Thread: Injured Squirrel Very Sick

Default Injured Squirrel Very Sick

Hey All - and Jackie (this is the follow up to our phone convo),

A sick injured squirrel (which I named Snickerdoodle) made his way into my yard today - he has a nasty sore on his side and a what appears to be a broken right front paw. He also has an injury on the other side, but it appears to have healed over. As the day went on I observed him and noticed he was getting weaker by the hour. He was initially eating some peanuts, but then began to fall asleep mid-chew.

After a few attempts to catch him - I finally had success and got him w/o issue into a cage - so the stress was not as bad as it could have been. I immediately covered the cage with a blanket and put him in a dark room for 1 hour. I then placed some rescue remedy onto a cotton ball and set it near him so he could smell it. I knew he needed some antibiotics ASAP - he has a nasty smellling sore on his side - it smells like death. Because he is weak, I was able to administer the Baytril orally, liquid banana flavored. He sucked it right down without trying to fight or bite - Thank God. I also got a small amount of sugar water into him too.

I then took some Benedine and flushed out the wound as best I could while he sat in the cage - I did not want to move him around too much- I then packed it with neosporin. He let me pet him on the head and I talked to him for a minute or too to try and comfort him while I rubbed Rescue Remedy on his ears and the bottoms of his two back feet. I then placed a rice buddy beside him, which I warmed up in the micro - put a heating pad on low underneath the cage for warmth on 1/2 of the cage so he can move to a cool side if it gets to hot.

About an hour later I went in and fed him 2 tsps of Fox Valley Formula - I prepared 4, but could only get 2 into him. He lapped it up, slowly -I did not want to force more into him and cause an aspiration. He has peed and pooed - not sure if that's a good sign or a bad one - I know sometimes they empty out before they pass away.

In about 2 hours I will go back in and try to get some more food into him and then get him to my vet ASAP in the AM. In the meantime, is there anything more I should be doing? Should I try and feed him throughout the night or let him rest?

Default Re: Injured Squirrel Very Sick

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegsMommy
    Should I try and feed him throughout the night or let him rest?
    How is his weight? Is he very thin? Does he seem dehydrated?
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Weight looks ok - he's not skinny. It's possible he could be a little dehydrated - that's why I thought the Fox Valley would be a good thing - nutrients and fluids. I didn't want to force it down. I could subque - but I wasn't sure how much and if I even should because I don't want to stress him out.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

SHould I subque Jackie? And if so, how much?

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegsMommy
    Weight looks ok - he's not skinny. It's possible he could be a little dehydrated - that's why I thought the Fox Valley would be a good thing - nutrients and fluids. I didn't want to force it down. I could subque - but I wasn't sure how much and if I even should because I don't want to stress him out.
    A little diluted fruit juice and/or Fox Valley can't hurt, but you're right, rest is the thing right now unless he's desperately starved. You could also leave a few pieces of fruit near his head so he can eat them on his own if he wants. Sounds like the infection is his main problem right now. Can't you get ABs tonight?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize Jackie was here. You should follow her advice.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

The only problem is he ate a small amount of Fox Valley so I don't want to force fluids down his throat - that's why I thought subque might be the way to go

Ok - spoke to a fellow rehabber across the way and she told me to subque 3ml's which we just did - he moved off of the area where the heating pad is, so I have turned it off for now.

I'm going to subque again at 1AM but in the meantime I'm not sure if I should give him more Fox Valley or not. I don't want to stress him out - what I did notice when I did the subque is there wasn't much to work with - he looks normal skinny, not sick skinny. I was able to give him the hump of fluids. Should I feed him again or let him rest and subque at 1AM?

Also - I was doing some research and I think what he has is a bot fly infection - it fits - the appearance of the sore, the smell - it so gross. I think his broken paw is a seperate matter.

Advice on the feed - should I or shouldn't I?

It really depends on the babies level of dehydration.

How old is this squirrel?

He looks to be about a year, maybe 11 months. I just checked on him and he's curled up into a ball with his tail pulled up to the front of his body like he's snuggling.

Smile Re: Injured Squirrel Very Sick

UPDATE:

Snickerdoodle made it through the night I was able to subque a few more times, and got some more Baytril in him this morning before taking him up to see a vet in Hudson - She's awesome and really cares about squirrels.

As for right now, Snickerdoodle is receiving fluids and is having his wound debrided and some other things. It looks like I was right - it's a nasty bot fly infection. Please keep him in your prayers that he pulls through. I am supposed to go back at 6pm to pick him up.

I'll keep you posted -

Nutmeg's Mommy

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

sending good vibes

Ok - after a good thorough cleaning it looks like it's not Bot afterall, but some nasty wounds that became abcessed. Snickerdoodle is home now, he's getting subqued every 2 hrs, he's on med's for the infection and for coccidia. He's also getting sugar water too - and cleansing of his wounds 2x day. He's sleeping right now under a pillowcase, he burrowed in it, half on the heating pad, half off. He's a little mad at me for getting him the backside with the needle to subque. He bit 2 techs today, so I'm doing my best not to become victim #3.

Please keep him in your prayers. The next 48hrs are the make it or break it zone. He's a little fighter, so let's pray that he keeps on fighting (just no biting - hee hee)