Thread: Need Fox Valley formula and antibiotics!!!

Rainy9 Guest

Default Need Fox Valley formula and antibiotics!!!

I've got a pair of two week old femal squirrels...today will be six days that they've been in my care. Started them on pedialyte and then esbilac. Both weigh around 25 grams. Been feeding them 1 to 1.25 cc every three hours. We've delt with dehydration and bloat. They are good with that now(tummy rubs and warm water soaks worked like a charm for the bloat!). I read that they ought to be on fox valley formula and figure that might help with the slight diarrhea they seem to be having since yesterday morning. I started mixing the esbilac 3 water to 1 formula yesterday evening and as of now, their stools seem to be a tad less runny. I will continue this 3 to 1 unless someone thinks I ought to do otherwise. So, what I am wondering is if anyone here can give me information on where to order the FV formula (with emphasis on a place that can get it to me FAST!). I am in Crockett Texas (Houston county if that helps).

Now maybe this part should be in a separate thread, but for time's sake and help in assesing the whole picture, I am posting it all here.

The first day I had them I started them on pedialyte.

The second day, once they seemed to be doing well I started a transition from the pedialyte to the esbilac, MIXING THE TWO together (as per the advice of orphanedwildlifecare.com ....which is where I got all my information until day 3 when I found this site).

They started to bloat badly and still seemed dehydrated so I slowed the transition down and kept feeding the pedialyte/esbilac mix. Either they did not state it or I failed to read the fact that the pedialyte should not be given for more than 24 hrs!

Day 3: Thank the heavens this site exists and I managed to find it! I read about the no pedialyte after 24 hrs. and put them on full formula (esbilac: 2 water 1 powder).

Another thing I may have miss read, but I'm pretty sure it said this: The feeding chart they provided showed that 1 week old squirrels should be fed over night but it did not say to feed overnight for 2 week babies. It wasn't until last night(5 days in) that I came across a chart from a differnt site that said to feed overnight. This explains why they look so skinny now I guess. I will now be feeding them overnight as well.

Okay, now for the hairy part. On day 1 they both aspirated due to my lack of feeding skills with the syringe. (Note: one of the babies did have a small amount of blood on the nose but it did not continue to bleed. No sign of the blood entering day 2). The clicking sound was present on the first day but doesn't "seem" as bad now, but I would still like to address the problem A.S.A.P. with antibiotics. Feeding has gone smoothly with no inhalation problems since then.

So, could anybody here help me find someone in my area who knows about and has the correct type and amounts of antibiotics for this situation? (As I read someone else mention: most vets seem to veiw squirrels as the plague! Which I think holds true for the vet in my town, as they did not have any type of syringes and nipples for the babes)

----------------------

Sorry I did not introduce myself after making an account here, but as many of you here probably know, time is hard to come by when dealing with the little ones.

So, hello everybody! I am very grateful for this site and all those who take the time to help those of us (and the squirrels) in need...and ya'll seem to be quick about it, which is wonderful! There was already so much useful info on here that many of the issues I was having were able to be addressed without posting. Thank you Squirrel Board!

Rainy9 Guest

Default Re: Need Fox Valley formula and antibiotics!!!

Sorry,

Here is a photo of the two on day Two....

By rainyc at 2010-08-21

Please re-post this in Emergency Life threatening, you will get a faster response.

You can buy Fox Valley as well as syringes, nipples, and other rehab supplies at http://henryspets.com and if you tell her you need it immediately she will ship it next day - but it won't go until Monday so Tuesday is your earliest arriival time...

The clicking...is it constant? Can you hear it ALL the time, including when the baby is sleeping? Or is it something you hear only occastionally.

We have a lot of TX people on here. Can you give us a more specific location - East TX covers a lot of ground!

You want to duplicate Mama as much as possible to feed. Use nothing larger than a 1cc syringe. Mama lays on her back, babies are face down on her tummy. If you can prop baby's front end up on a little towel, and hold the syringe so the tip is pointing up, (not down from above) you are in the most natural position. The nipples help, too - you just need to keep the nipple tip filled with formula, baby will suck it out of the nipple.

Rainy9 Guest

@ Cejemere: thanks, will repost now.

@ CritterMom: Thanks for the link and info on how to get FV fast. The clicking noise...I don't hear it when they are sleeping. It is only ocassionally but is enough to make me want antibiotics.

I changed my profile info, so instead of saying East Tx it says Crockett Texas. Sorry 'bout that.

I do admitt it is a bit frustrating to get them to settle down enough to be able to feed them while they are lying out on their stomachs because I and the syringe just don't really feel like momma. But I am being patient with them. Just started using a very large hot water bottle. I lay it on my lap and put a cloth over it. It has helped a bit. I'm hoping that once my order of tiny syringes with nipples gets here that it will help.

Thansk to all for your help.

something else that may work at feeding time is having your hand shaped like the letter C around them with one finger on a side of their mouth. I find that it simulates the moms tummy and improves sucking plus keeps them fairly warm and snuggly ( think about if you have ever seen a kitten or puppy nurse from their mother, their mouth is pressed up against the stomach). This may help until your nipples get there and even help after. It seemed to work for me and still does. Good luck with your babies. I hope this helps.
    Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama

The fate of animals is of greater importance to me than the fear of appearing ridiculous; it is indissolubly connected with the fate of men.

Émile Zola

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.