Thread: What to feed our 1 year old?

Default What to feed our 1 year old?

We eat tons of produce and nuts around here so she is HAPPY! But she was running around and got hold of a beetle! YUCK!! But she seems to LOVE them.

Anyway, what specific foods are bad for her or are poisonous?

(Sorry for double posting? I am just now getting familiar with this board and saw this. I originally thought this was just for babies.)

Default Re: What to feed our 1 year old?

Hi! Welcome to the TSB. Nuts are actually not good for your squirrel (sounds crazy, I know) and will lead to a lethal illness called Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). Think of nuts as an occasional treat for your squirrel. Here are details about what is good and what is unhealthy or toxic:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Please read all of this as it contains great information that is REQUIRED to keep an indoor squirrel healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    We eat tons of produce and nuts around here so she is HAPPY! But she was running around and got hold of a beetle! YUCK!! But she seems to LOVE them.

Anyway, what specific foods are bad for her or are poisonous?

(Sorry for double posting? I am just now getting familiar with this board and saw this. I originally thought this was just for babies.)
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Grinderhead (05-08-2017), gunpackingrandma (05-08-2017), Harley (05-08-2017), lennysmom (05-08-2017), Nancy in New York (05-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Hi! Welcome to the TSB. Nuts are actually not good for your squirrel (sounds crazy, I know) and will lead to a lethal illness called Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). Think of nuts as an occasional treat for your squirrel. Here are details about what is good and what is unhealthy or toxic:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Please read all of this as it contains great information that is REQUIRED to keep an indoor squirrel healthy!
    Well, they seem to be a drug addiction for her! LOL She doesn't normally become aggressive but if she smells you have nuts in your hands, she will fight you for them. She has never bit me for them but she has bitten other people for them. We have to put them in mason jars to keep her from eating through the bags to get to them. Me and the kids eat a lot of nuts too.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    Well, they seem to be a drug addiction for her! LOL She doesn't normally become aggressive but if she smells you have nuts in your hands, she will fight you for them. She has never bit me for them but she has bitten other people for them. We have to put them in mason jars to keep her from eating through the bags to get to them. Me and the kids eat a lot of nuts too.
    Welcome to TSB. You came to the right place to learn about your squirrel's diet. Please realize the seriousness of your squirrel's diet. If she is eating a lot of nuts TubeDriver was absolutely on the money. Your squirrel will die if this is not corrected today. I know she loves nuts but they can and will kill her. Here at TSB we see soooooo many threads where a finder will come on and tell us their squirrel died and they can't understand why. Most of us know right away why. When the owner describes the diet it most always (99.9% of the time) a diet rich in nuts and the wrong food. It is really hard to change a squirrel's diet but change you must if you want to save your squirrel's life.

Please put MBD or Metabolic Bone Disease in the search bar and you will find story after story of squirrels who have died or are dying from MBD. The good news is that this condition can be turned around. IT WILL NOT BE EASY! It is like giving a child cookies and candy to eat for dinner and then you give them raw broccoli and raw mushrooms. I have had many finders bring their squirrel to me after suffering from MBD. I have saved many of them but I have lost too many because it was too late to save them.

Please start the Emergency MBD protocol tonight. You must take all (and I mean all ) nuts away including acorns, if any. I am not trying to scare you. Just trying to help you save your sweet girl. I know you are most likely thinking these people are crazy! Squirrels do eat nuts ....but in the wild their diet is totally different. Please read the following MBD protocol. Also read the many threads about squirrels with MBD that are now in the forum, "All Squirrels Go to Heaven ". Please ask all the questions you can about this killer condition.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...eferrerid=7651

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

Ekorre (05-08-2017), Grinderhead (05-08-2017), redwuff (05-08-2017), stepnstone (05-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    Welcome to TSB. You came to the right place to learn about your squirrel's diet. Please realize the seriousness of your squirrel's diet. If she is eating a lot of nuts TubeDriver was absolutely on the money. Your squirrel will die if this is not corrected today. I know she loves nuts but they can and will kill her. Here at TSB we see soooooo many threads where a finder will come on and tell us their squirrel died and they can't understand why. Most of us know right away why. When the owner describes the diet it most always (99.9% of the time) a diet rich in nuts and the wrong food. It is really hard to change a squirrel's diet but change you must if you want to save your squirrel's life.

Please put MBD or Metabolic Bone Disease in the search bar and you will find story after story of squirrels who have died or are dying from MBD. The good news is that this condition can be turned around. IT WILL NOT BE EASY! It is like giving a child cookies and candy to eat for dinner and then you give them raw broccoli and raw mushrooms. I have had many finders bring their squirrel to me after suffering from MBD. I have saved many of them but I have lost too many because it was too late to save them.

Please start the Emergency MBD protocol tonight. You must take all (and I mean all ) nuts away including acorns, if any. I am not trying to scare you. Just trying to help you save your sweet girl. I know you are most likely thinking these people are crazy! Squirrels do eat nuts ....but in the wild their diet is totally different. Please read the following MBD protocol. Also read the many threads about squirrels with MBD that are now in the forum, "All Squirrels Go to Heaven ". Please ask all the questions you can about this killer condition.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...eferrerid=7651
    I definitely will! When she got sick, like vomit and the runs, I saw I couldn't give her the amount of nuts she wanted. Yes, I actually cried and prayed for her. I have never done THAT before... But she REALLY IS my little girl! So I started giving her LOTS of greens that are easily available, outside, like dollar weeds, and just made sense that she could easily get. She also seems to LOVE branch bark and tree leaves. I rinse them first most times as I'm worried about worms...

Thoughts?

As long as your yard isn't sprayed with insecticide it should be fine. Squirrels will actually eat bugs in the wild. Things like grubs and moths, even roaches. Yuck, I know. When you get the greens from your yard don't wash off the dirt. There are micronutrients in the soil that they need and would ingest if they were outside digging in the yard. Just be sure there are no insecticides or recently applied fertilizers on the grasses.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

UDoWhat (05-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    As long as your yard isn't sprayed with insecticide it should be fine. Squirrels will actually eat bugs in the wild. Things like grubs and moths, even roaches. Yuck, I know. When you get the greens from your yard don't wash off the dirt. There are micronutrients in the soil that they need and would ingest if they were outside digging in the yard. Just be sure there are no insecticides or recently applied fertilizers on the grasses.
    I don't spray my yards and we live in wooded area so that's perfect. I was because I worry about her getting worms... Is that something I need to worry about?

I don't think so. Dr. Emerson, the squirrel super-vet, actually recommends giving them grass with the roots and dirt. If she was in the wild she would definitely be eating some dirt when she dug up any nuts that had been buried.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Harley (05-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I don't think so. Dr. Emerson, the squirrel super-vet, actually recommends giving them grass with the roots and dirt. If she was in the wild she would definitely be eating some dirt when she dug up any nuts that had been buried.
    Thank you. I have a vest and leash for her that we take her walks on outside so I helps this helps. Thank you