Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WORMS!!!!!!!

Default Re: WORMS!!!!!!!

roundworm eggs are so resistant to most stuff, even heat and cold, that the surest way to get rid of them is to burn whatever touched roundworm. For the things that cannot be burnt - boiling. Boiling water, or boil stuff in boiling water (e.g. even fabric, sheets, blankets can be boiled in water). Every time raccoons poop on my deck, I end up pouring pots and pots of boiling water on the spot, after cleaning the actual poop... that's why I insisted that the landlord do something to stop raccoons from coming here.
    Raccoons are one of the major roundworm carriers, especially, in regard to squirrels. They told me that at the Wildlife Center, and then, i read about it, too. Nasty stuff. Once larvae start traveling through bloodstream, they get to the brain, affect central nervous system and that's the end...
    Sorry for all this upsetting info, but it's good to know what we are dealing with...
    Sweet little Toby!
    So, so pray and hope, deworming was timely!

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lookmomchickens
    o.m.g. I literally had to CHOKE BACK DOWN the SPAGHETTI I had for lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad he's doing better!!
    oook don't even GO there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alex39
    I was eating my spaghetti which I don't eat often because It make me think of worms and I saw this post. Didn't finish my bowl. Anyway how did he get those worms ?
    Well, of course, there are "divers ways", but the most common way is through dirt/ground. Raccoons carry roundworms, but don't get infected themselves. The worms grow into "adulthood" in raccoons' intestines, then deposit their eggs that are passed into feces. Since squirrels dig/burrow in dirt/ground a lot, they get those eggs on their hands/food and ingest them. Ingested eggs hatch into larvae and that's the stage of no return, because larvae start traveling throughout the body, damaging internal organs, but most importantly - central nervous system. That's when you start seeing such symptoms as a squirrel losing its balance (can be confused with head trauma), behave strangely, etc etc. And once larvae are in the blood stream, there is not much that can be done. Although, miracles happen, deworming is more effective before that larvae stage.
    Another risk group are children, who play outside on the ground/dirt, then put their hands in their mouths and ingest the eggs.

The problem with the eggs is that they are resistant to a lot of disinfecting chemicals, and most environmental conditions. They can withstand heat, and do very well in severe cold. With enough moisture and warmth they can remain alive for a very long time (count years, actually). The only sure way to kill them is burning whatever came in contact with them, or boiling. Pouring boiling water, or boiling stuff in water. But, honestly , unless it is something absolutely valuable and can withstand boiling temp, it'd better be thrown out.

So, the moral of the story - wash your hands, keep everything clean, and be extra careful if there are raccoons in your area ( I have a few that keep pooping on my deck, and I am tired of boiling water all the time, and can't wait till the landlord finally does something to deter them from coming. But the people under me don't clean that poop - it's all over their deck and that's scary, not only because of the fumes, but also because there are squirrels here!)

Just wish there was a way to protect squirrels...

Squirrels are host to several species of roundworm, the raccoon roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis) is just one type -- although a particularly nasty one. I'm not sure raccoon roundworm would grow to this size in a squirrel, so I tend to think this a different species, but the vet would probably know for sure. Some roundworms are zoonose, some, not so much, but you're probably better safe than sorry when it comes to sanitation.

I hope Toby gets better.
    "[T]his is a lovely world, but not an easy one." - Salten
    Field Observations | Sciuridae
    Be advised, I'm neither a rehabber nor a wildlife biologist, so don't trust me with anything important.

momma2boo Guest

I thought organic food grade diatomaceous earth destroyed the egg. larvae, and worm because it cuts into the shell or exoskeleton of the parasite and therefore leaving it to dehydrate and die.

It may be worth looking in to. It can be sprinkled on lawns, carpets, bedding, toys ... it can even be fed to animals. Livestock is fed it all the time to keep them free of parasites.

http://www.wolfcreekranch1.tripod.co...ous_earth.html

Here is more information from another site:

Diatomaceous Earth is a substance that the roundworms like to swallow. Diatomaceaous is actually a fossilized algae that has razor-sharp edges. When swallowed, the substance’s sharp edges tear the worm apart as it passes through the worm's body. This cuts the worm from inside out, causing it to dehydrate to death. You can buy a food grade (very important) bag of diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it in your yard where it is shady. Remember that the sun will kill the worms in areas where it shines. Keep your children away from the area where the dust is sprinkled until it either rains or you hose it into the ground. It is most effective when dry. You can also sprinkle it into the carpet and floor but again, keep your children, and the dog away from it until you vacuum it up. It is breathing in the dust that is dangerous, not touching it.

Roundworm....not fun, dealt with it in my dogs, even my gliders! (And so everyone knows, when you go to a petstore to pick up supplies, you can very easily bring eggs home with you, that is why I take my shoes off as I come in my door!!) And although I didn't take a pic, a few years ago, on my 10th wedding anniversary, my dog vomited one, even longer.....it coiled up like a snake...and I almost passed out! lol (Happy Anniversary, mom! lol) I routinely worm all my critters, just to be safe. Hope the little guy feels better, soon. And you should see him gain weight now!
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    Squirrels are host to several species of roundworm, the raccoon roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis) is just one type -- although a particularly nasty one. I'm not sure raccoon roundworm would grow to this size in a squirrel, so I tend to think this a different species, but the vet would probably know for sure. Some roundworms are zoonose, some, not so much, but you're probably better safe than sorry when it comes to sanitation.

I hope Toby gets better.
    I've seen these devils and they are NATSY looking. The 'coons that come in are dewormed on arrival but there is always the danger of tracking so there is a pan of 'Parvo' to step in and scrub the soles of our shoes when ever we go on and out of certain areas.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by momma2boo
    I thought organic food grade diatomaceous earth destroyed the egg. larvae, and worm because it cuts into the shell or exoskeleton of the parasite and therefore leaving it to dehydrate and die.

It may be worth looking in to. It can be sprinkled on lawns, carpets, bedding, toys ... it can even be fed to animals. Livestock is fed it all the time to keep them free of parasites.

http://www.wolfcreekranch1.tripod.co...ous_earth.html
    This is not new...heard about this long ago and stored in a dusty memory bank...i have heard it's effective...thanks ...good info!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    I think it is the same. I had won pooh out a 12 inch round worm. Took it to the vets and that's what it was! A round worm.
    I sure hop Toby is feeling better soon.

Well, from what it looks like it sounds a lot like Baylisascaris procyonis roundworm type (of course, vet. tests will determine the type for sure). If I remeber it correctly, roundworms comprise about 12,000 species (or smth like that). There are free-living rw and parasitic ones. Typically, free living are small, and some are invisible to an unaided eye, or very, very difficult to notice.
    Parasitic ones, however, are usually large. Another type of the larger common parasititc rw, Ascaris, is usually about 8" long, and it looks like this one is shorter than that (although, it's hard to tell from the picutre). And it's not common to squirrels

Whatever the exact roundworm type this is, since it's been adversly affecting Toby (e.g., always hungry and skinny despite all the foods he's been eating) and is large, it is obviously not the 'benign', free-living type, but a parasitic one, unfortunately. The most common parasitic rw found in squirrels is B.p. Squirrels are considered abnormal hosts to it, while raccoons are the definitive hosts.
    Actually, as I've been trying to find more info on squirrel parasites (kind of hard to find - so little seems to be known about them), so far squirrels are listed mostly in association with the raccoon roundworm. The same info I got from the Wildlife Centre. I also found an excellent table form Michigan Wildlife with all common parasitic worms, including rw and their hosts (definitive and abnormal) listed, and squirrels were listed only as abnormal hosts to rw. Very interesting. http://www.michigan.gov/images/RNDWMTBL_19494_7.gif

So, Peter, would you be able to refer me to sources/books where I could learn more about this stuff?... As I mentioned, I am having a hard time finding good scientific informative sources and will appreciate any links/refernces. And I would like to learn more.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by astra
    So, Peter, would you be able to refer me to sources/books where I could learn more about this stuff?... As I mentioned, I am having a hard time finding good scientific informative sources and will appreciate any links/refernces. And I would like to learn more.
    Thanks!
    Yeah, this stuff can be hard to find.

While a little self-promoting , here's an excerpt from the book I'm writing, although I'm focusing on the fox squirrels, some is the same for the gray as well. (S. n. something is just a fox squirrel subspecies).

The Fox Squirrel (Sciurus niger) Book

Racoon Roundworm (Baylisascaris procyonis) [Zoonose]

Raccoons are the primary host of B. procyonis, which in its adult stage, lines the walls of the raccoon's small intestines (Sameul, 2001). The worms shed hundreds of thousand of eggs a day into the raccoon's feces, and can remain infective for years after the raccoons defecate at latrine sites, often near or on trees or logs (Sameul, 2001).

The fox squirrel, among other small prey animals, is an intermediate host of B. procyonis, and once they ingest the eggs, the larva hatch in the small intestines, but rather than remain there as they do in the raccoon, the larva migrate throughout the squirrel's body (Sameul, 2001). When the larvae enter the central nervous system, neurological symptoms develop, such as arching of the head, body tilts, circling, and so forth (Sameul, 2001). Coma and death may follow (Sameul, 2001).

Because B. procyonis migrates through the body of intermediate hosts, the moribund or dead host is especially infective for the scavenging raccoon. B. procyonis is often associated with raccoons, and infected fox squirrels have been found in Indiana and California (Sameul, 2001).

Acanthocephala Worm (Moniliformis clarki)

Seven Moniliformis clarki were found in one S. n. shermani (n=87) in Florida, and none of the 32 S. n. avicennia were infested (Coyner, 1996).

Tape Worm (Raillietina bakeri)

An average of five Moniliformis clarki were found in 32% of S. n. shermani (n=87) in Florida, but none of the 32 S. n. avicennia were infested (Coyner, 1996).

Parasitic Roundworms

In Florida, of 87 S. n. shermani and 32 S. n. avecinne surveyed, the animals had the following nematodes. The chart also indicates prevalence percentage (%), average count (A), and intensity range (I) of the nematodes.

Nematode S. n. shermani S. n. avicennia
    % A I % A I
    Strongyloides robustus 76 58 1-518 09 07 6-10
    Heligmodendrium hassalli 49 21 1-068 09 21 7-64
    Citellinema bifurcatum 39 34 1-177 03 33 33
    Dipetalonema interstitium 04 02 1-003 00 00 0
    Physaloptera massion 03 18 6-043 00 00 0
    Syphacia thompsoni 03 04 1-006 00 00 0
    Gongylonema pulchrum 02 02 2 00 00 0
    Trichostrongylus calcaratus 02 14 1-026 03 01 1
    Bohmiella wilsoni 01 03 3 03 03 3
    (Coyner, 1996)

Wild Mammals of North America has a complete list for fox and gray squirrels, and Google books has it, so you can look online. Here's a link. See page 258-259.

Good luck with Toby, NutmegsMommy.
    Be advised, I'm neither a rehabber nor a wildlife biologist, so don't trust me with anything important.

Are there any other symptoms of a squirrel having round worm other than wieght loss or lack of wieght gain? Mine ore on the chunky monkey side at this time.

I am sure a fecal done at the vet would pick it up (or does it always?) but that would mean me taking my fuzzers in for the fecal often I think? They have not seen the vet for 8 months or so.

Their outdoor cage has wire that extends 4 feet into the ground to protect against most all pray but they play in and dig and eat the dirt in there all the time. Oh my

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Brady
    Are there any other symptoms of a squirrel having round worm other than wieght loss or lack of wieght gain? Mine ore on the chunky monkey side at this time.
    If I remember correctly along with anemia and, of course, passing worms, the worms may also cause loss of appetite, diarrhea, blood in stools, and in severe cases obstructed bowel. The neurological symptoms (head tilts, etc.) are specific to raccoon roundworm.

Thank you Peter,

The link to the book you posted is awesome. What a great bunch of info in that book.
    Please let us all know when your book comes out. I will be sure to purchase one!
    Sorry to thread Jack all.

I have seen round worm cause both weight loss, and actually had others that were overweight then loose the excess weight after being wormed, go figure! (This was a sugar glider.) And to truly 'catch' the shedding cycle, the best way is to take in a fecal sample every day for five days (they shed every 5-7 days, so my vet suggests to get a definite 'negative', this is the best way to try to ensure it. Seems extreme but when you have issues and need to know for sure, it works.) If you have a catch pan, clean the cage, and then take some from the night. If you have others in the cage, they would all need to be wormed if one has it anyway and the more to work with, the better sample they will have to use.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

mpetys Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegsMommy
    Hey Jackie,

I'm near USF - I can meet you out that way (where you suggested) if there isn't a closer place. I'm getting ready to leave now to go to the vet to get Toby checked and get a subq going - he needs fluids. I will call you when I get back and let you know what time, etc... Thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much.

Talk to you soon.
    Hi NutmegsMommy,

I wish I had seen this thread yesterday. I am near USF. Are you familiar with Hwy 301 and Harney Road? Busch blvd heading east becomes Harney Road. I am within walking distance of 301 and Harney. Keep me in mind in case an emergency comes up in future. I always try to keep at least one unopened bag of formula on hand. I'm glad Jackie was able to help you.

Michele in Tampa

Toby says, "Thank You sooooooooooooo much Aunt Jackie for the yummy Fox Valley!!!" When I got home I made him up a batch and he was sooooo cute. He curled up into a little ball, then took the syringe and slurped that formula down like it was ice cream I should have gotten a picture of him while he was eating - it was adorable.

K - well I'm off to bed. Gotta get up early tomorrow and run Toby to his regular vet for a follow up on his treatment that he's been on prior to the worm incident - I'm stilll gagging over it - hee hee.

I'll post an update tomorrow.

Just a quick check if there was any news.

It took some time to get to the vet this AM because there was a horrible accident on the way and we were diverted on some back roads. We did make it though Toby got his sores cleaned out again and he was put on a different antibiotic to treat the sores. In the meantime, he is still on the dewormer and the med for coccidia and he's sucking down the Fox Valley, along with some nuts and fruits. I just gave him a pine cone to nibble on, which he has been checking out.

I spoke with the vet and was told that if I washed the blankets Toby used in hot water, I would be fine to keep them. I really had no choice because they were accidentally put in with other laundry. I have washed the entire bundle twice in hot water with a ton of soap and put them through the dryer. Is this good enough?

You know what....nevermind. I'm just gonna chuck it all in the trash. I don't want to take the chance. Plus, it gives me a good excuse to go buy some new towels anyway. Thanks Toby!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast