Thread: releasing info needed

Default releasing info needed

Next month Wiggles will be going to the cottage - what I need to know is what is a slow release - approximately how long does this take
    How soon after releasing, are squirrels able to look after their own food supplies.
    How long do I keep putting out his squirrel blocks - (he is still taking formula) and loves it. Is this a problem? I'm really getting anxious about this whole thing.
    Look forward to any ideas - thanks -Wiggles mom.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: releasing info needed

Can you give us more info? How old is wiggles and what type of release cage will you be using?
    Do you have trees? with leaves?
    Are there dogs, cats or a busy road?
    Can you hang a nestbox, is there a water source?

THe general idea of a soft release is to expose your baby to the new noises, preditors, neighborhood pets and area that he will live in. THey also learn from watching the other wilds...and then instinct kicks in

Providing him a safe, preditor safe area to aclimate in and after a non specified time and you feel he is ready, a small door up high in his pre release cage can be left open if he should wish to remain there at night and for nutrition...sometimes they returns for weeks. Placing this cage near a tree is best! And never leave a release cage in the full sun without cover. Cover or semi cover makes them feel safe also.
    I start offering the local natural foods and branches and plenty of fresh water...
    I never put a sq younger than 4 months outside ...and never release a sq until I know they are ready 100% and at least 5 months old! I perfer older but my sqs will live in a neighborhood and need to really pay attention and learn alot!

some sqs shag and never look back, but others are slower and not as quick to wild up...they're all different.
    I have had sqs that took formula for months...I think it's it's great, as we know they are getting the right nutrition
    Hope that others can give you better and more info...good luck and thanks for caring for a sq!

Default Re: releasing info needed

Thanks Jackie - Wiggles will be 10 months old when we go to cottage - very few dogs in area as neighbours keeps their pets on leash.
    He will have a cage that is about 4 ft. x 4 ft - under a tree -about 20 feet from where we rescued him -we have made a wooden house (that he has personally autographed) and he has 2 fleece cozy beds.
    We will be up there for about 3 weeks but then home for a week to attend graduations.
    Just wondered how long he should have to stay in his pre-release cage before opening it up to him - when we come home I shall leave a supply of water about 5 inches deep with a log in it so he can safely crawl out of should he go in to it we have lots of bird feeders and a 2 story garage that squirrels go in and out of to eat - have chewed their own entrance in at bottom of door - we thought at night we would put the cage in the garage so he would be familiar with the scents that are there and maybe find his way there when we come home for that period. We will cover the cage with a tarp when outside - it will not be in direct sunlight and about 15 feet away from shall lake shore. - Does this all sound okay? Thanks for your input. Beaulah - Wiggles worried mom.