Thread: What Do I feed my 3 week old baby Squirrel to get rid of diarrhea & helps gain weight

CorleyH Guest

Default What Do I feed my 3 week old baby Squirrel to get rid of diarrhea & helps gain weight

I've had this baby for about two weeks now and I've had him on esbilac powder formula. He got pneumonia so i put him on antibiotics, which gave him diarrhea. I then started giving him pedilyte first, then feeding formula. He hasn't been gaining weight really. What Can I give him to stop diarrhea and help him gain weight? Will yogurt help? I read it restores natural bacteria and is good for helping diarrhea.

Kristal Guest

Default Re: What Do I feed my 3 week old baby Squirrel to get rid of diarrhea & helps gain weight

Most of the rehabbers seem to advise against esbilac. It is not so good for squirrels. There is an excellent formula from an old style company that makes everything themselves and in small batches. This one is for four weeks and older
    http://foxvalleynutrition.com/prod/d...p?CID=3&PLID=1
    but I know some people just give the one for babies right up until weaning
    http://foxvalleynutrition.com/prod/d...p?CID=1&PLID=1
    I am using it, and I can tell you that it is great. Coats are thick and shiny and no digestive problems. They love it, too.

For diarrhea, yes, yoghurt can help. But read the ingredients carefully. You do NOT want something that is congealed with chemical additives. Find a brand with just milk, flavour (vanilla is ok, but plain would probably be better) and bacterial culture in the ingredients. If it is organic, so much the better. We have an excellent company called liberté here. I think danon has been recommended for the US, but read that ingredient list!

Get him on fox valley ASAP. It is cheaper than esbilac, and it is vastly better. I am not an expert, but I think you should be doing rehydration for chronic diarrhea. Perhaps cut the full formula feeding a bit and add some yoghurt to the pedialyte. This should allow the good bacteria to populate the intestines. It is better if you give yogurt to a relatively empty digestive system. Try that for a few days while you wait for the fox valley to come in the mail would be my not-an-expert advice.

Default Re: What Do I feed my 3 week old baby Squirrel to get rid of diarrhea & helps gain weight

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Kristal Guest

Aww, shucks, Thanks

CorleyH Guest

Great I will definitely do that. I can't even find esbilac in most pet stores anyways. Thanks so much

mpetys Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CorleyH
    Great I will definitely do that. I can't even find esbilac in most pet stores anyways. Thanks so much
    You can also order the Fox Valley formula from www.henryspets.com. They are located in Melbourne, FL so you may get it quicker. When I order from them, they send it in priority mail envelope so Florida to Florida should be just a day or two. You may want to call them to verify that they have it in stock and can send it out right away!

I had experience with Ebsilac formula this past January. I had four babies and fed them Ebsilac. That was before I found this board. They went downhill. Could not maintain hydration or body heat. Were bloated as well. I lost one and then found a rehabber who told me to order the Fox Valley. I ordered and had them ship it overnight. The next morning two more died. When my Fox Valley formula arrived later that morning, I really thought it was too late for the fourth one. But I proceeded to work on keeping him hyrdrated and introduced the Fox Valley formula to him slowly. His name is MonkeyButt and he is 7 1/2 months old right now. I had planned on releasing the four when I first got them, but after all I went through to keep MonkeyButt alive, I have kept him. If he ever wilds up, I will release him but for now, I am owned by a squirrel.

What part of Florida are you in?

Michele in Tampa

CorleyH Guest

I'm in Orlando, I might order that then, if it comes quicker. I've had the same problems with esbilac, he was bloated when on the full formula, and he hasn't gained much weight. He's active, but he doesn't look as healthy as he could be.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.