Thread: male squirrel

Default male squirrel

Hypathetaclly speaking because I know your not suppose to keep unreleasable squirrels. but if you could would a male need to be nutered

Default Re: male squirrel

Hi! I don't think it's terrible to have a squirrel, all depends how he/she comes into your life, you know what I mean.

Some people here have male squirrels, the most famous is Bean, member FLUFFYTAILNUT under breed specific, he is NOT Neutered. Take a look at his thread.

In my opinion I don't know why someone would, unless they're worried about reproducing.... is that why?

Best of luck to you.
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty's mom
    Hypathetaclly speaking because I know your not suppose to keep unreleasable squirrels. but if you could would a male need to be nutered
    There is nobody that I know of now that has had a male neutered...and in Florida it is legal to own a squirrel, and none of the males are neutered...
    I did have a friend that had one done a few years back, but he has since escaped, and to be honest, it made no difference in his behavior...come springtime, he still wanted to go out, and I believe the risks outweigh the benefits...JMO

Ike will be two in August, he isn't neutered.

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

"The winds of Heaven blow between the ears of a horse"

This male has something wrong with his penis and I was told to euthanize him a month ago and thought he deserved a little life now I know him and he is so sweet it is hard but i have two females and can't keep a male who will want to mate.

Is this a gray squirrel? From what I've read, they won't breed in captivity.

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

yes he's grey and bad but not in a cage he has the run of my down stairs for now he's about 11wks old. I know I can't keep everyone who can't be released I just wish there were more alturnatives

yes he's grey and bad but not in a cage he has the run of my down stairs for now he's about 11wks old. I know I can't keep everyone who can't be released I just wish there were more alturnatives

Bless you for giving him a chance what is wrong with his penis? Is that the only reason you are not releasing???

yes it was suckled on when he was young and it hangs exposed i have to keep after it or it gets infected the dr tried but it never got better other wise he is healthy

I have been rehabbing squirrels now for 15years and never saw one this bad but he pees just fine

I don't see any reason in neutering him. If you're two girls are going to be released anyway, I still wouldn't worry about them breeding... especially since he's only 11wks old.

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

My girls are not releasable. Once before I had a male that I had to keep longer than when I should have released and he bit a guest very badly and this friend did not even try to touch him. After that he had to stay in his cage most of the time till he could be released and he was very affectionate. I am looking for an alternative for weezer but I can't see him in a cage for the rest of his life and I can't bring myself to put him down. He sat an my lap last night calmer than the cat just wanting his but rubbed.

My girls are not releasable. Once before I had a male that I had to keep longer than when I should have released and he bit a guest very badly and this friend did not even try to touch him. After that he had to stay in his cage most of the time till he could be released and he was very affectionate. I am looking for an alternative for weezer but I can't see him in a cage for the rest of his life and I can't bring myself to put him down. He sat an my lap last night calmer than the cat just wanting his but rubbed.

Most of the time squirrels will only go to one person if they are being kept as a pet. What you might have to do is when you have company, you put him in a cage and don't let him near other people. He may also get snippy with you too, but many people have had to keep NR squirrels, and they work through the biting and will allow them supervised playtime outside of the cage in the house. Make sure too that the cage is plenty big enough to accommodate him. As I said my friend had a NR male neutered and it made no difference towards strangers, he still hated me, and he basically was the same with my friend...he liked her, but would get snippy sometimes even to her...

Bless you for giving him a chance! You are his angel.
    We have had our Sugar for 2 years now (he is NR due to being albino) and he is still intact. He went through a period where he was a holy terror, but has settled down. We use the supervised play method and it works very well. Maybe this method would work for you and your little guy. Since I have 3 children, full time run of the house is not an option. They do seem to get attached to one person and detest anyone else. Mine will love on me bunches, accept goodies from everyone in the house - but Heaven forbid if someone besides me puts a finger in their house! Nothing but a nub would be returned.
    Hope things go well for you and your little one.