Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Baby Squirrel not eating after 24 hrs :(

  1. #1

    Default Baby Squirrel not eating after 24 hrs :(

    Hi, my name is Lauren. I've never taken care of a squirrel before, but yesterday I was on a walk with someone, and a baby squirrel came up to us and crawled up our legs. We want to take it to a wildlife center, but are still in the process of finding one (weekends are hard). In the meantime, we are trying to take care of it, but find it difficult to get him to eat. He's old enough that his eyes are open and his tail curves, we guessed around 5 weeks. He will drink water from an eye dropper, but not the esbilac formula we bought. We know he has teeth, and we tried some fruit as well, but nothing works except water. How worried should I be about this, and what can we do?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel not eating after 24 hrs :(

    I was just reading almost the exact same story here. If you want go into this link while I post some things to do, and see if there is a rehabber in your area...

    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...009#post513009

  3. #3

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel not eating after 24 hrs :(

    Quote Originally Posted by laurenland
    Hi, my name is Lauren. I've never taken care of a squirrel before, but yesterday I was on a walk with someone, and a baby squirrel came up to us and crawled up our legs. We want to take it to a wildlife center, but are still in the process of finding one (weekends are hard). In the meantime, we are trying to take care of it, but find it difficult to get him to eat. He's old enough that his eyes are open and his tail curves, we guessed around 5 weeks. He will drink water from an eye dropper, but not the esbilac formula we bought. We know he has teeth, and we tried some fruit as well, but nothing works except water. How worried should I be about this, and what can we do?
    The baby needs some warmth. If you have a heating pad place it half under the container that you have the little one in. Put it on low. Put in things like fleece old pajamas, things like that so that his little nails can't get caught, and put him in a quiet area.
    Do you have a syringe to feed him? What kind of esbilac do you have the canned or the powdered. When you try to feed him what does he do? Just show no interest? You need to get him hydrated. Do you have pedialyte? If not you can make your own...
    1 tsp salt (teaspoon)
    3 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)
    1 quart warm water
    Keep refrigerated.

    You need to go really slow with him when you feed, but a cold baby will not eat. What do you have him in now? Just make sure that there are plenty of blankets or fleece so he can stay warm, you have him inside right?
    When you tried the formula you heated it up so it was warm right??

  4. #4

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel not eating after 24 hrs :(

    We do have him inside and warmed I hope-- he has a hot water bottle (we don't have an electric blanket) that he seems to love. He doesn't show any interest in food unless it's water, but we haven't tried pedialyte as of yet. We can definitely do that. I got the canned esbilac before I read that powder might be better...should I try powder? Also, we don't have a syringe, just an eye dropper which works, but I will get a syringe if that's better. All he's done is sleep, he's not been very active at all. :/
    Thanks so much for helping!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel not eating after 24 hrs :(

    Quote Originally Posted by laurenland
    We do have him inside and warmed I hope-- he has a hot water bottle (we don't have an electric blanket) that he seems to love. He doesn't show any interest in food unless it's water, but we haven't tried pedialyte as of yet. We can definitely do that. I got the canned esbilac before I read that powder might be better...should I try powder? Also, we don't have a syringe, just an eye dropper which works, but I will get a syringe if that's better. All he's done is sleep, he's not been very active at all. :/
    Thanks so much for helping!
    He's probably dehydrated so try a little more warmed water or Pedialyte. Older babies don't like the taste of Esbilac.... try adding a little cream, or a little Dannon Vanilla yogurt. Some people also have good luck with adding a little fruit juice.

    An eyedropper is fine unless you can find a QUALITY 1 cc syringe.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

    The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

  6. #6

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel not eating after 24 hrs :(

    Thanks so much, we'll see if this works! It's wonderful that you have this forum, btw, we were feeling pretty lost!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel not eating after 24 hrs :(

    Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    He's probably dehydrated so try a little more warmed water or Pedialyte. Older babies don't like the taste of Esbilac.... try adding a little cream, or a little Dannon Vanilla yogurt. Some people also have good luck with adding a little fruit juice.

    An eyedropper is fine unless you can find a QUALITY 1 cc syringe.

    Just make sure that the pedialyte is warmed a little...also they do sleep a lot at this age. Are you going to try to find a rehabber or take him someplace tomorrow? If you cannot find anyone and want to try to do this on your own...I will send quality 1 cc syringes to you, just pm me your name and address...Also keep changing the water in the water bottle so that he stays warm...very important...

    Here is an excellent link too that may help you...
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22295
    And in this one you can see approximately how old your little one is...
    http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/feat...y-squirrel.htm

  8. #8

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel not eating after 24 hrs :(

    Quote Originally Posted by laurenland
    Thanks so much, we'll see if this works! It's wonderful that you have this forum, btw, we were feeling pretty lost!

    Try to hang in there until tomorrow and there will be more help, your doing wonderful...I am off to bed soon, but others stay up later than me... But I get up at 2:00 so if you need help, I will check the board when I get up...

  9. #9

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel not eating after 24 hrs :(

    Sadly, Rocky Dozer the squirrel didn't make it. He just wouldn't eat. Thank you for all of your help, we feel terrible that we weren't able to do better!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel not eating after 24 hrs :(

    Quote Originally Posted by laurenland
    Sadly, Rocky Dozer the squirrel didn't make it. He just wouldn't eat. Thank you for all of your help, we feel terrible that we weren't able to do better!

    So sorry to hear that your little one did not make it...He could have been more compromised than you thought....
    You did the absolute best...You found him help you loved him and you helped him to pass being safe and warm and with love and dignity....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    23,491

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel not eating after 24 hrs :(


    thank you for giving him a secure and loving passing.
    Rest in Peace Sweet baby Squirrel

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •