Thread: hibernating???!!!

Default hibernating???!!!

My gray sq Henry has become very lazy sense the cold weather has arrived.........is this normal??? he normally greets me in the mornings ready to eat.....recently he has just been sleeping alot of the time...but when i do wake him up he seems to be acting normal....? ( he is a year old now and lives inside with me )

Thanks!

Default Re: hibernating???!!!

My little boy seems to take a little longer to fully wake up and come out in the morning since the cold has made its way into Florida, but once he gets going there is no stopping him. IMO squirrels are just like people when its cold outside - we all like to stay under the covers to remain warm as long a s possible on a cold morning.

Default Re: hibernating???!!!

Henrysparents128,

Wild squirrel activity decreases significantly in winter. Squirrels here are only awake an average of about the warmest three hours in mid winter; sometimes they don't come out at all during cold days. If Henry is responding to the shortening days and colder weather, less activity is normal. Even if he's inside perhaps he can sense it's winter.
    "[T]his is a lovely world, but not an easy one." - Salten
    Field Observations | Sciuridae
    Be advised, I'm neither a rehabber nor a wildlife biologist, so don't trust me with anything important.