Thread: Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

momma2boo Guest

Default Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Please read this website and do your own investigation on OEVCO. It really is a good saturated fat ... good for our squirrels and their humans too! I know we have been lead to believe that ALL saturated fats are bad, but that simply isn't the case.

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/cocgood.html

Based on my husband's text book, "Staying Healthy with Nutrition, 21st Century Edition";

Coconut milk is mainly derived from green coconuts (unripened). The oil comes from the meat. 65% of the meat contains the oil. At room temperature it is solid or semi-solid but as it warms it liquifies. It contains the essential fatty acids and nutrients such as the B vitamins, C, & E and several minerals (potassium, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, & trace minerals). There is about 10% protein and several phyto nutrients.

Don't take my word for it ... do your research and draw your own conclusions. Personally, my mind is made up.

To your health!
    Julie, et al.

Default Re: Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

It is really good on the skin, too. I wash my face and while it is still wet, I rub a small amount of the coconut oil on it. It actually soaks in and doesn't leave you greasy looking (unless you use too much).

I also add it to my body moisturizer.

Yes, coconut oil is worth all the attention.

Coconut Oil (extra-virgin, unrefined, organic etc) is excellent! It's a good kind of sat. fat (it's too long to explain here, but it's medium-chained vs. long- or short-chained fatty acids - really, too long and too technical). But it is excellent! Its absorption by our body works a bit different from the way we metabolize other fats. It is highly recommended for athletes, both professional and recreational - helps with muscle growth, post-work out recovery, provides immediate energy etc etc)

It possesses excellent antimicrobial and antiviral properties. Improves metabolism. Its concentration of lauric acid is very close to breast milk.
    Although, there is not FDA suggested daily dose of coconut oil, as a guideline coconut oil experts recommend 2-3 tbsp, which will provide about 10-20 gr of lauric acid ( it's about 7gr of lauric acid per 1 tbsp of oil).

It's very likely that squirrels can benefit from antiviral and antimicrobial properties of c. oil, as well as its many other healthful qualities.

P.S. I've read that some "squirrel-oriented" people include it as an ingredient for their blocks with success.
    P.P.S.S. a small amount of sat. fats in general is, actually, needed for humans, too.

momma2boo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by astra
    Yes, coconut oil is worth all the attention.

Coconut Oil (extra-virgin, unrefined, organic etc) is excellent! It's a good kind of sat. fat (it's too long to explain here, but it's medium-chained vs. long- or short-chained fatty acids - really, too long and too technical). But it is excellent! Its absorption by our body works a bit different from the way we metabolize other fats. It is highly recommended for athletes, both professional and recreational - helps with muscle growth, post-work out recovery, provides immediate energy etc etc)

It possesses excellent antimicrobial and antiviral properties. Improves metabolism. Its concentration of lauric acid is very close to breast milk.
    Although, there is not FDA suggested daily dose of coconut oil, as a guideline coconut oil experts recommend 2-3 tbsp, which will provide about 10-20 gr of lauric acid ( it's about 7gr of lauric acid per 1 tbsp of oil).

It's very likely that squirrels can benefit from antiviral and antimicrobial properties of c. oil, as well as its many other healthful qualities.

P.S. I've read that some "squirrel-oriented" people include it as an ingredient for their blocks with success.
    P.P.S.S. a small amount of sat. fats in general is, actually, needed for humans, too.
    Nice job! You are SPOT on! And I do include it in my nutball. It was because of this addition to my nutball (Boo-ball) that Meg's tail fur came back in. For whatever reason (hormonal according to the vet) it became thin to the extreme of almost being bare except to the tip of the tail. It is now just simply beautiful.

I am a firm believer in the stuff. Thanks Astra for ellaborating on my post.

Quote Originally Posted by momma2boo
    I am a firm believer in the stuff. Thanks Astra for ellaborating on my post.
    My pleasure! So am I.

Members who have read this thread: 2