Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AVOCADO: Toxic or not?

Default Re: AVOCADO: Toxic or not?

Everyone's comments were excellent, pro and con. If I find any other 'readable' academic pieces here I will post them -- some are just beyond comprehension to anyone without a PhD in horticulture or biology. Or Latin.
    I think the consensus is fairly good here that feeding squirrels the nice, ripe, green center part of a good avocado will NOT hurt them and will make them very, very happy. As for allowing squirrels free reign to eat whatever part they want -- we'll leave that up to the individual squirrel person, with a cautionary note.

It's like grapes. We know squirrels choke on grapes. Some of us still feed them grapes....some cut, peel, and de-vein the grapes before feeding....and some (like me) pretty much just avoid feeding grapes at all unless we're sitting there watching the squirrel eat it. Like my financial advisor says to me all the time: it's a matter of how much risk you are willing to live with.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: AVOCADO: Toxic or not?

Yes IR that's exactly what I was saying. No one should say anything as fact until it's known for sure. Be cautionary and do what makes you comfortable. I would no more say "Sure avocado skins and pits are perfectly safe" than I would say "Hey feed your dog chocolate cause all mine have lived to tell the tale" .

Stating opinion as fact is what I was concerned about. My babies from squirrels to rats get avocado every single day here.

And I didn't say that wilds wouldn't eat skins or pits I said that they probably limit how much they eat naturally as they are not held captive with the food and nothing else to do. I've seen it with horses. They will eat horrid moldy hay (no not mine I'm the hay police if it's not perfect it's not offered here) in a stall that they would completely ignore if they were out in a field. We have to be careful when the choices are slim that they don't decide to take whatever is offered regardless of risk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12