Thread: What to feed 6 week old squirrel

Default What to feed 6 week old squirrel

This baby just opened her eyes 2 weeks ago so I guess she's about 6 weeks old. She got very sick and had diarrhea, so was taken off the Esbilac and is now being fed high quality almond milk, coconut milk, avocado, and kozy shack tapioca, all of which she likes to eat.

I'm wondering:
    1) is it ok to be off the infant formula at 6 weeks?
    And does anyone know at what age a baby squirrel stops nursing in the wild?

2) is the above diet ok for her? I've read some negative things about avocado on this board, but in our experience the squirrels go crazy for it, so we try not to deprive them of it as an occasional treat. How could it be that bad when they love it so? I know it provides good, healthy fats and is full of minerals. But I am concerned that it might not be good if it is too big a part of this squirrel's diet.

Any thoughts, pro or con on any of these foods would be appreciated.

TIA,
    fungipami

Default Re: What to feed 6 week old squirrel

Some one more experienced than I will be by shortly to help you. There will be some basic questions that you should answer first for them.

Breed.
    condition.
    weight.

things like that.

There are many types of Squirrels and some have special needs to thier diet to help them grow strong and healthy.

Giving them a little more info will help them point your Baby in the right direction.

for helping the fuzzy's

Oh and dont forget the picts they sometimes help if you dont know the breed and we Luvs to see em : )
    I've Lived Hard, Fast and Wild. Now I live Wise!!

virgo062 Guest

Give them the formula as long as they will take it. They need the calcium...If you are having problems with the Esbilac the best formula is Fox Valley 20/50 for squirrels over 4 weeks...Let the squirrel tell you when he has had enough.
    Avacado is ok for a treat but NEVER the skins or the pit they are toxic. I'm thinking my boys stopped the formula at 10-12 weeks. if you can post a picture that would help...And what kind of squirrel do you have?

It is way too soon to be off formula. They are weaned at around 10-12. They need the nurtients from the formula to thrive properly.

Quote Originally Posted by prncsbabs1
    It is way too soon to be off formula. They are weaned at around 10-12. They need the nurtients from the formula to thrive properly.

Absolutely right prncsbabs.... He needs to be on formula! Order the fox valley today. Here is their site...http://foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asp
    you can call to order.
    The most important thing in this baby's diet is the formula. For now I would go to a pet store and get Just Born for puppies, but don't keep him on it...this is just until the FV comes in.

virgo062 Guest

The formula is the most important part of his diet right now...Mix it with a little yogurt or heavy cream. He really needs to be on a regular schedule of formula. I also toss in some Tums just for added protection

Thanks all, for your input. This is an Eastern Gray squirrel common to the New York City area. She was rescued when she was quite young after her nest got destroyed somewhere in the city. She was put on Esbilac (along with a bunch of other things in the formula like fruits, vegetables, eggs) and she looked extremely healthy when I saw her, which was a couple of days after she opened her eyes. Her fur was beautiful and her eyes were bright and she was very alert. Unfortunately my camera malfunctioned or I'd have a picture to show you right now.

About a week later I heard that she got very sick, and had diarrhea and was dehydrated. I was then told that the diarrhea stopped as soon as the Esbilac was stopped. Now I've been told that she is doing better, but she has not been returned to any formula, and is being fed the diet I mentioned - nut milk, coconut milk, fresh avocado and pudding. I was wondering if she should be put on the other formula but maybe her caretaker is wary of formulas because of what happened with the Esbilac.

Since adults subsist mostly on nuts, I was wondering if nut milk (such as almond milk) would suffice for her. But this is a store-bought milk, not made fresh from soaked almonds. And the coconut milk is from a can or bottle purchased at a drug store. The only fresh item is the avocado. I guess it would be best to get her back on a formula.

fungipami

Hi,

What this baby is being fed is NOT GOOD>

At 6 weeks they should be getting formula 4 times a day and given weaning foods. They need formula.

7-8 weeks they should be fed 3 times a day.

8-10 they should eat more solid foods but should still be offered formula.

10-12 weeks they are weaned and should be able to crack a walnut.

14 weeks they should be able to self support.

Again, it needs formula...even though you are feeding it "milk types"...it needs formula which has the proper nutrients and fat content to be able to survive and thrive.

Thank you Barbara, this is great. I'll pass it along!

Pam

fungipami>>>
    Feliz Navidad Y Prospero Ano Nuevo
    ------ to YOU and all your Furry Family

Stosh & RamaMama & Rama Rota