 ft on his own will.

last night when i went to feed him some formula, he was very unresponsive. normally he'll be running all around my lap and up and down my arms, making small jumps from here to there. but at this time all he wanted to do was curl up in a ball in the palm of my had. he did still take to the formula well, but after a small amount began sneezing and looked almost immediately drowzy. i ended up feeding him a few eyedroppers of formula and lettign him go back to sleep.

a few hours later i went to check on him and he was the same way. i noticed on his underbelly it was moist and sweaty, and i,m not sure if his "part" looked normal or not. maybe just because the fur was wet it looked abnormal. anyhow, this time i thought i'd try just giving him some water as maybe he was dehydrated. he drank the water, but seemed to shake off and on while taking it. im not sure if the shakes were seizures as there was no foam at the mouth or any real bad convulsions. i also noticed that his body temp was low, so i added a heating pad under his cage and put him back in his nesting area.

about 3 more hours went by, and i checked on him again. he was more responsive, running up my arm a few times, but no jumping. i decided to feed him a normal size dose of half water half formula. i then put him back to his nest, keeping the heating pad on as his body temp still seemed a little lower than ususal.

So, now i'm waiting again to see if his conditions improve back to normal, or if they get worse again. Can anyone possible diagnose or give an opinion on what may have been the oringinal problem from the symptoms i described. Also, any advise on futher treatment or actions to make sure he'll be alright? We've grown quite fond of the little guy and definately dont wanna see anything horrible happen to him!

here's a picture from a week ago:

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: i think he'll be alright

I will ...pnuemonia...
    my keyboard broke..I do not have the letter after 'R'..cannot write much..I have medicine here, or take to vet..you want baytril. you can PM me, upper right hand corner.
    Liz I ee youi on, do you have medicine?
    are you near clermont?
    I will google clermont

sorry I had to blow out keyboard..I did not have S
    it worked

I would guess that he may have aspiration pnuemonia,
    if you have a vet, I would take him, he needs Anti biotics..
    baytril or SMZ-TMP...
    keep him hydrated and warm, heating pad is good, set on low, half under container!
    These guys go down hill fast...I would do somethng today/now.
    Good luck...
    IF you need vet recommendations...I think DrBurber in Eustis will see you,
    he is vet to Legomoms gang.
    Good luck

I am quite aways from Clermont, isn't that near Orlando? Anyone in that area that might have meds?

lizharrell1

Starfairy is coming to Tampa, she lives in Kissimmee, I can send meds with her...
    but hate to ask her for anymore driving favors...
    Wonder if lp1 would meet her in her town!
    lp1 if you are interested...speak up...if you have a sq friendly vet...the meds above are general and broad spectrum..
    have you seen any bugs on your sweetie?

lp1 Guest

thanks for the replies... i actually have some SMZ-TMP. my daughter has had issues with urinary tract infections and the doc prescribed us some to keep on hand in case another pops up.

it's a purple suspension formula. is this the same medicene for people as it is for animals? if so, how much and often should i give it to him?

also, are there any bad effects giving him the antibiotics say, if we misdiagnosed him and he didnt really need them?

yippe...I need the strength from the label of SMZ-TMP...
    it will not hurt flyer if not needed, but better safe than sorry, really!
    If baytril , flyer baby would need probotics to help gut flora, as the ABs destroy them, with the SMZ_TMP, i would offer yogurt in her formula, or on a small dish, soda lid! I use Dannon All Natural Vanilla, others can chime in what they think is best at this point...
    I am not a LIcensed rehabber, but have been doing sqs for many years...
    I know what I am talking about! most of the time!
    Can you tell us what formula you are feeding?
    and how you are making it?
    I have 25 plus flyers!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...+flyer+habitat
    TSB has many flyer folks, mostly at night as they are nocternal, so are the flyers!!!!
    Welcome to TSB!

lp1 Guest

the smz-tmp doesnt say what the strength is on the bottle or the paperwork that came with it. it only says 5ml twice daily for our 3 1/2 yr old daughter.

as far as formula, i've been buying the cans of esbilac. i started mixing it 1 part formula to 3 parts water. the past few days i worked my way up to 1 part water 2 parts formula. heating it up to the same temp we fed our girl when she was a baby.

The meds. are given according to the animal's weight (any way to get this?). Hopefully somebody can come on who has their refernce book handy to give you the amount you need (based on wieght). Keep the baby warm & hydrated (esp. when giving antibiotics).

How were you feeding the baby? You should use a 1cc syring to avoid aspiration (you can get them from the pharmacy).

Most people here use Fox Valley formula vs. Esbilac. You should also be introducing her to hi-quality rodent blocks once she recovers.

lp1 Guest

i dont have a scale of any sort for that little weight, but i will go pick up a syringe. ive been paying close attention while using the eyedropper and to my knowledge, so formula has been going up his nose.

i do have a shallow water dish in his cage. do you think maybe he's too young for that and has been inhaling water while drinking on his own?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.