I've had my grey squirrel for about 7 months now, I nursed him since he was a litle pinkie. He has always had some "kitten fur" on his sides but recently it seems to have gotten worse. I have bought and made him the recipe for hhb's but he refuses to eat them UNLESS I chop the blocks up into little bitty pieces, chop up pecans and then mix the whole thing with peanut butter. He gets plenty of fresh fruit and veggies dily too but my main concern is that 1) he seems a bit underweight 2) it seems like more fur is falling out. The weird thing is, the fur in his butt and back is thick (but not too shiny)....but its soo thin on the sides. He has been like this his entire life but lately it seems to be getting worse. I did some reading and I am going to buy him the vitamin drops and try to find this Kaytee forti diet. Previously he had been sick and I had to give him some baytril, the vet gave me this thing called critical care which I mix with water and the baytril. It turns into a mushy substance that I syringe fed, its sticky so he basically is forced to eat it since he can't spit it out. Should I add the vitamins from hhb to that formula and force feed it to him for now? I have bought calcium carbonate in the form of tums and rolaids but he doesn't eat them Also, what can I do to increase fat? I give him avacados alot but he still doesn't seem to be plumping up.
I thought about a release but he is incredibly friendly with everyone and everything right now (people and animals) and seems to be quite content living indoors. I do want him to have some natural sunlight though... has anyone tried leashes like the ferret ones?
I am going to try to post some pictures but everytime I try the file is apparently too big, any suggestions?