Thread: My squirrel is having Seizures

Zyrex Guest

Unhappy My squirrel is having Seizures

My squirrel was fine up until Friday, he is eating and drinking but is now having mini seizures. He is shaking violently and his right side is droopy. He is showing loss of control of his back legs, he is having trouble walking. What can I do?

Default Re: My squirrel is having Seizures

How old is he and does he eat a rodent block of any kind?

Zyrex Guest

he is about 6 weeks old and no he has not eaten anything other than his formula
    Goats milk with heavy cream and vanilla yogurt in the mix that Jackie recommended.i have had him for a week and all was well up till this morning
    or should i say till about 11:30 when i noticed he was not moving right.he has never been aspirated and had a great apitie.This is very sudden.

Seizures can really deplete them. Can you rub something sweet like pancake syrup or karo or molasses right on his gums? Or mix it with a little water and syringe it into his mouth?

Zyrex Guest

i have been giving him sugar water.but hes not doing well at all

I'm so sorry - I have no idea what may have caused this, If he were mine I would make sure he is nice and warm and would continue dribbling the sugar water in...

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    I'm so sorry - I have no idea what may have caused this, If he were mine I would make sure he is nice and warm and would continue dribbling the sugar water in...
    I had a squirrel come with seizures and vomiting. I gave her SMZ-TMP along with Pyrantel pamoate/praziquantel. It turned out she had tapeworms. the seizures were quite severe however. She eliminated, quivered and then went stiff, arched back, kicking hind legs. she was exhausted afterwards.
    We suspect it was caused by internal blood loss or hypovolemic shock
    Is there any way you can get this baby to a rehabber ASAP?

mugzeezma Guest

I'm also wondering if this could be raccoon roundworm. Pretty serious stuff.
    Either way be careful of fecal contamination with you other animals.
    Do you still have Pockets?

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

molasses on the gums is best..and warmth
    seizures deplete brain calcium.
    thinking previous head injury..
    do you have a history on him?
    was he found on concrete?
    Goats milk is great, not that!
    Plenty of calcium in that formula...
    can we get a pic?

Zyrex Guest

Unhappy Re: My squirrel is having Seizures

Well im sorry to say he has passed.RIP Benny.All i know is he was never doped or even banged around.This was very sudden and got progressively worst as the day went on.I tried dribbling sugar water which he did drink he even eat some but this is still very confusing as when i put him to bed the night before he was fine even at breakfast time it started very out of the blue with no real reason.I just broke my heart to see him have seizures and not knowing how to help.Well it was around 1 am when he passed he went quiet while i held him.My only solace was knowing i was there for him .

I am so sorry. The injuries they recieve from the initial fall from the tree can take a while to show up sometimes.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    I am so sorry. The injuries they recieve from the initial fall from the tree can take a while to show up sometimes.
    Is it 10 days to 2 weeks? How long did you have this baby?
    Parasitic infections can do some pretty weird things as well
    I am so sorry ....
    It's awful seeing them seize
    Just awful

Zyrex Guest

Benny was brought to my last Monday my guess he was about 4 maybe 5 weeks old.

mugzeezma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrex
    Benny was brought to my last Monday my guess he was about 4 maybe 5 weeks old.
    So hard to tell without a necropsy. I so glad you were able to give him comfort and an easier passage. All life is sacred.

Unhappy Re: My squirrel is having Seizures

Last season we lost 1/2 of our babies before we were able to have one evaluated after they passed. Our re-habber now treats every one that we get with a parasitic treatment. We also do not cross feed groups anymore to keep down cross-contamination. You feel so helpless when it happens. Hopefully the baby was not in contact with any others. If they were - you may want to treat them to be safe. Sorry to hear about it.......my wife and girls feel the losses each time.
    You can love them, raise them and let them go.....after that, they are in mother nature's care...........Welcome to the nut house!

Home to Leroy & Lisa ... ...some just know they have it good I guess!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.