Thread: Esbilac diluting ratio?

Default Esbilac diluting ratio?

Got a can today to start my little angel on some sort of formula until fox valley gets here tomorrow or the next day. I know I need to dilute it but need to know the formula to water ratio. She is about 7-8 weeks but she needs to gain some weight also. I'm also giving her pedialyte and plan to switch feedings every two to three hours.

Default Re: Esbilac diluting ratio?

Ultimately, you want:

1 part esbilac
    1.5 parts water
    .5 part heavy whipping cream 17% milkfat

If course you want to work up to that slowly. You can also substitute a little heavy cream for part of the water in the FV when you get it.

this will be her first feeding with the formula, should i use that ratio?

OK, wait a minute. Do you have the Esbilac powder or the already mixed stuff?

If it is the powder, my recipe is the full strength version. I make some up full strength, then cut the first couple feedings so it is about 2/3 formula and 1/3 water, then at each feeding increas the formula and decrease the water until he is on full strength, monitoring his poops all the while. When you then transition to the Fox Valley, do the same thing - mix half FV and half full strength esbilac and gradually replace the esbilac half with the FV. Gradual is good.

If it is the liquid, canned Esbilac it is already constituted with water. I would dilute that with an additional 1 part water and no heavy cream until you get the Fox Valley. The less Esbilac in her system, the better. Full strength Esbilac plus heavy cream may give her diarrhea, big time, IMHO.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    If it is the liquid, canned Esbilac it is already constituted with water. I would dilute that with an additional 1 part water and no heavy cream until you get the Fox Valley. The less Esbilac in her system, the better. Full strength Esbilac plus heavy cream may give her diarrhea, big time, IMHO.

And IR knows 100 times what I do about raising baby squirrels, so listen to her!!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom
    And IR knows 100 times what I do about raising baby squirrels, so listen to her!!
    Nah, just trying to minimize any ill effects on the little girl's GI system, that's all
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

i did 1 tbsp formula and three tbsps of water. so far poops have been good since eating only apple,broccoli and celery mix...i will have to see what this formula does to her little system. next feeding is pedialyte..i noticed her lips didnt look as pink as id like them.

There are many people that feel that the Esbilac is so terrible now for the littles, and even though you have the FV ordered, if you can get Just Born puppy formula, until your FV comes in you would be so much better off than using the Esbilac. Or use Jackies formula...Last year the Esbilac caused the death of thousands of squirrels I wouldn't risk it...JMO
    Jackie (Jackie in Tampa) has graciously offered her temporary replacement formula recipe.
    Jackie's Goat Milk Recipe
    1 cup goats milk
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt