Thread: Depressed....Squirrel gone....

LuckytheSquirrel Guest

Default Depressed....Squirrel gone....

Hello everyone..I was the proud owner of Lucky the Squirrel...I have posted here a few times and thought I should let everyone know that he seemed like he wanted to finally stay outside...I took him outside and he took off in a tree...Which isn't usual for him..He usually stays by me...This time though he stayed in the tree and played...He is now gone and I cannot find him..My husband said he saw him using an abandoned nest last night but I didn't see it... I am having the hardest time letting go...I cry all day and night and imagine the worst....What if he's cold? What if he can't find food? What if another squirrel is being mean to him? I go outside and sit under the tree and call for him but he doesn't show his face....

My husband says I need to let it go but I can't stop wondering if he's ok.....I keep feeding the other squirrels around my house and hope they happen to bring him by to eat....maybe look after him for me....

I am getting upset again just writing this so can anyone help me get over the empty feeling??? I feel like I lost a part of my heart.....Thanks to everyone....and I Love you LUCKY!!! You can always come home......

Default Re: Depressed....Squirrel gone....

My heart goes out to you. It's the not knowing that is the worst. It's easy for your husband to say: let go of it. If you could you woudn't have feelings. I don't think you could possibly let go. I've lost a little one & I know the heartache of finality but in your situation, the wondering has to be so painful. Pls. keep us informed. Katherine

Try not to worry about Lucky, he will be just fine. Squirrels have been living outside for years now... But seriously, we have gone through the release thing many times ourselves, and it's always a trying experience. Luck will probably come back around from time-to-time, and will gradually fade off into the trees with his partners. But that's what squirrels do, and you can always be proud that you were part of his young life. It's definitely a bitter-sweet time, that's for sure.
    ~ Squerly

TheSquirrelBoard.com

Honesty is chosing to make the right decision...
    Integrity is chosing to make the right decision even when it hurts...

virgo062 Guest

Lucky is fine and he is also lucky to have someone like you that cares so much for him. I remember when I released my first one I stayed up all night just making sure he was not at the door. Nut Nut takes off sometimes for days and I still worry but he is doing what he does best and loves. Try not to worry to much I am sure Lucky will show up looking for his hand out.

Please don't worry about Lucky, many of us have gone through the same thing. Sometime they show up again and sometimes they don't but that doesn't mean something happened to them. They are just out being who they were meant to be. I think males tend to go off without coming back and some do but not for months later

I always say, if I don't know for sure what has happened, why not think positive?
    Tribute to my dear Wheezer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfmpVgdwCi8
    New favorites squirrel video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu22KiUQFmY

Boy do I know what you are going through - I am torturing myself with this right now. I actually said to him, the day I picked him up and brushed the ants that were trying to start eating him alive off of him, "You are going to break my heart." And he will, one day. He will take off to be a naughty boy squirrel, having all kinds of unprotected sex with girl squirrels and not hanging around to help with the babies and doing all kinds of squirrel things that don't include checking in with his Mommy so she doesn't eat herself alive with worry. And having someone tell me not to worry isn't going to do a darned thing.

Only something that you love completely can hurt you this way. So I'd say Lucky certainly lucked out when he chose a second mommy.

I just went through this with Penelope. She's been gone two and a half months now. She never once has come back home, but one month and one day after she left, I happened upon her while out walking. She was much further from home than I expected, and showed no interest in an up-close encounter. She froze when I called to her and sat where she was and we looked at each other for about half an hour and that was that. Haven't seen her since. I had thought she must be dead when she never came home. I cried every day for two weeks, and fretted myself half to death till I saw her. Now I know she's happy and I have moved on. I stopped leaving out fresh food and water and checking for her constantly. It takes time, but you did the right thing. If you love something, set it free, as they say. It's hard now, but it will get better with time.
    Penelope's Mom

When I go outside I still look up the hill, hoping to catch a glimpse of Sammie. Any squirrel sighting is a rare event now but on the few occasions when I hear one alerting I quietly call out for her.

Wherever she is, I know this. As a lost little baby she called out for help, I gave that to her. As a youngster she cried out to be free, I set her free. And whether she's still around or has gone on to squirrel heaven I'll forever treasure the moment I took her into my hand and the moment she began to explore the world on her own.

Yet I'll never stop thinking about her, and it will be a long time before I no longer look up the hill for her.

Oh how I feel your pain! I released my girls on Halloween. Laverne took to being a wild sq the first day. Shirley came home sometimes for the night, sometimes for a day, for nearly 2 weeks. I think I see them in the yard, but I don't know for sure it is them. I miss them soooooo much! My mom suggested that I get a Sugarglider (sp?) as a replacement b/c I talk about how I miss my girls. I'm just hoping I can foster some more babies when spring comes! And maybe I will consider a Sugarglider after the holidays.
    Hang in there! TSB is full of people who completely understand what you are feeling!

LuckytheSquirrel Guest

Thank you to all of you that posted....I had a feeling I wasn't alone....It's been only 3/4 days now and I still run outside and stare at the tree hoping to see Lucky's head pop up and he comes running to me....I thought I saw him and burst into tears when it wasn't him...I still put food out there and hope the other squirrels will lead him back....The nights are getting cold and I just want to know he's ok..I can't help crying for him..Everything reminds me of him.....I know it will get better.....I love you Lucky....xoxo

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.