Thread: Where does "tea" fall on the nutrition scale

Default Where does "tea" fall on the nutrition scale

Whether it's cooled down steeped black tea with lotsa sugar, ifed tea made from powdered sugar, used teabags or even new ones, my girl is obsessed with tea. She will dive into my cup if I'm having some, today she found one in the garbage (she's known where the kitchen garbage is for a long time. Never showed any interest until today when I found her sitting in it licking and nibbling a used teabag), she will steal the teabag from my cup as im waiting for water to boil, shred the individual wrappers to get at a new teabag, and just generally cry like a baby and make "disturbed noises" if I have tea and don't let her dip her face in it until she's had her fill.

As a baby she would climb my thermos and try to lower herself in and usually fall and get soaked and that led to frequent baths which made her like bathtime but anyway

Just curious about HOW bad the tea is for her. Bcuz I know it's not good for her. Dry or wet sugared or pure. But she's truly obsessed. It's the only thing she scours the kitchen for. Her nuts are in a diff location and she will fiddle with those a good deal but the tea...

Default Re: Where does "tea" fall on the nutrition scale

Quote Originally Posted by MotherOfBadgers View Post
    Whether it's cooled down steeped black tea with lotsa sugar, ifed tea made from powdered sugar, used teabags or even new ones, my girl is obsessed with tea. She will dive into my cup if I'm having some, today she found one in the garbage (she's known where the kitchen garbage is for a long time. Never showed any interest until today when I found her sitting in it licking and nibbling a used teabag), she will steal the teabag from my cup as im waiting for water to boil, shred the individual wrappers to get at a new teabag, and just generally cry like a baby and make "disturbed noises" if I have tea and don't let her dip her face in it until she's had her fill.

As a baby she would climb my thermos and try to lower herself in and usually fall and get soaked and that led to frequent baths which made her like bathtime but anyway

Just curious about HOW bad the tea is for her. Bcuz I know it's not good for her. Dry or wet sugared or pure. But she's truly obsessed. It's the only thing she scours the kitchen for. Her nuts are in a diff location and she will fiddle with those a good deal but the tea...

You should go read about Tuffs adventure part 1 and Part 2. His obsession is coffee. I have no idea but he will take mine from me if he could 😂😂😂😂. It’s comical until he wants to fight over it. I just make sure he is busy to make my coffee or still in his cage. It’s crazy how they get obsessed over certain things. Tuff’s current obsession is my Diet Mt. Dew, Coffee, and my cigarettes. I have to hide them from him or we have all his demons surface. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    You should go read about Tuffs adventure part 1 and Part 2. His obsession is coffee. I have no idea but he will take mine from me if he could 😂😂😂😂. It’s comical until he wants to fight over it. I just make sure he is busy to make my coffee or still in his cage. It’s crazy how they get obsessed over certain things. Tuff’s current obsession is my Diet Mt. Dew, Coffee, and my cigarettes. I have to hide them from him or we have all his demons surface. Lol
    Lol maybe they like caffeine? Or do you make your coffee light and sweet? I think my girl is going after the sweetness, but yet when i dumped a teaspoon of sugar in front of her just to see what happened she sniffed it tasted it and gave me a stupid look and shot like a rocket ship into the tea thermos spilling it everywhere and getting soaked in it. I think she does it on purpose cuz she knows that I'll clean the mess before I give her a bath and while I clean she can lick all the tea off her body rather than fight me for the cup.

No joke she will vaporize out of nowhere as I lift the cup to my mouth and suddenly shes on my shoulder with her hind legs and her hands on my cup and head inside it AS I'm drinking.

That's adorable. Would love video of that!
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    That's adorable. Would love video of that!
    I wouldnt mind sharing videos of her but not keen on having myself in them for *mumbles mumbles* "reasons."

https://imgur.com/gallery/LEyeBel

https://i.imgur.com/eU0ibuS.mp4

These are somewhat dated. The second was when she was a baby, and both were from before I realized she was female, hence the "he" this and he that.

https://i.imgur.com/swPZxua.jpg

Not Iced tea specifically but this was the time she ate my whole salad and knocked over the cup and just made a disaster.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to MotherOfBadgers:

Nancy in New York (03-18-2021), sundoesshine (03-17-2021)

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MotherOfBadgers from:

sundoesshine (03-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MotherOfBadgers View Post
    Are you sure this is your squirrel cause it white acts like mine!!!! 😂😂😂 Tuff is just like this!!! I have gotten where I just empty a pack of cigarettes pull everything off and out of it. Shake it out and throw it down. He does the rest!!!! He will grab and be gone, then he twirls it stout about three time opens the box and sticks his head in it..pulls out his head and is like...ugh!!!😂😂😂 throws it to the floor. Coffee on the other hand is an all out war with all the biblical demons that posses his tiny body. You can not video that at all your to busy trying to keep all your appendage, because he will do everything in his power to rip them from your body. I think they all have certain obsessions, some are the same but others are just quirky. Maybe it’s because what momma/daddy does they do? They smell this on our hands and breathe and they just get used to it and wanna taste or looks see..he latest obsession are out tough play gloves that I use anymore, he wants to make a nest out of them beside me. They are always handy if needed (when the demons come out to play) but he rubs on them and try’s to carry them which he can’t but he tries.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    *snip*
    I've been calling her "bad babby" forever. Not baby but "bab-by" if you ever google "how is babby formed" its from that... (squirrel babbies are formed in trees and found by dogs).

She's mischievous sure but her destructive streak has subsided. Still very food obsessed.

And yea perhaps they do just want whatever we have. I can't have anything without her trying to take a bite.

It's probably gross but i let her chew this one callus i have on my toe. She does a better job removing it than the foot dr. I trim her teeth she trims my callus. Fair trade i suppose lol.

I do film and photograph her and my dogs A LOT and I used to upload to the Internet anonymously to share the cuteness but I got way too much backlash and just ignorant nasty people angry that I have a Squirrel either because they think I shouldn't have it, I should set her free even though she'll die, jealousy, the reasons are endless. So I sort of stopped sharing, but I have not stopped filming.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MotherOfBadgers from:

I LoVe watching "bad babby" footage. I've found myself watching the clips over and over because she is just so darn mischievous and cute at the same time. Her little harness is priceless. I'm very jealous, mine is a released semi mean and independent big foxer boy now, so I watch yours to get my "fix" of that squirrel interaction I miss from when he was sweet. Upload all the cuteness you got in my opinion!

ps I love how you gently swivel her to face the camera while she doesn't skip a beat working on her scoop.
    Oh, and now that I've seen another squirrel do it, can I just say how flippin cute it is that squirrels cradle one paw underneath the other to clean their hands?
    Squirrels are just the best

Quote Originally Posted by sundoesshine View Post
    I LoVe watching "bad babby" footage. I've found myself watching the clips over and over because she is just so darn mischievous and cute at the same time. Her little harness is priceless. I'm very jealous, mine is a released semi mean and independent big foxer boy now, so I watch yours to get my "fix" of that squirrel interaction I miss from when he was sweet. Upload all the cuteness you got in my opinion!

ps I love how you gently swivel her to face the camera while she doesn't skip a beat working on her scoop.
    Oh, and now that I've seen another squirrel do it, can I just say how flippin cute it is that squirrels cradle one paw underneath the other to clean their hands?
    Squirrels are just the best
    Aw. I'm sorry your boy was mean. And yea my girl is a rare gem if I do say so myself. Not a day goes by that I don't make note of it and count my blessings and really appreciate and acknowledge her/it/everything. I was careful to not let my imgur account be linked to the vids I posted but I will PM you the link to the account. It's wanting for newer vids but it's got plenty from Sterling growing up. Just try not to judge me on my defensive comments. People are really ignorant about all of it so I get pretty mean sometimes.

On second thought.... screw it.

https://imgur.com/user/BadBabby

That is an interesting question.

This is an article on the results on how much of the calcium in a measure of milk that was added to various tea sources that contains oxalic acid, (which has a high propensity to bond/bond with calcium making it no longer able to be utilized by the body) bonded with oxalic acid. Scroll down to see the table with the data; the last column shows the percentage of calcium loss from the various tea sources tested. Though some sources were very low, some were relatively high in the percentage of the calcium in the milk that was lost.

http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/apjcn/11/4/298.pdf

Depending upon the maturity of the teas leaves, (mature leaves) black tea leaves, tend to be higher in oxalic acid; yet compared to other leaf sources, the level of oxalic acid contained in teas were relatively lower in oxalic acid than found in (weeds) like purslane, lamb quarters, rhubarb, sorrel, etc.

Should you desire a more comprehensive list of the oxalic levels of various tea sources, you can PM me.

https://blog.piquetea.com/oxalate-in-tea/'

White tea leaves (immature leaves) tend to be higher in caffeine; black teas tend to be lower in caffeine, and green teas levels generally are in-between.

Your girl's videos are darling! Can't knock her for her good appetite that's a plus.

I guess that's the, "naughty girl" bowl she's in.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

MotherOfBadgers (03-19-2021), sundoesshine (03-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    That is an interesting question.

This is an article on the results on how much of the calcium in a measure of milk that was added to various tea sources that contains oxalic acid, (which has a high propensity to bond/bond with calcium making it no longer able to be utilized by the body) bonded with oxalic acid. Scroll down to see the table with the data; the last column shows the percentage of calcium loss from the various tea sources tested. Though some sources were very low, some were relatively high in the percentage of the calcium in the milk that was lost.

http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/apjcn/11/4/298.pdf

Depending upon the maturity of the teas leaves, (mature leaves) black tea leaves, tend to be higher in oxalic acid; yet compared to other leaf sources, the level of oxalic acid contained in teas were relatively lower in oxalic acid than found in (weeds) like purslane, lamb quarters, rhubarb, sorrel, etc.

Should you desire a more comprehensive list of the oxalic levels of various tea sources, you can PM me.

https://blog.piquetea.com/oxalate-in-tea/'

White tea leaves (immature leaves) tend to be higher in caffeine; black teas tend to be lower in caffeine, and green teas levels generally are in-between.
    To clarify one point: I don't add milk to my tea. And are you suggesting that perhaps it's this oxalic acid that the squirrel is trying to get from the tea?

Your girl's videos are darling! Can't knock her for her good appetite that's a plus.

I guess that's the, "naughty girl" bowl she's in.
    Thanks. This is perhaps the only place where most folks wont have a hateful response. I hope everyone enjoys the shares. If requested I'll start adding more, if just for this community. Maybe make a new account and have private vids that I just post here. Though Sterling has a good 15 or so followers that DM me on imgur nagging for new pictures and videos lol.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MotherOfBadgers from:

sundoesshine (03-20-2021)

No, I'm not suggesting that at all; your squirrel apparently just likes the taste.

No, I'm not suggesting that at all; your squirrel apparently just likes the taste.
    I'm sorry, but I'm confused. I don't understand the relevance of the study. Unless tea/oxalic acid will "bond" with the calcium from sources OTHER than milk, meaning it's a bad idea to give her tea on a regular basis (which I already instinctively knew, without having any particular reason or research to back up my intuition lol)? Was that it?

p.s.

In answer to your question for clarification, the data chart in the tea research article illustrates evidence that oxalic acid bonds with free calcium, not just it bonding with the calcium in the tea alone. For upon combining milk with tea, the oxalic acid content of various teas tested were found to significantly lower the availability of the calcium contained in the milk added to them. And though milk from cows is not a source one should ever add to the diet of tree squirrels, tea would have much the same result in lowering the calcium in yogurt and any plant food source that contains calcium included in the meal with tea leaves.

The focus of the study was in regard to regular human consumption of teas, your squirrel licking the tea bag doesn't qualify as regular consumption, yet not fr reason that this wasn't human consumption, for other studies done on the effect of oxalic acid in the diet of rats and mice show that regular consumption of sources higher in oxalates have been found to have a negative impact upon calcium availability in foods consumed at the same time as those notably higher in oxalates. For example, the Noonan group study of 1999, on the oxalate values of selected food stuffs, notes other mammalian species, including the rat, not just in humans, are effected by higher levels of oxalate consumption.

In that article, tea was one of the sources listed to have higher levels of oxalates, as this excerpt from that article notes the
    mean calcium content of tea was found to be (450 mg. per/100 g.); and the mean oxalate value of tea found to be (1150 mg. per 100 g.) which makes tea very unlikely it will contribute any calcium from the tea itself, yet also very likely to lower calcium in other sources it is consumed with, as the mean of oxalate to calcium is over (2:1) in ratio, as the full article goes onto explain in greater detail. I hope that helps clarify that when sources higher in oxalates are included in the diet they will lower the availability of calcium to the bones and cells, as well as lower the availability of other sources of calcium including in the same meal also.

Ref: https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...4da0fd884b19c2