Thread: Tail Loss in Park Squirrels.

Hybrid View

Default Tail Loss in Park Squirrels.

There is a park that my friend & I often visit in Manhattan. While I have not been there for a while, she told me of 7 squirrels that have lost part of their tails. They are friendly in this park & come up to you for food. She has seen blood at the tips of the tails. Their fur is otherwise fine. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

mugzeezma Guest

Default Re: Tail Loss in Park Squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine
    There is a park that my friend & I often visit in Manhattan. While I have not been there for a while, she told me of 7 squirrels that have lost part of their tails. They are friendly in this park & come up to you for food. She has seen blood at the tips of the tails. Their fur is otherwise fine. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
    I'm assuming that there is a lot of human traffic going on, dogs, cats, etc.
    A squirrel's tail is nothing more than a string of light bones covered by a light but muscular layer of flesh. If a squirrels tail gets caught the flesh will easily tear off leaving the bone behind which then dies and falls off. It doesn't grow back.
    It's a good thing that tails separate easily. The squirrel can escape with his life.
    Chances are something tried to catch these squirrels and all they got was tail.

My African Grey parrot bit my lilbits tail and sure enough, he lost about a half inch of it.So now that makes since, I never knew that, and when It happened it worried me to death and the vet said there was not anything to do but watch him for any signs of infection. He was fine He learned to stay off Oscars cage and run fast when Oscarwas on the loose.
    Quote: "All Creatures Big and Small,"All Things Bright and Beautiful" ,"All Things Wise and Wonderful" and, "The Lord God Made Them All" By James Herriot

Quote Originally Posted by lilbitsquirrely
    My African Grey parrot bit my lilbits tail and sure enough, he lost about a half inch of it.So now that makes since, I never knew that, and when It happened it worried me to death and the vet said there was not anything to do but watch him for any signs of infection. He was fine He learned to stay off Oscars cage and run fast when Oscarwas on the loose.
    That's incredible about poor lilbits tail being bitten by your African Grey. My concern, as is my friend's, is that this is not being done by a crazy human. As mentioned in above post, there are many cats & dogs in the park, but she's seen so many now & has never happened before.

KAtherine, snagging on something is also a typical way that squirrels lose part of their tails. If these squirrels all live in a particular area, there may be a well-travelled path they use -- through a fence, between two walls, even a particular tree cavity -- where something sharp or rough is snagging them. People have had rehab squirrels break off part of their tails by being caught going in and out of nest boxes.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    KAtherine, snagging on something is also a typical way that squirrels lose part of their tails. If these squirrels all live in a particular area, there may be a well-travelled path they use -- through a fence, between two walls, even a particular tree cavity -- where something sharp or rough is snagging them. People have had rehab squirrels break off part of their tails by being caught going in and out of nest boxes.
    IR. Yes, they are all in a specific area. No fence or wall, but tree cavity is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by mugzeezma
    I'm assuming that there is a lot of human traffic going on, dogs, cats, etc.
    A squirrel's tail is nothing more than a string of light bones covered by a light but muscular layer of flesh. If a squirrels tail gets caught the flesh will easily tear off leaving the bone behind which then dies and falls off. It doesn't grow back.
    It's a good thing that tails separate easily. The squirrel can escape with his life.
    Chances are something tried to catch these squirrels and all they got was tail.
    Thanks. I'm just wondering if this is being done by a human(s). It is high human, dog, cat area but I've been going to this park for decades & have never seen this occur. As mentioned, my friend who lives around there, goes daily.