Thread: I cured the wrinkles.. Heating Pad Warning!

Hybrid View

Default Re: I cured the wrinkles.. Heating Pad Warning!

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelLove
    And what kind of probing do we do with the meat thermometer? Rectal probe? I don't think my babies would stand for that!
    If your thermostat has a long cord, then yes. You can also modify the lenght of the cord by splicing bits of wire in between.....

Let us know how that works out. lol

lilbrndg Guest

Hi, newbie here in Georgia, with a heating pad question. Apologies if it is addressed elsewhere on the board.

Is there an age, or a state of development when my squirrel boy no longer needs the heating pad during the day? I use it at feeding, and at night, (his cage is on our back porch), but I worry that he could overheat during these hot Georgia afternoons : /

He is fully furred, though still skinny tailed, has his lower teeth, with the uppers coming in, and is approximately 5 to 5 1/2 weeks old. While I am here ; P - when might his bathroom business consistently take care of itself? I always make sure he is emptied out before he eats, and then we do another once over after his feeding, but while I have occasionally found stools in his hammock, and have seen some wetting on his blankets, I worry about him overfilling, or getting backed up so to speak : /

Thanks much in advance
    ASquirrelieMom

lilbrndg Guest

Hello again,
    This time to say what a GREAT site you all have, because after just a little searching, I have found answers to both of my questions, and discovered answers to questions I didn't even have yet ; }

Thank you all so much!
    ASquirrelieMom
    OnTheGeorgiaCoast

Quote Originally Posted by lilbrndg
    Hello again,
    This time to say what a GREAT site you all have, because after just a little searching, I have found answers to both of my questions, and discovered answers to questions I didn't even have yet ; }

Thank you all so much!
    ASquirrelieMom
    OnTheGeorgiaCoast
    I'm sure CM -edit CritterMom (C M) - filters to dancing santas???? (that's pure comedy) and IR will jump on my ass and beat me for this, but at that age, I'd have it indoors.

That sounds like a 4 week old Eastern grey to me. When I got mine, it was furred, and had upper teeth half coming in. I suppose mine was about 5 weeks old.

I <3 controlled conditions. IDK if you're planning on releasing it, and I'm leaving it up to the squirrel to decide if it wants to be released. Mine is kept indoors, on half of a heating pad, still. Following the best practices that I've been taught here as best I can (henry's blocks have to wait till next pay day but she's eating healthy)

I don't know if what I'm doing is condusive to releasing it, probably not. We're pretty bonded already.

It's up to you and your squirrel's goals.

GO YOU!