Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you determine the sex of flying squirrels?

Default Re: How do you determine the sex of flying squirrels?

Thank you Fireweed for keeping in touch with him.

Sometimes we do thing wrong because we just don't know any better.

Loopy Squirrel Guest

Very well said Fireweed!

Fireweed, I respectfully disagree. I don't feel bad for speaking my mind in as calm a manner as possible. Sometimes people need a bit of tough love.
    + =

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?"
    -Gimli, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Pam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fireweed
    FYI, I pm'd Squirrelman a couple nights ago and he and I have since been exchanging emails about various things including healthy diets for squirrels and ideas for cages and habitat. He ran out today and bought Pearl Mazuri rodent blocks (the only ones he could find) and a cuttle bone. He's working on switching her over to a healthy diet now.

He and his wife have released the flyers. He said it was fine for me to post the links of the short videos they took yesterday evening. You'll see them below.

He said he won't come back to TSB even if paid. Honestly, I don't blame him and I hope we all learn from this thread about how counter-productive the "wolfpack mentality" is (Squirrelman's words ). Personally, and because of this thread, I've challenged myself to have more patience, to pay more attention while reading posts, and to learn to word my posts more carefully, for the sake of the squirrels especially.

Take this or leave it, as I know we all have different and valid viewpoints, but it's my opinion we didn't give Squirrelman much of a chance...and I hope everyone (myself included) thinks about the importance of having compassion for all kinds of animals, including the human kind.

I didn't come to TSB with much information about squirrels and had I not found TSB I, too, would've been making several mistakes in Shaky's care, diet, and habitat. Some of those mistakes would've been especially harmful to her and I shudder to think of the kind of life I would've given her had I not found TSB. I bet many members can say the same thing.

TSB is a very rare gem in cyberland---the information is just not easily available. We have to remember that. And if we claim to be so passionate about squirrels, we would think twice, three times, and even more about how our comments do come across online so that we don't attack and push someone away who's squirrels could obviously benefit from the help of the educated members here and the information they've worked so hard to gather -- Information gathered through years of experience and through years of blood, sweat, and tears living with and loving squirrels. Why would we want to risk keeping that wealth of knowledge from the squirrels who need it most?
    Had we given Squirrelman more time, had we been more patient, had we put our immediate reactions aside for a bit, we would've eventually understood he wants to learn more about squirrels and their care so he can give Pearl the best life possible.

Lastly, I want to say that Squirrelman wasn't doing anything intentional to harm Pearl or the flyers, no matter what any members want to believe. We've all made mistakes, we've all done things we look back on and say "what was I thinking?" and we've all done unwitting harm to animals in one way or another (anyone here eat meat and dairy, or wear leather, or use products which have been tested on animals, for just a few examples? ).
    I'm sure we can all find it in ourselves to understand (or at least try to understand) what it's like to *think* we have all the information even though we don't and to *think* we are not causing any harm even though in truth we really are.

If we are honest with ourselves, if we take responsibility for our actions, we can't help but see we could've avoided this thread's outcome by trying just a little bit harder to relate...for the squirrels, if for no other reason.

Thank you Fireweed! We all needed to hear this!

whopoopwrasse Guest

I think there was a nasty case of PMS in here

Quote Originally Posted by whopoopwrasse
    I think there was a nasty case of PMS in here
    Well that certainly wouldn't be my excuse, as I am waaay past all that, thankfully.
    If my words upset my fellow members here, I am sorry that they feel that way. I'm not sorry that I said them, as they came straight from my heart after I had read everything squirrelman said he intended to do. Nothing less, nothing more. If he only intended to use the metal box as a NEST box he should have said so, and said it clearly.

Fireweed you tell us they released the little flyers. Obviously, someone's words hit home -- yours, I'm sure. I thank you for achieving that; you have most likely saved the flyers' lives.

I certainly am not perfect. I eat meat, and I wear leather. And I get really pissed at stupid people.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    If my words upset my fellow members here, I am sorry that they feel that way. I'm not sorry that I said them, as they came straight from my heart after I had read everything squirrelman said he intended to do. Nothing less, nothing more. If he only intended to use the metal box as a NEST box he should have said so, and said it clearly.

Fireweed you tell us they released the little flyers. Obviously, someone's words hit home -- yours, I'm sure. I thank you for achieving that; you have most likely saved the flyers' lives.

I certainly am not perfect. I eat meat, and I wear leather. And I get really pissed at stupid people.
    What IR said.
    + =

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?"
    -Gimli, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

I'm with IR & Ardilla..

I don't necessarily think that my posting was hateful, rude maybe, but not hateful. I was just stating facts.

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

"The winds of Heaven blow between the ears of a horse"

I am sorry that squirrelman is not going to come back to TSB. But I stand behind everything I have said on here. Could I have worded it differently? Probably. But it would still have said basically the same thing.

The fact that we all went a little overboard in our replies is regretable. The fact that he refuses to put it behind him and give TSB a chance to help his present squirrel, as well as any future ones, is equally as regretable. The blame, or responsibility, belongs to both sides.

But now it is part of the past. I wish I thought that it would never happen again. but it is inevitable that it will. The huge variety of backgrounds, beliefs, and personalities found on here pretty well guarantees it. The amazing - and wonderful - thing is that it doesn't happen more often!

I am very glad that he is getting help and information from fireweed, and am glad, and relieved, that his squirrel will live a better life. And that the flyers are free to soar through their beloved trees.

muffinsquirrel
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

Shanon, Squammy to...

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    Well that certainly wouldn't be my excuse, as I am waaay past all that, thankfully.

And you have the passion and the heart just like Jackie...and you speak the truth...and you stick with your convictions... with no apologies...

Just so I'm not misunderstood (whether you agree with me or not! ), I want to say that I didn't write my last post with any particular member or post in mind and I certainly don't think anyone has to feel bad or refrain from speaking their truth. And I also think that anger, frustration, tough love, criticism, opinions, and expressions from the heart all have their place, that's for darn sure. I guess I'm just hoping we could think about how the effect of all of our posts put together have the potential to do more harm than good.

As for Squirrelman's intentions, I realize he intended to do some things that none of us agreed with and that were harming or were going to harm the squirrels...but did Squirrelman intend to harm the squirrels? I think the difference is important.

PBluejay2 Guest

IMHO--the goal of each and every one of us is to do what we can to help any and all living creatures that cross our path in any way we can. We have all seen ignorance, willfulness, even belligerance from people who have come into the possession of animals (especially squirrels). I teach rhetoric, and one of the basics of good rhetorical strategy is that you don't attack your opposition if you truly want to convince/persuade/influence that opposition to reconsider his or her position. You only undermine your own credibility if you do and slam the door shut to persuading your audience, and your audience is not those who agree with you but those who don't. If you alienate/offend the person, you have no chance of helping that person to see the light and do the right thing for his or her animal. It might feel good to get things "off your chest," but ultimately, doing so is jeapordizing the welfare of what we care most for, the animal/squirrel itself. I applaud Fireweed. Apparently, she has accomplished what we all wished and/or should have strived to accomplish from the beginning.

Good posting, Muffin and Blue. (that's definitely where I'm coming from, Blue. )

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 1