Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEEDING BABY SQUIRRELS

vickyjhnsn Guest

Default Re: FEEDING BABY SQUIRRELS

Just spoke to Lee at Henry's Healthy Pets. Wow they have everything I need for this little baby. I'm learning. I ordered the right formula and excited more than ever about this little girl. Thanks Lee and island rehabber. I'll keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbi's Mama View Post
    I posted this in another thread a bit ago, but I used the Esbilac last month and my baby almost died. I had ordered the Fox Valley and went to the vet and got Pro-Biolac Kitten Formula while I waited for it to arrive. The Pro-Biolac did so well I finished out that container before switching to FV. She did really well on it.
    Esbilac changed their formula back again, the new Esbilac with probiotcs is
    very similar to the first formula that was ok to use. Some of the old is still
    on the shelves so one needs to read the label and make sure it says "with
    probiotcs
    " on the label, the older Esbilac of course is without and does not
    list it.
    I still have to shake my head at veterinarians that recommend kitten formula for
    squirrels instead of puppy formula, a squirrel does not fall under the category of
    feline.
    The replacement milk for kittens does not hold the proper balance of
    nutrition required for a puppy anymore then it does for a squirrel.

That being said, I'm glad to hear your little did so well and happier still that
    she transitioned to the FV. I wish you nothing less then continued health and
    good luck for you and your baby.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I had avoided using kitten formula but I compared the ingredients of it to that of the FV and it was very similar...
    I had bought a different brand the first day I got her, but never used it because I'd read it wasn't good for them. I still wouldn't use that brand, but the Pro-Biolac did very well and had close to the right protein/fat content that baby squirrels need. Plus it has colostrum, which was honestly the selling point for me with that brand.
    However, FV is def. my number one choice.

Ace-the-squirrel Guest

Is the Henry's a substitute for one of the formula feedings? Should I give Ace water with the Henry's? I am eagerly waiting for them to arrive because Ace is starting to nibble now

No, the best thing to do is cut one in half and just put it in the cage with him - and continue formula feeding as you were before. Give them formula as long as they will take it. Some babies will pounce on them immediately and swat you if you try to take it away, some take a while - they mess with it and chew them up without actually eating at first...but the idea is to acclimate them to THIS as their staple food.

Ace-the-squirrel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    No, the best thing to do is cut one in half and just put it in the cage with him - and continue formula feeding as you were before. Give them formula as long as they will take it. Some babies will pounce on them immediately and swat you if you try to take it away, some take a while - they mess with it and chew them up without actually eating at first...but the idea is to acclimate them to THIS as their staple food.
    Thanks I will keep all of this info. close to my heart Hopefully he will be the pouncing type and just eat them up He loves his formula though!

Do you have a weight on the little guy? You really need to feed by weight.[/QUOTE]

I am weighing in a few. Locating my postal scales.
    is there data confirming the Tomlyn is not good for them or is it just that we know Esbilac has been working?
    Any tips on how to switch between the two formulas? Do I just change over as soon as I have the Esbilac.

The Tomlyn formula ingredients are:
    Ingredients: Dried whey protein concentrate, animal fat (preserved with BHA and citric acid), vegetable fat (preserved with BHA and citric acid), dried whole egg, canola oil, sodium phosphate, lecithin, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, cod liver oil, potassium chloride, magnesium sulfate, L-arginine, artificial flavor, dried bovine colostrum, dried whey, sodium bicarbonate, alpha-tocopherol (source of vit. E), manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, vit. A supplement, ferrous sulfate, vit. B12 supplement, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, ascorbic acid (source of vit. C), cholecalciferol (source of vit. D3), niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamin hydrochloride, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vit. K), biotin, sodium selenite, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, folic acid, cobalt sulfate, dried fermentation product of (Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus lichiniformis, B. subtilis, and L. lactis).

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Do you have a weight on the little guy? You really need to feed by weight.

He is 53 grams according to my postal scales.

Quote Originally Posted by supergirldee View Post
    Is there data confirming the Tomlyn is not good for them or is it just that we know Esbilac has been working?
    We know Esbilac works and we almost always see bad results (no weight gain, diarrhea, bloat, etc.) from many other formulas and, unfortunately, once the problems show up it becomes an extremely hard, uphill battle to save them. IMHO it is not worth the risk in finding out.

I am unfamiliar with Tomlyn's and spent a few minutes earlier trying to find the ingredients (unsuccessfully).

Any tips on how to switch between the two formulas? Do I just change over as soon as I have the Esbilac.
    The Esbilac powder is mixed 2 parts water to 1 part Esbilac. This is considered "full strength". If your baby is otherwise healthy and well hydrated, start with 3:1 dilution for 2 -3 feedings to see how he does then progress to the 2:1 full strength.

Also, I suggest you start a new thread with your story in the Help Needed (non-life threatening) section. Posting there will be seen quicker and by more members that can assist you (more opinions, quicker responses, etc.). Here is the link to that section:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/f...ng-Help-Needed

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

He is 53 grams according to my postal scales.
    So he should be getting 5% - 7% of his body weight, or 2.6ml - 3.7ml.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...DING-TECHNIQUE!!

You can use a goat's milk formula as a temporary substitution:
    3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    So he should be getting 5% - 7% of his body weight, or 2.6ml - 3.7ml.
    Clarification for future readers as I suspect I confused the person I was trying to assist:

So he should be getting 5% - 7% of his body weight, or 2.6ml - 3.7ml per feeding.

Walmart had a PetAG Milk Replacer for puppies in powder form. It was not PetAG Esbilac. White canister blue text... same company but called Milk replacer not Esbilac...

Does any one know if they are the same?

I can not find Esbilac.

I will feed the rest of what I have tonight and journey out tomorrow to some exotic pet stores.

I doubt they are the same but here is the ingredient list, third ingredient should be the "dried whey protein concentrate". Do you have a Tractor Supply Company (TSC) nearby? They usually have it...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

This is what I found for PetAg Puppy Milk Replacer. Blue can, pre/probiotics but the ingredient list is much different from the Esbilac.

PetAg Puppy Milk Replacer

Rice flour, dried meat solubles, dried skimmed milk, dried milk protein concentrate, animal fat (preserved with BHA and BHT), coconut oil, high oleic canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dicalcium phosphate, dried whey product, whey, casein, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, maltodextrins, salt, ferrous sulfate, lecithin, artificial flavor, DL-methionine, vitamin E supplement, zinc methionine complex, manganese sulfate, vitamin A supplement, pantothenic acid, niacin supplement, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, silicon dioxide, taurine, zinc sulfate, copper gluconate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    First of all, if the heating pad is actually IN their bed, PLEASE take it out. Heating pads should always be UNDER the container or the cage -- never in with the babies.

SO, as for taking them off heat altogether, I usually wait until about a week or two after their eyes open. Depends on how warm or drafty/chilly your room is. I have actually had a 7-wk old baby get pneumonia because I took her off heat too early.
    OMG!!! I had no idea it wasnt supposed to be in the container with the baby!!! I have done so much research and have tried to educate myself so much with raising my first baby squirrel. No where have I read these specific instructions! What harm comes from it being in the container? I will take mine out immediately but im just curious the harm? I guess it would get too warm?

Quote Originally Posted by NewSquirrelMom View Post
    OMG!!! I had no idea it wasnt supposed to be in the container with the baby!!! I have done so much research and have tried to educate myself so much with raising my first baby squirrel. No where have I read these specific instructions! What harm comes from it being in the container? I will take mine out immediately but im just curious the harm? I guess it would get too warm?
    You want the heating pad (set on low) under only 1/2 the container, that way they can crawl off the heat if they get too warm. There is a danger of getting burn, overheating if not able to retreat from the heat and of course the danger posed by chewing on an electric heating pad.

i know that it is an electric heating pad I guess I didnt think about it because my baby is so small and quite inactive that it just didnt cross my mind! Ive moved it now I just worry that she wont stay warm. I have a heating pad with a 1-6 heating setting. What setting do you suggest I keep it at? She is only 51 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by NewSquirrelMom View Post
    i know that it is an electric heating pad I guess I didnt think about it because my baby is so small and quite inactive that it just didnt cross my mind! Ive moved it now I just worry that she wont stay warm. I have a heating pad with a 1-6 heating setting. What setting do you suggest I keep it at? She is only 51 grams.
    I would set on "2" and check in 20 minutes and go up or down based on how "warm" the bottom of her container gets. I also try to make sure there is piece of fleece across the entire bottom (and more fleece squares on top of that so they can burrow into the fleece) so they are less likely to lie directly on the plastic.

What about fresh raw goat milk?
    Tinkerbell~ Southern Flying Squirrel, caught in our house when she was 5-6 weeks old. This was June 3 2011. Now just about a year old.

You could use fresh raw goat milk for a few days; after that you need to begin adding to it as listed in our Goat Milk Recipe. It does not have enough nutrients for baby squirrels long-term.

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast