Thread: Bot Fly infection- Warning graphic pictures

Default Bot Fly infection- Warning graphic pictures

I get this call about a "messed" up squirrel, He was found in a feed barrel. He has had numerous bot flies with at least 5-6 holes/marks from previous bot fly and I pulled three more out. He is missing hair on half his body and he smells from the necrosis of the tissue in his face. You can see a white tissue in his face and I realized it is his facial muscle, dead. He has puss seeping from both sides of his face and I know he does not deserve this but needed to vent. I am so grossed out. I was a medic for 9 years and this is THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN AND DEALT WITH!!! WTF! Geez God give the poor guy a break! I am going to have him put down tomorrow at the vets, no living creature deserves this. Poor baby.

Just the freaking icing on my cake because I found Marty dead today! He stopped eating yesterday but bit me 2 days ago. I put him in an isolated room since he had been beside my bed since I got him. He was doing soooo great, I am heart broken, grossed out, and my freaking fibromyalgia is killing me.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Default Re: Bot Fly infection- Warning graphic pictures

You can see from the bottom right picture the bot fly that I had to remove from his jaw line.

Kristal Guest

Poor sweetie So sad... are you sure you could not nurse him back? I have seen animals bounce back from some really awful states...

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

I am sorry about Marty...I know it's a hard loss...to try so hard...bless you both for trying.
    I too am going to the vet this morning...we had a rough night with a very serious broken neck injury, it's going to bother me all day, and probably then some.
    Thank you for helping these guys...it's the tough cases that make our passion what it is Heather...
    I hope we both can go hug our healthy babies and realize that we have to make these choices for the squirrels.
    Your little bot boy is beautiful...thank you
    Run free Marty...

Hugs to you and Marty. I'm so sorry he passed away and hope that he's running free in a world of acorns and happiness...poor little fella!

Isn't it amazing how such a tiny creature can steal our entire heart? Squirrel love is AWESOME! Joanne in Jax FL.

I'm so sorry...poor little thing. My heart goes out to him, again I am so sorry

So sorry that you're going through this. I see it in the baby skunks every year, and it's terrible. You would think that it would be impossible to gross any of us out at this point, yet it still happens. Don't feel bad about being grossed...it is disgusting, and so sad. I will never understand how modern science can remove all of the seeds from watermelons, yet can't seem to figure out how to rid the world of fleas, ticks, mites, maggots, and bot flies.

Thank God half of the animals we rehab happen to eat a ton of bugs each season. Take care, hang in there.

Poor Marty, sweet little soul... now he is free from pain and all that he had to suffer in his short life...but it's such a painful loss for you...

Unhappy Re: Bot Fly infection- Warning graphic pictures

That poor baby.........It is hard to heal the ones with those kind of injuries. Our Boo was with us for 9 months after she broke her back. My kids cried when she died.
    You can love them, raise them and let them go.....after that, they are in mother nature's care...........Welcome to the nut house!

Home to Leroy & Lisa ... ...some just know they have it good I guess!