Thread: squirrel losing fur

marie1428 Guest

Default squirrel losing fur

I have a few squirrels that are being wintered over. One of them is losing fur everywhere except its head,feet, and tail. I have checked it for fleas and mites. Both came back negative. The squirrel that was in the same cage has no hair loss. Could it be due to stress. Any other ideas?

Default Re: squirrel losing fur

It can be about their Diet too.

What is their diet like ?
    Did you check our Squirrel Nutrition forum ?

Squirrel Nutrition Forum

Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels

I am sure more experienced members will give you better information soon.

Open your heart,
    And push the limits..
    (Enigma)

Watch Mia nut hunting from water
    Online-Property-Shop

PBluejay2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by marie1428
    I have a few squirrels that are being wintered over. One of them is losing fur everywhere except its head,feet, and tail. I have checked it for fleas and mites. Both came back negative. The squirrel that was in the same cage has no hair loss. Could it be due to stress. Any other ideas?
    1. As Merman said, check the diet, but if one is losing and another is not, that might not be the case.

2. How did you check for mites? Mites are microscopic, and a skin scraping has to be done to check for burrowing mites.

3. Odd as it is, some squirrels that I have overwintered have molted and others haven't. Lack of cold temperatures seems to keep their winter coat from growing in as fast as it normally would.

marie1428 Guest

Thanks so much for your help! I am starting to think it may be food related. I have been feeding mazuri rodent chow which I bought from the store. I am going to try the rodent blocks suggested on this site. Hopefully it works.

Try adding avocado to the diet.

My Penny has horrible fur loss issues even though she was on the same diet as Otis, whose fur was gtreat. Her fur came back when I added avocado (and freeze dried crickets, but I think flyers eat bugs whereas grays don't). I think some squirrels are more delicate when it comes to diet, and will show signs of diet-related stress even when others on the same diet do fine.
    + =

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?"
    -Gimli, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Adoresquirrels Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ardilla
    Try adding avocado to the diet.

My Penny has horrible fur loss issues even though she was on the same diet as Otis, whose fur was gtreat. Her fur came back when I added avocado (and freeze dried crickets, but I think flyers eat bugs whereas grays don't). I think some squirrels are more delicate when it comes to diet, and will show signs of diet-related stress even when others on the same diet do fine.
    Ardilla-even though this is off topic I just had to say I love your sweet pic of your babies in their Thanksgiving outfits, lol. Too cute. Sorry for the thread jack.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.