Thread: squirrel bitten by cat

Hybrid View

jkunnen Guest

Default squirrel bitten by cat

working with a rehabber....

Have a 4-5 week old baby...got her one a half weeks ago. She had been bitten by a cat (two punctures through back leg)
    Put her on antibiotic SMZ .1 cc twice a day and have been feeding her...she opened her eyes and is doing well, all except for the back leg...it is VERY swollen and infected...since day 1 I have washed with diluted peroxide and been putting Neosporin on it hourly...but it isn't getting better. Just last night tons of yucky infection stuff was coming out. My rehabber changed her .05 Baytril last night...Her name is Angel, and she is a real fighter. Again...eating very well, eliminating fine, and active....just this big knot on the joint on back leg...
    Any suggestions on a drawing solution or another antibiotic that would target this better. I have heard there is a powder that draws out infection.

PBluejay2 Guest

Default Re: squirrel bitten by cat

Quote Originally Posted by jkunnen
    working with a rehabber....

Have a 4-5 week old baby...got her one a half weeks ago. She had been bitten by a cat (two punctures through back leg)
    Put her on antibiotic SMZ .1 cc twice a day and have been feeding her...she opened her eyes and is doing well, all except for the back leg...it is VERY swollen and infected...since day 1 I have washed with diluted peroxide and been putting Neosporin on it hourly...but it isn't getting better. Just last night tons of yucky infection stuff was coming out. My rehabber changed her .05 Baytril last night...Her name is Angel, and she is a real fighter. Again...eating very well, eliminating fine, and active....just this big knot on the joint on back leg...
    Any suggestions on a drawing solution or another antibiotic that would target this better. I have heard there is a powder that draws out infection.
    Both SMZ and Baytril are good. I don't know the weight so can't check dosage, but I'm sure your vet knows what he or she is doing. My only comment would be that the peroxide is not a disinfectant. You might try flushing with a diluted betadine or solution or Nolvasan (chlorhexidine) instead and keeping silvadene cream on the would.

jkunnen Guest

Will this infection eventually go away? It wont kill her will it? I keep thinking that if it was going to kill her, it would have done it by now...Do you think we should keep gently squeezing out this pus stuff?

prgault Guest

In my experience once a cat bite gets this far a drain/wash tube, and flushing the abcess internally with chlorhexadine is neccessary.

P_

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

I agree with baytril and smz-tmp, they are top shelf ABs.
    also agree with betadine wash..
    no peroxide
    keep an eye on urine...if color or smell changes, contact vet asap.
    I sometimes will add yogurt/probotics to diet when using ABs long term for serious wounds.
    I like Panalog/Animax as a topical, as well as triple antiB...
    I have never used silvadene, but many swear by it!
    Good luck and I am in Tampa if I can help.
    Get well little squirrely!

Great advice from all above; try the Silvadene if you can get some from a vet. Baytril is perfect for cat-caught mammals; hopefully it will kick in soon.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Members who have read this thread: 1