Thread: I cured the wrinkles.. Heating Pad Warning!

Default I cured the wrinkles.. Heating Pad Warning!

You guys probably already knew this, but I feel the need to share just to be clear on it. My Jambee has been wrinkly since the day after I found him. The vet stupidly put my fears to rest by saying "His just making room to grow." Needless to say I will be finding him a new vet even if I have to drive out of town. He wasn't dehydrated on the inside, but his skin was!!

After a few days of no improvement or any after being 100% FV and 0% Esbalic my fears about his skin were back.

First thing that pops into my mind is he is dehydrated even though the skin between the blades snaps back in place. He can not be that wrinkly and NOT be some form of dehydrated. So, I cut the formula and go back to doing the home form of pedialite (sp) I fed him 1cc of it an hour with no change, (him being on his heating pad between hours)

Welp I start running through things I need to do. I know I have to fix this problem fast, or get on here to find him someone who can IV the H20 to him!!

For some reason or another the heating pad just starts jumping out at me. I had a very thick plastic container so I had kept the pad inside it, a thick cover resting between him and the pad. Thinking it would be okay.

How retarded am I?

I start doing research and only find that you guys say it should be kept under the container in case of it messing up/over heating baby but nothing about it making him/his skin (possibly both) dehydrated. I look at other sites (Very little stuff out there when it comes to sqs!) But I see that this could be the case when it says that it can cause dogs/cats/even humans to become dehydrated. I remove the pad and find another container that isn't as thick (My husband is going to be mad when he finds out all his painting stuff no longer has a home) I put the pad under it and give Jambee another round of watered down formula.

I seen change with in 30mins.

Don't be stupid (like me and that silly vet) and think it'll be okay if you use a thick cover between him and the pad it isn't enough.

I feel horrible and stupid.
    I'm not a mother, but I'm pretty sure Jambee is the closest I've ever been to being one. My love for him is endless.

Default Re: I cured the wrinkles.. Heating Pad Warning!

I did the same thing with Littlefoot at first because I was so scared the heat wouldn't get through to him well enough, he was a big ol wrinkly baby too
    Then I realized that since he was able to get out of his box ( he was inside a little shoebox,inside a cat carrier) that there was potential for him to also burrow himself to the heating pad and burn himself so I changed that out fast

I bought a little digital room thermometer, they aren't very expensive but the probe end can be put next to baby to make sure he isn't getting too hot or too cold

If you have a meat thermometer, that will work, too. I used the one I have that has a remote temp probe.

I am glad he is doing better now. If you want to add fluids, give them between feedings, but keep the feeding times constant.

I have a question. I don't sleep on a heating pad. Do you know how to get rid of my wrinkles?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    If you have a meat thermometer, that will work, too. I used the one I have that has a remote temp probe.

I am glad he is doing better now. If you want to add fluids, give them between feedings, but keep the feeding times constant.

I have a question. I don't sleep on a heating pad. Do you know how to get rid of my wrinkles?

hahahaha! I'll try to find out how! I'm not sure that will happen though! It took me 10 days to convince myself that the vet was stupid and something was wrong. I don't think I'll be getting rid of anyone but Jambee's wrinkles, but Jambee seems to be set on giving me a few of my own!
    I'm not a mother, but I'm pretty sure Jambee is the closest I've ever been to being one. My love for him is endless.

When I raised Fallen I used a Reptile Lamp with Ceramic Bulb with a Zilla Temperature Controller: http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supp...ers/108340.asp. I just put a hole at the top of the lid, I think in the middle of the lid, and put the temperature reading device there. I controlled the temperature of his housing. It also heated the outside temp around his housing also so there was never a draft. I used the heating pad to turn on roll, a blanket up before a feeding so he was always cozy at the same temp. I never had a issue with his skin wrinkling or his skin peeling etc. with this method. This was important to me because I was caring for him in March when it was still cold outside.

Put your hair up in a really really tight pony tail on top of your head, sort of like a palm tree. This pulls all the wrinkles up, and also has the extra benefit of giving you perky boobs and a permanent smile.

muffinsquirrel
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

That's some tight ponytail!

And what kind of probing do we do with the meat thermometer? Rectal probe? I don't think my babies would stand for that!

Isn't it amazing how such a tiny creature can steal our entire heart? Squirrel love is AWESOME! Joanne in Jax FL.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelLove
    And what kind of probing do we do with the meat thermometer? Rectal probe? I don't think my babies would stand for that!

No, lol... just to lay in the cage with it to keep the temp under control.

taz42018 Guest

It's good reminder and let's just say your not the only one to ever make that mistake. I'm glad your little one is doing good now.

If you are serious about heat management, I CANNOT recommend herpstat enough.

They're made to regulate temps in snake enclosures, but they work with heating pads, too.

http://www.spyderrobotics.com/

They cost, but they're worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelLove
    If your thermostat has a long cord, then yes. You can also modify the lenght of the cord by splicing bits of wire in between.....

Let us know how that works out. lol

lilbrndg Guest

Hi, newbie here in Georgia, with a heating pad question. Apologies if it is addressed elsewhere on the board.

Is there an age, or a state of development when my squirrel boy no longer needs the heating pad during the day? I use it at feeding, and at night, (his cage is on our back porch), but I worry that he could overheat during these hot Georgia afternoons : /

He is fully furred, though still skinny tailed, has his lower teeth, with the uppers coming in, and is approximately 5 to 5 1/2 weeks old. While I am here ; P - when might his bathroom business consistently take care of itself? I always make sure he is emptied out before he eats, and then we do another once over after his feeding, but while I have occasionally found stools in his hammock, and have seen some wetting on his blankets, I worry about him overfilling, or getting backed up so to speak : /

Thanks much in advance
    ASquirrelieMom

lilbrndg Guest

Hello again,
    This time to say what a GREAT site you all have, because after just a little searching, I have found answers to both of my questions, and discovered answers to questions I didn't even have yet ; }

Thank you all so much!
    ASquirrelieMom
    OnTheGeorgiaCoast

Quote Originally Posted by lilbrndg
    Hello again,
    This time to say what a GREAT site you all have, because after just a little searching, I have found answers to both of my questions, and discovered answers to questions I didn't even have yet ; }

Thank you all so much!
    ASquirrelieMom
    OnTheGeorgiaCoast
    I'm sure CM -edit CritterMom (C M) - filters to dancing santas???? (that's pure comedy) and IR will jump on my ass and beat me for this, but at that age, I'd have it indoors.

That sounds like a 4 week old Eastern grey to me. When I got mine, it was furred, and had upper teeth half coming in. I suppose mine was about 5 weeks old.

I <3 controlled conditions. IDK if you're planning on releasing it, and I'm leaving it up to the squirrel to decide if it wants to be released. Mine is kept indoors, on half of a heating pad, still. Following the best practices that I've been taught here as best I can (henry's blocks have to wait till next pay day but she's eating healthy)

I don't know if what I'm doing is condusive to releasing it, probably not. We're pretty bonded already.

It's up to you and your squirrel's goals.

GO YOU!