Thread: baby squirrel found -i need help

eezzeee Guest

Default baby squirrel found -i need help

Hello I need advice--
    I adopted an orphaned squirrel - it is about 5 weeks old - I have had him for 1 week and he seemed fine, just wanted to sleep. I tried to exercize him and one of his legs is a little lathargic. I did the pinch test and he passed, he pulled away, and He will use the leg if forced, but in an open area he will walk on three legs, kinda drags the 4th. Will he heal or do I need to take him to a vet.,or give up.

any suggestions would be appreciated - Erik

Default Re: baby squirrel found -i need help

Where does he sleep, in a cage/aquarium...? When we have injured ones, we try to put them in a glass aquarium to limit movement till thier leg heals. Sometimes a limp leg can be a sign of a muscle strain not just a broken joint. As long as he is eating well, he should be ok.

What are you feeding him? If you have any questions - you can read the nutrition part of the forum - good stuff there. Have you contacted the local rehabber in your area? Any more questions.....just ask there are plenty of people willing to help here.
    You can love them, raise them and let them go.....after that, they are in mother nature's care...........Welcome to the nut house!

Home to Leroy & Lisa ... ...some just know they have it good I guess!

eezzeee Guest

He is eating very well and in a good warm box, inside a cage. he seems very healthy just the leg thing, no protruding bones or clean breaks, the leg just seems weak. I really just wanted to hear that he will make it.
    Thank you.

Chances are, he'll be fine.
    Some injuries do tale a few weeks to heal up.
    As others have mentioned, keep activity low.
    Make sure he gets a proper diet for his age.
    (which should be formula)